Are tzeentch fun to play against?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Are tzeentch fun to play against?

• Never
    • Sometimes, with more casual lists
    • Sometimes, but not with the most competitive lists
    • Always

Hi there

I'm thinking of starting tzeentch partly because I like some of the ideas and some of the models but I'm worried they are not that fun for the opposition. That's certainly been my experience when I've been against them, with occasionally feeling totally outgunned and not in a good way.

I would want to ensure that any list I started is fun for both parties. 

Thoughts?

Well, 

current bad reputation aside the DoTzeentch Battletome has mostly well designed and fun warscrolls. 

Just stay away from the broken sub-factions and try to not be extreme ( just magic/shooting leads to onesided Games... they either fail miserably or dominante). 

I do not think anyone will honestly call some Tzaangor / Skyfire / Hero list unfun to play. And most people i know have exactly that list as it used to be the only one that worked for Tzeentch ;)

My main problem with the new (sort of) direction with DoT is that it is so efficient at shooting. The army is definitely not unbeatable but most optimised builds comes down to can you remove enough of your opponents army with the initial shooting/spell casting or not.

While loosing is never fun - people tend to get a worse gaming experience if they don’t even get to engage.

Well I guess it depends.

I’ve tried them out with a few mortals from the slave to darkness side and combined it with mostly beasts of chaos and a few daemon characters.

I played against a skeleton horde Kept  alive by 4-5Necromancers and Nagahs’s right hand personally.

In the end I just barely survived the tide of undead, although I killed most of his heroes and somehow won through victory points.

which was kinda hilarious.

I think what really changed my game was basically the 9fate dies that allowed me to kill  nagash’s right hand in the most perplex situation and allowed me to keep some of my heroes alive, for a certain time.

Edited by Skreech Verminking

On 5/8/2020 at 11:06 AM, Koala said:

Well, 

current bad reputation aside the DoTzeentch Battletome has mostly well designed and fun warscrolls. 

Just stay away from the broken sub-factions and try to not be extreme ( just magic/shooting leads to onesided Games... they either fail miserably or dominante). 

I do not think anyone will honestly call some Tzaangor / Skyfire / Hero list unfun to play. And most people i know have exactly that list as it used to be the only one that worked for Tzeentch ;)

This goes for pretty much every army. You need to talk with your opponent and kind of match what you both want from it. 
not every army can feel broken and unfun in very competitive matches but every army can scale down. 

so tzeentch is very cool in that regard. No matter what you or your opponent want from it you can match that ‘intensity’ of army. 
And easy to mix in mortal slaves to darkness if that takes your fancy.  

Mix and match Tzeentch models (I'm talking about Arcanites and Daemons, maybe even StD) and you're far from broken and a lot of fun to play against if your group doesn't powergame. If they do, you're allowed to play cheesy lists as well. It really depends on the playstyle of your group but in general a relaxed setting leads to more fun for everyone. In our group they hate(d) certain aspects but either learned to deal with them, they got nerfed or I changed them.

• 1 month later...

My buddies have fun against my Pyrofane Cult, Hosts Arcanum and Unafiliated Tzeentch lists; and my enlightened on discs are the boogeymen of our local “meta”.  I don’t really run any horrors other than what I get with the Gaunt Summoner because splitting is NPE for myself. Also, I don’t really run Flamers.

The ones that have the reputation of being NPE in our play area are a Dual Stonehorns list and Ironjawz.

Changehost specifically has always been a terrible play experience whenever I run it though.

Edited by Sinfullyvannila

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 12:05 AM, Maddpainting said:

Not all Tzeentch lists are top tier. Only 1 style of DOT is. The book supports other styles. So it depends on what your opponent is playing. 

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 12:05 AM, Maddpainting said:

Not all Tzeentch lists are top tier. Only 1 style of DOT is. The book supports other styles. So it depends on what your opponent is playing. 

Oie Maddpainting gets it!

Everyone up in arms because Tzeentch was top tier at Cancon 2020 with Changehost (the best battalion for Daemons only), coupled with the right Coven, pre lock down (minimal stats since), and Changehost got FAQ'd/nerfed straight away.

Pink Horrors now work like they should have from the beginning, Gaunts now work way better because you can't take a Baleful realmgate in most tournaments anyway so their ability was void pre new book, flamers finally do something etc and the list goes on.

What the new tome did was bring them up to a standard where you can take OTHER things OTHER than Changehost hey. In the previous tome there were some good things you could take Battallion wise, but Changehost was the only Battallion worth looking at other than Arcanite Spam and then if you took Tzaangors back then you were "that guy". It also brought Tzeentch to a level where it wouldn't just get tabled. I was playing them in their last tome and if I didn't run Changehost, I barely stood up against most opponents because I wasn't running Arcanites. Losing a Hero that you need to summon in Blues/Brims because of how the Pinks used to work, man that was annoying and almost made the pinks not even worth it imo.

People need to chill and remember that Tzeentch has been under performing in so many ways before the new tome, and there are bigger things to worry about now days!

Honestly, their new tome has given them so many options and they are a lot of fun to play. You really can get either Melee Heavy, Shooting Heavy or just Magic Heavy, but you cant do ALL at once in a list imo!

I say jump right in, pick either Daemons or Arcanites to start with, and expand from there! The Start collecting box for the Daemon side of things is such great value for what you get! Grab two of these if you want to start with daemons because you just have that many options of what you can turn them into (I converted my blue scribes from this box and still have so many spare bits for other things)!