start khorne mortal army advice

Louis wehrlen

hello everyone, 

do you have some advice with khorne armies, I already read about the necessity of the bloodsecrator, the slaughterpriests and the bloodstoker. I also read that warmongers and aspiring deathbringer are good units. Is it units which are not advised ? are adding slaves to darkness armies like marauders, chaos warriors and chaos knights a good idea? 

I will play for fun but I would like a lasting army nevertheless,

thank you in advance for your answers. 

First off, welcome to the wonderful world of Khorne!  The Blood God eagerly awaits your Blood Tithe and all the skulls you are sure to add to the Skull Throne.

By choosing the Mortals side of the faction you’ve ensured yourself of plenty of options so really a lot of the advice will depend on what you consider fun?  Love having massive hordes rampaging across the table and don’t care that many will sacrificed to wrack up your Blood Tithe?  Than Reavers and Marauders (if you can find and don’t mind the models or identify a good proxy for) are a good choice and the rest is about maximizing their potential wit( your buffing units.  Enjoy hard hitting heavy cavalry, then strongly consider a Brass Stampede of Mighty Skullcrushers (though to get to your Slaves to Darkness query, I am very fond of running the Chaos Lord on Karkadrak alongside them either instead of or in addition to the Mighty Lord on Juggernaut).

Since I am a far bigger fan of the Bloodsecrator and enjoy having a multiple Slaughterpriests I almost always start my lists with Gore Pilgrims, which can also allow me to address all my battlelines. If you’re going to focus primarily on the ground game Wrathmongers, either stand alone or as part of Bloodforged Battalion are always a fun addition.  (And a big plus with Khorne Mortals is how easy it is to run double-battalions and pick up the extra artefacts and CP if you need them...).  Or again, if you want more movement than a Mighty Skullcrushers are a great way to go.

In my opinion, the STD Chaos Warriors and Chaos Knights don’t currently give us much that we can’t get better internally.  But if you enjoy them go for it and if you picked up the STD start collecting kit that got you a great option again in the Chaos Lord on Karkadrak (and gives him something to use his Command Ability on).  If you want to go super crazy on the non-Blades of Khorne Khorne options then there’s always Doombull & Bullgors in Brass Despoilers from Beasts of Chaos.  If you’re willing to consider adding daemons that fit nicely in with mortals I highly recommend Flash Hounds and/or Karanak.

While the non-summoning Blood Tithe table should not be ignored you probably will also want at least a few summoning options which does mean you’ll want a few daemons anyway.  Flesh Hounds, Bloodcrushers (particularly if you skipped Skull Crushers) and at least one Bloodthirster are probably enough to at least have your opponent worried about what you might do.

But if you only take one thing away from this it should be that Khorne Mortals are incredibly flexible so figure out first what play style you’lll get the most out of and then tweaking up or down depending on level of competition is a matter of adding or subtracting buffing units, potent allies, or switching artefacts and/or sub-factions. The added benefit is that, because the AoS meta is always in flux something flexible like Khorne Mortals is better long-term than something that will get nerfed into oblivion with the next FAQ or see its cost go way up in the next General’s Handbook.

Finally a Skull Altar is basically a must given the buff to Slaughterpriests and that it costs you nothing points wise.  Given the amount of spell casting in the last few releases (TZ, Seraphon, and more coming with the pointy aelves...) I’d also strongly recommend the Endless Spells, in particular the Hexgorger Skulls, but the Wrath-Axe also very good.

Edited by Beer & Pretzels Gamer
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

You already got a lot of good advice, but also check out the Blades of Khorne endless discussion thread too. Everyone there will gladly give you feedback on lists or whatever. If you scorn loathsome sorcery, you will be welcomed:

• Like 1