Army the most fun to play

pbL`

First of all sorry for my English skills but unfortunately English is not my mother tongue. 

I would like to know what is the Army the most fun to play. I don`t look for a strong army nor a competitive army. We are 3-4 players and at the moment I've mostly super competitive armies, unfortunately, when choosing them I did not spend much time how strong they are. I just liked death and felt in love with OBR and FEC (ok just because of the undead dragons).

Maybe this sounds like a weird flex but it's not meant to be, but I win most of my games. A lot of them are not even close.

So, therefore, I'm thinking of a "fun" army - just an army which is a lot of fun to play and maybe less powerful compared to OBR or FEC.
That leads to may questions: which do you think is the army the most fun to play? Maybe there is an army with a special mechanic (Since I'm new to the game - I don't know all mechanics)

Thanks for your help!

• Like 1

I watched a lot of battle reports when i started with the hobby. I just painted models and then Corona happend so i have Zero experience myself but Sklaven / Skryre looks the most fun to me. 

Strange and weird rules. You can blow up your whole army on your own if you get unlucky with dice. Units like the doomwheel seem fun. I enjoyed every battle report involving Skaven so far. 

• Like 1

Ogors. Hands down.

• Easy to move around so it makes the games quick.
  • They play exactly like you'd expect ogors to play (hit like trucks, somewhat sturdy)
  • Very fair, no sneaky gotcha moments for your opponent, forces you to play good fundamentals. 
  • Still strong enough to win games overall, great internal balance means many different lists are possible and fun.
  • They can play in every phase of the game
  • Might makes right means you always feel in the game, even down models

Other important (But fun things about them)

• Cheap to start (BC start collecting is great value, even the regular gluttons kit is tons of value)
  • Easy to convert
  • Easy to transport (it does indeed matter)

Nobody ever seems to have a bad time playing against my ogors and I never have a bad time playing them. Would highly recommend.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Your questions is understandable.  The main goal of the hobby is to have fun and while for some the only fun is winning, for many people like ourselves it can get pretty boring if its one sided.

One personal example I had is back in 8th Edition Fantasy I built an anti-Magic/Gun Line Dwarf army.  It was awesome at first to lock down the other army and just disintegrate these big bad monsters and elite troops from a distance but it wore out quick.  Neither myself or my opponents were having much fun.  Eventually started playing less powerful but more unique play-style armies like Wood Elves and Tomb Kings. 

Anyway for AoS I don't have as much experience but I would say Kharadron Overlords is a fun but nowhere near overpowered army.  

Hello @pbL`

Your question was very clear and well written. I hope that my response will be clear and hopefully help you. I think the answer to your question is based on personal taste. You can make the armies you currently play more fun by changing your play style, or giving your friends certain advantages to help them out.

But if you really want to try a new army, I would suggest playing something that plays differently. As it is fun to play a new style and challenging to learn a new way to play an army.

Which armies do your friends play? It is helpful to have some variety in your group. 

There's no real answer to your question, instead its a matter of personal perspective. An army that might be fun for me might not be fun for you.

Also it wouldn't be much use if I said Skaven were the most fun, but you happen to hate Skaven models. Even if the army works like you'd enjoy, you'd not likely enjoy the building and painting of an army you dislike. 

So in a way its down to you to make a choice on what you want to play on the tabletop. 

If you want to play Ossiarchs then play Ossiarchs (just mind that they can't ally FEC so you can't zombie dragons with them). There are other ways to lower the power disparity between you and an opponent including:

1) Point differences. If you win a lot against a specific player then you could opt to take a handicap. So you might use 1500 points and they 2000 in a game. This changes the balance of the game and means that you have more of a challenge against you. The idea being that you're balancing your greater skill against your opponents greater force. 

