The Root Kings: A Living City Duardin Army

The Root Kings: A Living City Army

cropped-large-img_0427_2-bd7420c6f5b90b63f38d2b507f2301e42.jpg?w=922

Hello everyone, 

Here is the start of my Root Kings Cities of Sigmar Army. I discovered the above art from Sometimes Minis blog last month and became fascinated by the concept of druidic dwarfs. After plenty of planning I've decided to aim for the below 1k army list.

Lords:

Warden King - 110pts (plan is to convert this chap up so he could also be used as Gotrekas well)

Rune Lord - 90pts

Battleline:

Hammers-140pts

Ironbreakers-130pts

Irondrakes- 150pts

Other:

2x Gyrobombers-160pts

Kurnoth Hunters- 200pts

I plan on doing plenty of conversions, so keep an eye out for them!

• Like 4

Stone Breaker Test Mini

20200507_155456.jpg?width=677&height=677

20200507_155511.jpg?width=677&height=677

20200507_155522.jpg?width=677&height=677

20200507_155545.jpg?width=677&height=677

So here is my test mini for my Ironbreaker unit. You may of noticed the lack of armour, well metal armour felt wrong for them, so instead I've gone for a mix of stone armour and then arcane runes that make there skin as hard as stone. As for the weapon, the tiny bit of lore we have on the Root-Kings is that they can make weapons out of the seedpod of a devourer plant, so I'm painting up there blades like rose thorns.

Originally I tried doing a basic dirt and grass basing but found that it made the model overall look quote dull. To combat this I gave it an Autumn theme instead which I think looks great against all the green.

What do you all think?

• Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 5

1 hour ago, TheMadJester said:

Stone Breaker Test Mini

20200507_155456.jpg?width=677&height=677

20200507_155511.jpg?width=677&height=677

20200507_155522.jpg?width=677&height=677

20200507_155545.jpg?width=677&height=677

So here is my test mini for my Ironbreaker unit. You may of noticed the lack of armour, well metal armour felt wrong for them, so instead I've gone for a mix of stone armour and then arcane runes that make there skin as hard as stone. As for the weapon, the tiny bit of lore we have on the Root-Kings is that they can make weapons out of the seedpod of a devourer plant, so I'm painting up there blades like rose thorns.

Originally I tried doing a basic dirt and grass basing but found that it made the model overall look quote dull. To combat this I gave it an Autumn theme instead which I think looks great against all the green.

What do you all think?

This is absolutely amazing, I love seeing more Duardin!

• Thanks 1

Consideration: it looks like you're using one of the 32mm bases the fyreslayer came with. Ironbreakers are just 1W models and are on 25s. Not sure what you're planning to use them army for, but that's a pretty big base size difference. Big enough to be... concerning.

5 hours ago, NauticalSoup said:

Consideration: it looks like you're using one of the 32mm bases the fyreslayer came with. Ironbreakers are just 1W models and are on 25s. Not sure what you're planning to use them army for, but that's a pretty big base size difference. Big enough to be... concerning.

Ahhh didn't realise that, I play exclusively casually so I doubt it would be an issue but I'll have to look into getting the right base size. 

1 hour ago, Kyriakin said:

I love the Stone Breaker and the overall concept, but the Vine Lord's visually dominant ethereal elements make him look a little bit less organic to me.

Thanks! The idea with the Vine Lord is that, where most of them make use of the natural world around them, the Vine Lord has developed an magical kinship with it, giving him similar magics and style to that of the sylvaneth. 

Stone Shaper Warden

(Gyrobomber)

20200511_234353.jpg?width=677&height=67720200511_234333.jpg?width=677&height=67720200511_234409.jpg?width=677&height=67720200511_234420.jpg?width=677&height=67720200511_234430.jpg?width=677&height=677

Here is my WIP Gyrobomber for the Dwarves. I had been struggling trying to work out how I wanted to model my gyrobombers, originally I was  thinking of having dwarves ride eagles or some other creature but they all felt to big. Instead what I've gone for is a drudic dwarf using the earth round him as transport and projectiles. Very much inspired by earth benders in Avatar, I feel this fits the army well, but is also unique.

What do you lot think?

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 6

I love it! Believe it or not, I was going to post asking SOMEONE to use that art to convert nature Dwarves, when I found this blog. please keep feeding us glorious pictures, fellow druid! By root and stone!

Edited by AthelLoren
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, TheMadJester said:

Current plan will be to have 3 Kurnoth Hunters in the 1k army, then I'll be adding treemen and some other stuff at higher point games.

Plenty of conversions in mind !

Do you know that you can also run Sylvaneth as Ironbark Glade, and take Dispossessed/Fyreslayers as allies?

Gives the opportunity to run something a bit different rules-wise occasionally.

Edited by Kyriakin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Kyriakin said:

Do you know that you can also run Sylvaneth as Ironbark Glade, and take Dispossessed/Fyreslayers as allies?

Gives the opportunity to run something a bit different rules-wise occasionally.

I wasn't aware! I might have a look into it. but for now Cities of Sigmar. I've recently re-worked my list as well to allow for more conversions.

Lords
Rune Lord - 90

Tree Lord Ancient - 260

Battleline

Hammers - 140

Ironbreakers - 130

Irondrakes - 150

Others

Gyrobombers x 3 - 210

• Like 1

The Stone Shaper Wardens

Duardin well versed in earthly magics, they shape the ground around them, allowing them to move rapidly across the battlefield and launch rocks at incredible speeds towards those who seek to harm their realm. After battles they would seek to repair the damaged earth of the battlefield, by their or the enemies doing.

No photo description available.No photo description available.No photo description available.No photo description available.No photo description available.

• LOVE IT! 4

20 hours ago, TheMadJester said:

The Stone Shaper Wardens

Duardin well versed in earthly magics, they shape the ground around them, allowing them to move rapidly across the battlefield and launch rocks at incredible speeds towards those who seek to harm their realm. After battles they would seek to repair the damaged earth of the battlefield, by their or the enemies doing.

No photo description available.No photo description available.No photo description available.No photo description available.No photo description available.

I really want to see these guys painted, they looks so amazing!

• Like 1

World Shaper Lord Concept

Currently i'm trying to work out how I want to model my Tree Lord, I currently have 2 concepts in mind. 

First idea is a dwarvish version of the tree lord, rather than a tall slim ent like creature, it would be a mix of stone and plant built up around a dwarf. It could blend the classic dwarf golem concept and sylvaneth look. Inspiration below.

Earth Golem Card Art by Sk8trnik | Fantasy monster, Creature art ...

The 2nd idea would be more of a summoned nature spirit made of stone and plants, floating above a druidic dwarf. this would be a bit more difficult to sculpt but I could make use of techniques used to make the Stone Shapers. Inspiration below.

ArtStation - earth elemental, Ilya Abdrakhimov | Concept art ...

What do you lot think? Any other ideas of how I could do it?

• Like 3