Anvilgard 1000 points

TheRealSigmar

So I’ve just been toying with the idea of buying 3 of the Start Collecting Anvilgard boxes, which works out to 1080 points all told. What are the thoughts on this is a competitive 1k list?

it consists of the following;

Black Ark Fleetmaster x3 - 180

Black Ark Corsairs x30 - 240

Scourgerunner Chariots x3 - 150

Kharibdyss x3 - 510

total - 1080 pts

Edited by TheRealSigmar

one thing first: plz give your army list a continous format. It is bad to read.

Well in this configuration I do not think it is a very competitive list, but it depends strongly what you are up against and which lists. The best unit in the list are the Scourgerunner Chariots. The lists competitiveness grows with those. If it is possible I would suggest to buy 10 more Corsairs to make it a 40 aelf blob. This one can be a tough nut to crack on a objective.

The fleetmasters are cheap, but very squishy. Overall your winning condition are mission objective not damage I think. 

Do you like the models?  Sure, go for it.  However, the only model in the list that makes competitive lists sometimes is the scourgerunner chariots.  Everything else doesn't have the power to compete.

The Black Ark Fleetmaster has literally 2 things going for him - he's cheap, and he makes scourgerunner chariots battleline.  There is never a reason to run more than 1 of them for the battleline, and any additional ones are realistically a waste of space in the list.  Once he's on the battlefield, he's kind of useless except in missions where hero's get bonuses to capturing objectives.

The corsairs are a terrible warscroll as well.  With the hand crossbows, they deal an average of 1 wound every 2 models, which would be fine if they could do it at 18"+.  However, the 9" range makes it so that they realistically can get into range, shoot, charge, and then you remember just how terrible they are in melee.  The ONLY real way to try to make them useful is if you arm them with 2 blades, in tempest eye, and try to buff them to 6 attacks each (though almost any other unit would be better) between the spell and the fleetmaster's command ability.

Next, the Kharybdiss (or the hydra, which you can build from the same sprue).  While they are undoubtably cool models, they are too inefficient for their points to be competitive.  Casual?  Go for it.  But competitively you would be better focusing those points on a more efficient unit.  However, do be aware that if you want to run 3 at 1k points you HAVE to go anvilguard because otherwise you would exceed your behemoth limit (2 for 1000 point games).

Lastly, the chariots.  Points wise, they are actually one of the most efficient shooting units available to the cities.  They also have huge bases which makes it easy for them to deny space (assuming you are playing with any halfway decent amount of terrain).  However, as you can see... efficient for their points doesn't fill up your army list all that much.

So if you love the models and want to play them, then go for it casually.  But most of those units won't see play in a competitive list, and if you are looking to play the cities competitively I would recommend looking elsewhere to start your collection.

17 hours ago, TheRealSigmar said:

So I’ve just been toying with the idea of buying 3 of the Start Collecting Anvilgard boxes, which works out to 1080 points all told. What are the thoughts on this is a competitive 1k list?

it consists of the following;

Black Ark Fleetmaster x3 - 180

Black Ark Corsairs x30 - 240

Scourgerunner Chariots x3 - 150

Kharibdyss x3 - 510

total - 1080 pts

...ah yeah. If you take the 10 additional corsairs you will drop one Kharibdyss. Can the rest of the points be filled?

3 hours ago, Kaleun said:

...ah yeah. If you take the 10 additional corsairs you will drop one Kharibdyss. Can the rest of the points be filled?

This could be something along those lines;

Black Ark Fleetmaster - 60

40x Corsairs - 280

3x Scourgerunner Chariots - 150

Hydra - 170

Hydra - 170

Hydra - 170

Total - 1000

Edited by TheRealSigmar

3 hours ago, TheRealSigmar said:

40x Corsairs - 280

Hydra - 170

Hydra - 170

Hydra - 170

Total - 1000

I think this would be a great army to learn with, and will be a relatively cheap way to get to 1000pts. However I can't say that it will be competitive. But thats totally fine. If you like the models then get them.

However I would definitely convert your 2 extra Fleetmasters into Sorcerers or Battlemages though. Anvilguard has arguably THE MOST powerful spell in the game with Vitrolic Spray. So you definitely at least want a shot at casting it.

If you want to be truly competitive with Dark Elves in a Cities army, then Black Guard, Darkshards, Sorceresses, and Dreadlords are probably a better idea. But unfortunately they don't have a Start Collecting kit :(

16 hours ago, TheRealSigmar said:

40x Corsairs - 280

Hydra - 170

Hydra - 170

Hydra - 170

Total - 1000

ok this looks fine and scaly. A few things: 

1) as @readercolin mentioned already, you are forced to take Anvilguard in this configuration with the 3 behemoths

2) I think you did the best possible setup you could achieve with your model planning. However I wouldnt build and paint all 3 Hydras. Swap one for a Kharybdiss if you want to to make your hobby feeling more diverse. Khary is a bit weaker then the Hydra, but she is such a beauty ❤️

My Hydra/Kharybdiss (her name is Scylla) is completely magnetised so I can swap the heads and the tail. It was a big effort but worth in my opinion. It will be tricky with the color scheme though, but it works. 

Overall I think you will enjoy your army. Give it a story and a background!

• 6 months later...

I guess will remain to been loyalist :D

So army idea with Shadowblades:

Assasin - 80 (General)

Assasin - 80

Assasin - 80 

Assasin - 80 

10 Shadow Warriors - 110

10 Shadow Warriors - 110 

10 Shadow Warriors - 110 

War Hydra - 170 

War Hydra - 170 

Total: 990 point 

Is it can be good and competitive ? 

On 11/21/2020 at 1:57 AM, Antali said:

Hello for everyone. I would like to play with mostly Shadowblades unites. Starting with 1000 point army. What is your thoughts, can be a competitive army?
ShadowBlades.pdf 5.73 MB · 4 downloads

Define what you mean by competitive? 

From my perspective, I don't see much competitive games at 1000pts, even counting meeting engagements. 

At 2k points, if you are playing Anvilguard, it's already not really competitive. However lists like  the below could work, and is as optimized for Anvilguard as they come: 

If you are building towards competitive and want to fill 1k points, I think 1 start collecting and 1 Kraeth's shadowpact box makes more sense. It'll give you 1040 points total, and nothing is terrible, helps you to figure out what you want eventually.