2) Objective instead of kill based games. You might do this already, but in many areas tend to get hooked on just killing models. If you introduce objective play instead of just for kills then it can change things up a lot in how the game plays out. Ossiarchs are a great example of a very durable army that can win many games on kills; but have a harder time against objective scores 

3) Teaching. Yep teaching. Sometimes your opponents lose all the time because they make regular mistakes. If you introduce some teaching games you might start to help them advance their own game skill and how they approach the game. 

• Like 1

Hi all,
Thanks for all the answers. Don't get me wrong, I know an army you enjoy is maybe not the right one for me but therefore just tell me why you like it.
We have  started changing points, but for my mates, that's a little bit difficult, because it makes them feel bad.
We always play objective-based games - at least one of us hates going for kill points.
Át the moment we have an OBR, FEC, Sylvaneth, and SE army and have an Ogor army.

@Overread

While I can see the point on number 1 and 2, I don't think teaching is the right recommendation in this case (see "Since I'm new to the game - I don't know all mechanics"). There is nothing more awkward than a dude who is playing several month starting to give lessons primarily based on the fact he luckily chose an army that's some tiers above the others. Calling it greater skill on number 1 would sound quite arrogant to me as well but maybe wasnt meant in that way. 

@pbL`

I share the attitude about finding a balance between you and your gaming group /gaming partners so that everyone is getting an enjoyable experience. So here would be my take on improving the situation:

• Maybe you could tone down / tailor your lists.  I'd imagine that some machups will be quite daunting anyways, though - no matter how much both of you tailor - its a warhammer-system after all. Adittionally OBRs and FEC are both armies with little variety so there shouldn't be too much room for tailoring.
  • Go for a mid-tier-army while not trying to copy the most successful netlists.  Tiers change minimum twice a year, though... but if you aren't chasing the actual meta it should be fine.
    • For me it would be gloomspite gitz since they are a great contender for the fun-spot. They are a blast to play and there just aren't many things in it that generate negative playexperiences. Overall the book is well written on an enjoyable powerlevel (the latter depends on your expectations obviously). 
    • Furthermore Seraphon were always a fulfilling army to me. Most of their warscrolls are kinda meh but their streghts come from synergies. Because of that you are always in a good position in terms of tailoring and therefore you are able to control the powerlevel of your lists fairly easy. The look of that army is not for everyone though.
    • Honestly I guess most armies with a greater variety of different units should do the trick (SCE, CoS, Khorne, etc.). In the end only you can decide which army is suitable for you. Do you have any preferences?

Edited by Falandris

@Falandris

As you said I spend some time checking which armies I like or better could imagine buying. 

Please let me share my views;

Kharadron Overlords: Spend some time on them, in the end, I've decided against them because everything looks the same and I'm missing variety. 
Seraphon: I like Dinos (who does not?) but I hate most of the old models and the book is to new. This may sound crazy but I don't want to have a new powerhouse. But mainly the old models scare me away. 
Disciples of Tzeentch: To be honest I like almost everything about them but definitely too strong - don't think they are really fun to play against them. 
Khorne: Looks like the book is well balanced - I just fear the power of the big Demons. You are right I could play without them, I love playing Aos because of the big centerpieces, so playing without these is like playing soccer without a ball for me.  I know a lot of people say Khorne lists without these greater demons are stronger, but what I've learned from our games is, that people struggle to fight against 350+ point monsters like the undead dragons or Frostlord on Stonehorn. 
Nighthaunt: I love Death armies but these guys look all the same! No way!
Orruk Warclans: Wow some cool models, especially the Megaboss on Maw-krusha but hey it's a little bit like FEC? Super strong dragonish Monster running around killing stuff? Ohh and my wife hates them.....

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong so far.
I think in the end I'll decide between Skaven and Gloomspite Gitz, but still, if someone is thinking I'm completely wrong with my thoughts about one of the other armies please let me know:

Skaven: I've found some nice and interesting models, I really like the idea of "Hey you want to do more damage, no problem but you maybe die!" They have some cool looking centerpieces and shooting. We do not have a real shooting army so far, so I would love to have one. But at the same time, I don't know if playing against a shooting army is a lot of fun for my opponent? Additionally, is Skaven really a "mid-tier" army? A big plus is that my wife would like to use some of the models for her Nurgle army as well.

