War machine picking targets

The Jabber Tzeentch

Question

Annoyingly the new Grand Alliance boom didn't clarify this on the warscrolls. What's your thoughts and reasoning?

When a war machine is attacked in shooting or combat, who chooses if it's either the war machine or crew that are targets? 

Can the attacker choose to target the crew or the warmachine in shooting? Or does the whole Warscroll have to be targeted and then the owner decides where wounds are allocated?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

We always play it as the defender can pick where to start allocating wounds. But once you have started to allocate wounds to a model you must continue to do so until it is slain (SCGT house rules).

It's subtly different from that from memory, you have to pick the majority save first, e.g. if two crew and 1 machine, you go with the crew. Thereafter, as you say, you stick with the model already damaged.

On 6/3/2016 at 4:37 PM, hobgoblinclub said:

Ah sorry, that's just the one I meant. Assumed you'd not seen it. We had some serious debate about this one. Being able to target crew separately has definitely put me off running dwarfs. 

I think war machines are a thing of the past....it seems that most units like that are now do not have separate crew, instead the crew are integral part of the unit itself...I think the only ones left now are old units and they don't seem to be releasing anything new like that....I am surprised they didn't change those as well to include the crew in the statline already

The draft FAQs address this from memory - basically - you can shoot the crew - attacker picks. 

Also from memory, I think the SCGT house rule on this point was deleted following the actual tournament, so the GW rule would stand.

2 hours ago, stocke2 said:

when did they put out an official FAQ?....the initial FAQ on facebook was not finalized and they said they were going to release an official one shortly...and yes I believe they say you pick between weapon and crew

Ah sorry, that's just the one I meant. Assumed you'd not seen it. We had some serious debate about this one. Being able to target crew separately has definitely put me off running dwarfs. 

14 minutes ago, hobgoblinclub said:

They put out an official FAQ and ruled you could pick between the crew and the warmachine when targeting them, I think. 

Hang on, I'll try and find the FAQ... 

Does this link work? https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=468270803369718&id=452117934985005&set=pcb.468272163369582&source=48

when did they put out an official FAQ?....the initial FAQ on facebook was not finalized and they said they were going to release an official one shortly...and yes I believe they say you pick between weapon and crew

1 hour ago, stocke2 said:

you're right, the way they put pictures for both threw me off....I don't expect them to put rules clarifications like that in warscrolls though...I expect they will pus put an official faq soon, and hopefully update the rules sheet...and I expect they may clarify things like this in the generals companion book this summer

They put out an official FAQ and ruled you could pick between the crew and the warmachine when targeting them, I think. 

Hang on, I'll try and find the FAQ... 

Does this link work? https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=468270803369718&id=452117934985005&set=pcb.468272163369582&source=48

On 5/12/2016 at 3:58 PM, hobgoblinclub said:

Yep.  This would be much easier.  I imagine any future releases (if we ever see warmachines again) will be single based.

you're right, the way they put pictures for both threw me off....I don't expect them to put rules clarifications like that in warscrolls though...I expect they will pus put an official faq soon, and hopefully update the rules sheet...and I expect they may clarify things like this in the generals companion book this summer

1 hour ago, stocke2 said:

no need to clarify on the second warscroll because it is no longer a "WAR MACHINE"(look at the keywords) and does not have a separate crew,  they can not be killed by themselves...they are part of the cannon

They're two separate units (sort of rolled into one).

'A warmachine and a unit of duardin crew.'

On 4/21/2016 at 2:35 AM, The Jabber Tzeentch said:

Annoyingly the new Grand Alliance boom didn't clarify this on the warscrolls. What's your thoughts and reasoning?

When a war machine is attacked in shooting or combat, who chooses if it's either the war machine or crew that are targets? 

Can the attacker choose to target the crew or the warmachine in shooting? Or does the whole Warscroll have to be targeted and then the owner decides where wounds are allocated?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

no need to clarify on the second warscroll because it is no longer a "WAR MACHINE"(look at the keywords) and does not have a separate crew,  they can not be killed by themselves...they are part of the cannon

If you are playing at an event, best to check with the TO or house rules. I would hope they just remove crew from the game in future as they have done with the Warp Lightning Cannon and Plague Claw, just put it all in one scroll, up the wounds and remove any need to targeting issues or FAQ's.

According the the draft FAQ they are targeted separately, so I imagine that the attacker chooses which to hit.

Q: With war machines and crew, how should you allocate wounds?

A: A war machine and its crew are two separate units, and so must be targeted separately.

Archived