A little collaborative AoS writing project...

JPjr

1 hour ago, TheR00zle said:

Long as they’re not also worshippers of Hashut in his aspect of The Ashen Smith then we’re all good.

I was thinking that the Kharadron are just hiding any and all evidence of Chaos Duardin existence. It fits with the rest of the shadow war.

6 minutes ago, TheR00zle said:

which animal is that?

Sea Pangolin (Thx Google)

Edited by Sttufe
  • Like 1

I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about the exact biological details behind metallic fish  (believe me, I've ****** up many an interesting story idea by spending 6 months thinking about how trivial details in stories, like how a city's sewage system works, and eventually losing interest). But saying that it's a really nice little detail for maybe the local Freeguild, that adds a nice bit of local colour to them. Great work.

I can really picture them in, say, scale mail hauberks constructed from these fishy parts. just a nice little thing to drop in for added verisimilitude.

From her perch in the chapel's bell tower Vespa had a clear view of the entire market and could see the whole crew carefully making their toward their marks. Just a few more minutes now and everyone should be in place, she thought to herself. A commotion down below caught her attention and she turned to see several of Captain Solat's guards heading towards the auction house. The bright Hysh light reflected off their iridescent scale mail and from up high they looked like a shoal of oneiros fish as they forced their way through the crowded bazaar.

Maybe something to think about to flesh it out more. What are the local guards called? What kind of livery do they have? Maybe a fish is their symbol? Likewise what Stormhost is resident here? Are they friendly towards the people of the city or view them as lessers? Are there Agents of Azyr hiding out, trying to unmask cultists and vampires alike? They're always great for protagonists.

f73e27a6c61d24336ccd843475e893d5.jpg

23 hours ago, Sttufe said:

This sounds great and I really like it! One thing, I think were still going back and forth on the is the cit living inside the dead godbeasts bones or keeping it asleep so it might have to change a little there but other than that I love it.

Maybe each faction has their own theory regarding the exact nature of the godbeast? Creates conflict, and conflict is the basis of any good story. 😇

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, JPjr said:

I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about the exact biological details behind metallic fish  (believe me, I've ****** up many an interesting story idea by spending 6 months thinking about how trivial details in stories, like how a city's sewage system works, and eventually losing interest). But saying that it's a really nice little detail for maybe the local Freeguild, that adds a nice bit of local colour to them. Great work.

I can really picture them in, say, scale mail hauberks constructed from these fishy parts. just a nice little thing to drop in for added verisimilitude.

From her perch in the chapel's bell tower Vespa had a clear view of the entire market and could see the whole crew carefully making their toward their marks. Just a few more minutes now and everyone should be in place, she thought to herself. A commotion down below caught her attention and she turned to see several of Captain Solat's guards heading towards the auction house. The bright Hysh light reflected off their iridescent scale mail and from up high they looked like a shoal of oneiros fish as they forced their way through the crowded bazaar.

Maybe something to think about to flesh it out more. What are the local guards called? What kind of livery do they have? Maybe a fish is their symbol? Likewise what Stormhost is resident here? Are they friendly towards the people of the city or view them as lessers? Are there Agents of Azyr hiding out, trying to unmask cultists and vampires alike? They're always great for protagonists.

I think that it would be cool for both the scales to make items and to be the currency used, meaning that everyone smells fishy. The term "something's fishy" loses meaning when nearly everyone is committing a crime and literally smells like fish.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Sttufe said:

I think that it would be cool for both the scales to make items and to be the currency used, meaning that everyone smells fishy. The term "something's fishy" loses meaning when nearly everyone is committing a crime and literally smells like fish.

Or becomes a great compliment! 

If anything it could be a humorous quip someone says when they see them.  

they wouldn’t be much for a secret police but they would definitely be noticed like the guys from hamilcar that had glass armor and weapons.  
the stormhost is definitely something that I can’t figure yet.  Perhaps celestial vindicators since most stories about stormcast externals that take place in Chamon have been about them.  They have an edgy vibe like the knights excelsior so I could see them getting unhinged and going on pogroms.  A good stormcast main character would be a lord veritant for sure.  
perhaps we could set it up that there are so many secret police forces, gangs and cults that the between good and evil or right and wrong could be distorted so any way you look at it your faction of choice is just doing what they think is right or in their best interests.  Like in old cop shows there are always people who have the ability to do what is right but take a selfish or easier route that makes them no better than the people they oppose.   Like Khainites making blood sacrifices of Khorne worshipers.

2 hours ago, JPjr said:

Well here's what I've come up with so far......

Freeguild: The simple yet elegant Scale Guards roam the streets of Calderos, named for their iconic scale mail armor that has been blessed with strange alchemical properties.

Since we have spooky scary skeletons marching on us and sheet bois haunting the communal basement, a sacrosanct chamber of The Anvils of The Heldenhammer seem like the perfect fit, and they're suspicious but friendly to wizards given the city's history.

No Agents as of yet, but with growing rumors of chaotic infiltration it's only a matter of time....

2 hours ago, Gorthor21 said:

the start of the duardin turf war

The City of The Ashen Storm will emerge victorious! HAIL THE FATHER OF DARKNESS! HAIL HASHUT!!!!

Hey guys, it's been way too long. If any of you remember me, my family moved off grid and I haven't had a chance to update. I was planning on just lurking to begin with, but this topic is an absolute gem - Lore is the best part of the hobby imho. I like everything so far, but I was thinking, maybe we could have a Homebrew Stormhost focused on Seafaring? Like the thing in Tyler Mengel's Homebrew tomb Kings stuff, just not necessarily Hammers of Sigmar. Maybe a metallic purple armor, something like the Trident Lords? other than that, I'm super excited about this - if you will take me, I'd love to contribute.