Gloomspite Gitz: Hands down they look amazing! These squigs and trolls are AWESOME, I don't think they are a powerhouse by any mean. Could someone please confirm that an army of 1-2 Mangler Squigs, one of these big spiders and some trolls is still considered to be a casual list? I like the look of the army, I've read a lot of good stuff about the book - the only thing I'm missing is the shooting.

There is no discussion that the playstyle of the Skaven would fit me the best. I like magic - in a lot of other games, I like shooting so why not go for them? I have a bad feeling about the enjoyment of the person on the other side of the table.... 

• Like 2

I feel that both the options you listed are great choices. I will say that Skaven can be a little over powered depending on the list. It does seem that your play style seems to lean towards their more competitive side. Maybe focus on one of the 'clans' that is less competitive. 

Gloomspite, is a good option and they do have plenty of shooting for a Destruction army. The thing is that their shooting is fairly weak which might actually appeal to you more. I think that using the different monsters you listed would not be particularly overpowered since they have very different synergies. 

I like that both of these armies have lots of options and that they are both very fun in terms of random funny things that can occur with both armies.

I am still in the learning process as well, so someone with more experiences will likely give you more information.

As to answer your earlier question why I picked the armies I play.

I play Slaves to Darkness and Idoneth Deepkin. I like 'elite' armies, even if horde armies do better competitively. Slaves to Darkness was my first choice because I played Chaos in warhammer fantasy and love the models and lore. I think there is something fun about playing as big metal warriors overwhelmed by hordes of enemies but still coming out on top. They make me think of Sauron in the opening scene of the Lord of the Rings film. I also like having demons mix into my army as well as it gives me variety in my collecting and painting. I chose Idoneth because I wanted a very different army from my Slaves to Darkness and I used to play Dark Elves and love the idea of sea faring elves. I like that they are very fast and have a hit and run style of playing that is different from Chaos. My family live by the sea, and I grew up with lots of stories about sea monsters and so they also appeal to my own family history.

Edited by Neverchosen

On 5/12/2020 at 8:00 AM, pbL` said:

Gloomspite Gitz: Hands down they look amazing! These squigs and trolls are AWESOME, I don't think they are a powerhouse by any mean. Could someone please confirm that an army of 1-2 Mangler Squigs, one of these big spiders and some trolls is still considered to be a casual list? I like the look of the army, I've read a lot of good stuff about the book - the only thing I'm missing is the shooting.

Honestly you answered your own question here, Gloomspite personify fun. Just balance anything big with more random jumping Squigs and you'll both be on a wild ride.

As for shooting you got grot archers and rock-throwing troggoths otherwise there's always mercs to add to your force for that. (Some Fyreslayer magma pikes to light up the enemy and roast grot celebration mushrooms wouldn't go amiss ;) )

Edit: Plus you can always branch out to other Destruction factions like Ogors & Ironjawz for more fun and crazy combinations like gun ogors to cover the advance of mad-hopping Squig knights or orruks pumped up by Da Bad Moon careening overhead.

Edited by Baron Klatz

I’ll start off by agreeing with @Frowny that in my own personal experience Ogors are by far the most fun army to play, having played both BCR and Gutbusters centric lists.  Like the big centerpiece but don’t want to be too OP throw in a FLoSH as part of an otherwise Gutbuster-based list and you should be fine.  But you’ve noted you already have Mawtribes represented in your friendly local gaming group so let’s move on.

I can’t speak much to the squig side of Gloomspite Gitz beyond noting that the manager of the FLGS runs them and couldn’t speak more highly of them.  Similarly Trogs look great but haven’t made it onto our tables.  In our gaming group though we did run for quite awhile the other parts of the faction and the Spiderfang Grots proved a particularly fun sub-faction to play and play against.  I know another player in an associated gaming group we meet up with once a year for a friendly tournament is going all in on Squigs and has been loving it.  So of the two options you’re leaning towards that’s the one that gets my vote.

