Rolling for turn order - an idea

Fiore

Hi all. I'm new to AoS - I've played four games so far and am loving it. So characterful, easy, cinematic and fun! 

Anyway, I had an idea about turn order. I like the way it works, with the chance of double turns. Gives you something else to think about, and adds more drama.

But maybe an extra element of strategy could be added, to reduce the luck factor a little. How about this...

Players can buy "Command points" - maybe something like 0-5 for 30 points each or whatever (I just made those values up off the top of my head). Anyway, each Command Point gives you an additional dice to roll to decide turn order (choosing the best result), to be used throughout the course of the battle. You could keep the command dice in a mug or whatever, and gradually use them up as the battle goes on. Both players could keep secret how many they planned to use each time by taking a handful (or none) from their mug and then simultaneously revealing the number.

So for example it might be turn 2 and you decide it's pretty crucial you move first - you take two command dice from the mug and so roll three dice in total, picking the highest result. Your opponent maybe hasn't realised the importance this turn and takes no command dice - he rolls one d6 as usual. He will probably lose the roll, but will always have a chance.

Anyway, what do you think? I haven't tried it yet (though I've used very similar in other games I've played over the years) - thought it might be a simple way to add an extra layer to the strategy of what seems to be one of the most important parts of the game - manipulating the double turn.

Nice idea, but if you get a double turn you actually increase the chance of your opponent getting a double turn later - you'd be burning command dice to try and stop that.

But hey, if your opponent wants to give it a try, go for it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

The double turn isn't always such a big deal.

ALso the game already has ways for you to get double turns.

Some models have abilities that specificly let you reroll the turn dice, and some also let you reroll a dice per gameo ne of which can be the turn die like the coven throne. So this is alraedy a thing. 

Archived