PS: I love the whole Shadow War thing going on - perfect setting for games using the Warcry rules. I like the idea of the city being built around bones, but the Beast regenerating in the underground pool. Reincarnation, man!

Edited by AthelLoren
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, AthelLoren said:

Hey guys, it's been way too long. If any of you remember me, my family moved off grid and I haven't had a chance to update. I was planning on just lurking to begin with, but this topic is an absolute gem - Lore is the best part of the hobby imho. I like everything so far, but I was thinking, maybe we could have a Homebrew Stormhost focused on Seafaring? Like the thing in Tyler Mengel's Homebrew tomb Kings stuff, just not necessarily Hammers of Sigmar. Maybe a metallic purple armor, something like the Trident Lords? other than that, I'm super excited about this - if you will take me, I'd love to contribute.

PS: I love the whole Shadow War thing going on - perfect setting for games using the Warcry rules. I like the idea of the city being built around bones, but the Beast regenerating in the underground pool. Reincarnation, man!

I really like that, having some SCE who are focused on using the sea to their advantage. This could open up some interesting possibilities with the Idoneth, as a protagonist and antagonist. Maybe they too treasure the scales or are adept at getting them and will trade souls for scales? Perhaps the SCE have been damaged slightly by the shadows of Ulgu, and ignore something that other Storm Hosts would crack down on. They have seen so much that they stopped caring.

Edited by Sttufe
  • Like 1

So, what do y'all think about Scales as a currency? What do you think the ratio would be - for example, how many scales for a fresh fish (Without the Scales, of course - they're too valuable)? How many for a loaf of bread? I think this kind of thing could really help us flesh out the city.

Just now, AthelLoren said:

So, what do y'all think about Scales as a currency? What do you think the ratio would be - for example, how many scales for a fresh fish (Without the Scales, of course - they're too valuable)? How many for a loaf of bread? I think this kind of thing could really help us flesh out the city.

I think a scale could be a loaf of bread, perhaps 1 for 2 fish, as wheat and such would be much harder to find then fish in the surrounding waters. The scarcity of certain resources would be an interesting bit that comes through sometimes, as metals and gems are priced much lower while vegetables and grains are more expensive. Perhaps instead of making money, they are trying to live. It isn't a healthy city, the majority of it is called bone town and is made of driftwood, so instead of exporting goods it is really just supporting those who are investigating the realm gate and the catacombs beneath. Of course there are entrepreneurs, but the majority is just trying to live in a place that seems less dangerous than everywhere else. Crime is rampant, the poor litter the streets, and even the local stormhost can't help you. The economy having 1 scale a loaf of bread and 2 for a fish is also so that we don't get to weird conversions and I doubt they would get too complex, I think it would be more realistic if the fish they were abtained from were small and had few scales, so people had say a fish owrth of scales and that is it, and event hose people are better off. let's bring in AoS28

Sea life would be the greatest resource so from the megalithic monsters to whatever gets brought up in nets and trawls.  The scourge privateers could hunt giant monsters on whatever crazy stormwracked liquid metal seas that would pass for deep ocean in Chamon like they do in Ghur.  

whatever races we end up putting in the setting really would determine that kind of stuff.   Like any coastal town they would export what they get from the sea that people further inland can’t get.  I.e. fish and apparently magic vineyards on the landward side of the city.  I hope that wine would make you hallucinate as well as get you drunk.

Oooh, I like the hallucinogen wine

The wine coated his tongue, the familiar taste of sour grapes and a metallic aftertaste coated his tongue. He took a long draught from the goblet. The wine had cost him his last few scales, but after the horrors he had seen the catacombs... he needed it. Vile mutants, gibbering wreck that had once been men. Rats that walked like man, great grotesque beasts and... and... the wine had begun to take hold. And soon the wounded mind of the freeguilder calmed and he was no longer squatting on a rickety stool in a rundown tavern, he was lounging in a green field beneath a blue sky.

• Like 2

Also, Trident Lords, sounds awesome! Do we want a whole new storm host or maybe a chamber of the Astral Templars (I think they have purple armor) the astral templars already hunt monsters as their "thing" these guys could be a chamber thereof who are specifically hunting water beasties. They have a keep in the city, but are rather uninterested in the affairs of state, focusing on the monsters in the cove.

Maybe they have respect for the scourge privateers and work with them which makes the dastardly self pirates almost "untouchable " in town as they are the only faction with the actual patronage of the stormcast

19 minutes ago, Kalebkhaine said:

Also, Trident Lords, sounds awesome! Do we want a whole new storm host or maybe a chamber of the Astral Templars (I think they have purple armor) the astral templars already hunt monsters as their "thing" these guys could be a chamber thereof who are specifically hunting water beasties. They have a keep in the city, but are rather uninterested in the affairs of state, focusing on the monsters in the cove.

Maybe they have respect for the scourge privateers and work with them which makes the dastardly self pirates almost "untouchable " in town as they are the only faction with the actual patronage of the stormcast

I agree. On top of that the hallucinogen wine is great. Maybe the hallucinogen wine is their main export, being a city filled with crime and such.

• Like 1

Gosh, I vote for Astral Templars! That makes perfect sense. Also, that's an amazing piece, @Kalebkhaine. I wonder, would there be any place for Wanderers or Sylvaneth? Maybe sea-green Wanderers working with the Scourge Privateers?

Edited by AthelLoren

6 minutes ago, AthelLoren said:

Gosh, I vote for Astral Templars! That makes perfect sense. Also, that's an amazing piece, @Kalebkhaine. I wonder, would there be any place for Wanderers or Sylvaneth? Maybe sea-green Wanderers working with the Scourge Privateers?

I mean someone has to protect the vast grapevines that service the city.