If you’re interested in still considering other options here’s some quick thoughts on the other factions in my gaming group that I can speak directly towards:

Nurgle is tricky.  On the one hand I think it is one of the best factions to learn to play with and with a very dedicated Nurgle player in our group I’ve had a lot of fun & memorable games against them (including with FEC, love those undead beasts as well).  But other opponents get frustrated playing against all the wound negation options and Artefacts like Witherstave.

I’ve come to prefer Khorne Mortals over Khorne Daemons but if you really have to have those big center piece models and are willing to go ForgeWorld could I suggest adding Mazarall the Butcher to an otherwise Mortals-centric list?  He’s an amazing centerpiece and a lot of fun to play.  Bonus, he doesn’t even count against your HERO slots!  After Ogors, Khorne Mortals have arguably been the most fun to play and play against in our gaming group.

Sylvaneth will likely be leaving our group soon as that player moves on to another army.  Dryad spam wasn’t terribly fun for either side but we did have a good run with Spite Revenants and Kurnoth Hunters.  The Wyldwoods the big issue with these in our perspective as both sides often were frustrated by the time it took to get them placed.  Curious what your group’s experience with them has been?

Kharadron Overlords play very different from anything else we have in our group due to their combination of movement & shooting.  New tome seems to fix a lot of issues.  Our experience has been that KO is better as a change of pace army than a first choice army.

If you want to go a bit more esoteric than there’s Legion of Azgorh.  We’ve seen both sides and my personal bias is towards the Execution Herd and a couple Magma Cannons but another player in our group favors the Chaos Dwarves and a full Hashut Artillery Train of MCs.  In either case a fun ally (Execution Herd plus Skarbrand has been a hit, Be’lakor favored on the other side) can be the secret to making the list more fun to play and play against.

Can’t speak to OBR but will say in our gaming group while FEC started out very dominant the other players found good ways to adapt to it.  And for a low unit options army even a switch from Gristelgore to Blisterkin can really change things up.

Anyway, if nothing else walking through this made me feel fortunate that I’ve gotten to play with & against so many different factions in my local gaming group.  Hope you’re able to find something fun to add to yours!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gloomspite Gitz would be my personal pick, although I am definitely biased as they are my favorite army in general. They have a ton of variety in unit choices, and nearly all of the options are useful in building an army, but none are really to overpowered. 

I haven't played them, but skaven seem super fun to. 

I will say painting all the foot infantry for either army might not be super enjoyable, but with contrast paint it should be a bit easier now. 

Edited by Pariah
  • Like 1

Hey,

I like the Idea of sharing experiences with all the armies you play and play against. To give a rough framework – I tend to play solely games of 1250 points - I could play way more but for mee it seems to be the perfect level.

Experiences with Armies that I play:

Orruk Warclans

From my point of view a book with the potential to compete on every level and maintaining the fun for every player involved. I personally tend to fill my lists with a little bit of everything available and feel like these are great for casual play. Bringing a Maw Krusha in a game of 1250 points can be frustrating for several armies, though – so you might be right in your assumption that you could face similar problems as with FEC. In my opinion Ironjaws and Bonesplitters don’t mix particularly well (visually and gamingwise) and most of the time it’s better to concentrate on one of them, leaving you with lesser options than with other armies.

Gloomspite Gitz

There are so many ways to design your lists, it’s crazy. Therefore, it should never get boring with these guys. Depending on your subfactionchoice you may struggle to compete with the more potent armies like Tzeench, Slaanesh, OBR, whatever. I would say the effectiveness behaves like this: Mixed > Moonclan > Squigs > Trolls > Spiderfang. I played all of them and can say that while not the most potent they are all extremely fun to play, this army is amazing. And these models… stunning with an extremely high degree of lovely hidden details.

Seraphon

I like the variety of lists they offer. The community of this army is so unique and amazing as well. But since you excluded them because of their visuals I won’t get further into detail here.

Mentionable experiences against armies I played against and which might interest you:

Skaven

Before their actual tome they were on an average level and everyone seemed to play Stormfiends-heavy which wasn’t much fun to play against. With their new book I agree to what @Neverchosen said: depending on your list they can be a bit frustrating to play against.  When I played against them it was a lot about Verminlords, Jezails, Plaguemonks and such stuff... I guess there are ways to build less frustrating lists but to be honest I never faced one of those.

Tzeench + Slaanesh

It seems to be an impossible task for players to create a list that doesn’t feel way above the curve. It’s just so frustrating going up against these guys whithout optimizing your own list. From my point of view I wouldn’t recommend going into them since it won’t help you in your current situation.

Khorne:

Their tome is similar to the Gitz-one since there are so many ways you can play them. You mentioned that you like the big monsters so they could be very suitable for you. From my perspective most of their stuff is playable which includes the greater daemons as well. For example, I don’t read too much positive things about Skarbrand but in the games I faced him I always got crushed relentlessly. The other Greater Daemons feel strong as well, there is even a list consisting only out of these greater daemons, which even was fairly competitive – maybe not the right one for your group though. Over the time I faced several different Khorne lists and most of them were pretty fun to play against.

SCE:

There are so many ways to build your army but most of the time you only see one specific build which abuses some weird rule. I feel like there is much potential but haven’t played them in a while.

Sylvaneth:

Before their actual book book they always felt so annoying to play against since nothing died, there always was a special rule for everything and their woods most of the time felt like a negative playexperience to me (including discussions about pre-deployed scenery). With the new book they seem to struggle a bit to compete, though.

To conclude: From what I've read so far, Gitz or Khorne seem like the best fit for your request.

As most other already told you: depend on what you call "fun". So, here a little "strategy to decide"

1: define "fun"

2: define "timeline" : is it an army "one shot lets have fun" or is it something you want to play for a long time, build around it etc...

3: what do I like? aesthetically,  lore, gameplay...

4: budget.

I can't decide for you but I have few suggestions. Ogors are  indeed interesting and not that expensive, especially with a pseudo spammable Start collecting! .

I tend today to invest in armies that have a wide range of miniatures. Skaven are in this category.  

But you have some ultimate choice if you want ultimate richness of builds...and fun : chosing an army that have possibilities outside  its own battletome. I have 3 main examples:

1: Cities of Sigmar + stormcast or whatever order (KO etc..) Not the best example but it works.

2: LoN + some NH or (more efficient) + OBR

3: My actual ultimate choice: chaos !!  I am building DoT army during lockdown. This is probably one of the richest tome we have. So many things to have a blast with. So many fun things! Infinite builds, from "with ton of fun" to "top tier". They can do whatever you like (assuming you like the design). gret movment (mounted on discs) great infantry, great gunline, so many magic , etc... From infinite build, you can go to double infinite build by adding StD. In fact, I started with StD and then went DoT. And this is not finish: From StD, you can fo all 4 chaos gods, or Archaon etc... So, you got me? 

You want fun? Try magic with some endless spells that make weird effects in glass canon list.  Try  a list full of disks (skyfire/enlighten, gaunt, magisters,shaman  etc...) with Kairos or LoC who play cat and mouse game and summon some spawns everywhere. ...

Gloomspire Gitz are a ton of fun, have lots of options, great new sculpts and generally are a lot of fun to play against, which is important if you're mostly playing the same group.  

Cities of Sigmar is an interesting setup as well, as this will make a good army to build into, based upon what you enjoy as you play.  Like fantasy marines?  Go Stormcast, like mortals?  Build them up.  Lot's of directions you can go and very fun thematically.  

I'm a big fan of Daughters of Khaine as well, I think they are a good mixture of finesse and hammer.