Solo Warhammer Rules (customizing)

I really like this Hammerhal poster for it.

93859560_1309256685937788_56304313874975

There's an idea too of a scenario of corraling the Troggoth king's headless rampaging body...

Edit: Idea, if he's in the Aqshy portion of Hammerhal then your can light fires to drive the body away from escape routes while in Ghyran Hammerhal it's "angler mandrake" whose prey-like vibrations lure it towards traps.

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • Haha 1

Nice, the ethereal perils of Glymmsforge will both be a fun change and great examples for players to make future haunted scenarios.

Maybe an Order twist too with unforged Stormcast geists that escaped  from the Sigmaron or Starborne Seraphon that are guarding ruins with their starlight dinos passing through the walls.

Great news. thanks for sharing, I’d missed it completely. 
I’ll be finally trying the troggoth king campaign today. My warband:

lord of Slaanesh on deamonic mount, warriors and daemonettes. 

fighting their way trough bullhorns, chaos trolls and chaos ogors to defeat a black dragon and steal his eggs. The serpentine black dragon would make a suitable mount for a Slaanesh Lord. So after a quick polish of the armour, off he goes. 

So for who is still on the first solo campaign. Some notes/tips from my experience. 

- Switch out the monsters, doesn't matter that much. But do give everything the regeneration. AND 1 group -1 to hit, and the other 5+ after save. Or something to make them more survivable. Tried it without that and if it's to easy to do 8-12 wounds the regeneration is pointless. So make sure you can't one shot a unit. \

- Also give them all a shooting attack, because they don't move towards you all that much. 

- More terrain than 1 or 2 pieces does help it feel more tactical. I used three 3" high walls and one with a doorway. It helps you run away for a turn so you can gang up. Or block a glass hammer unit with an anvil for a turn. In the end though you're gaming a dice roll, so the extend of tactical play is limited. 

- What does make it fun though is that it feels like AoS 1 to me. (same happens with skirmish in my experience). Everything can kill everything and every dice roll is exciting. But it, naturally, lacks the social fun of the game.

- It's a good way to introduce a roommate/partner/kid though. 

- Speed and rend are super valuable in this format. My deamonettes, even without the allegiance abilities, where the mvp's every turn. (and they hit and wound on 4+'s)

- Total campaign took me a bit over two hours.

- My playthrough. 
Game one

Spoiler

I played a (compendium) Lord of Slaanesh on deamonic mount, 10 warriors and  10 daemonettes. They were on the hunt for a Black dragon egg. 

Defending it were 3 chaos trolls, 3 bullgors and a doombull. 

The first game was a bit too easy. Half way through I added the Troggoths defensive rules to them and that balanced it right out. The monsters took the first turn. But only the bullgors move up the first two turns. 😂 My Lord charged in confident off his abilities... killed nothing and was left with one wound. The Hold and Dumbfounded rules however meant my Warriors had time to block the centre and my daemonettes went diagonal across the board to save their lord. 

22581141_Screenshot2020-04-18at09_36_46.png.710e8f8c6b7f0cfa9862a1f7c841e4b5.png

Meaning that over two turns I just picked off both units one by one and when I got into combat with the Doombull.... he fled the combat. Only to fully overwhelm him turn four.  In the end I only perma lost one daemonette and gained a +2 attack artefact.

1896205416_Screenshot2020-04-18at09_50_10.png.845bfce8319709baa86f96f6cd61d9a0.png

511680031_Screenshot2020-04-18at09_53_56.png.597faf1adcc6fb95edf9463fd7e1e7ce.png

Game 2:

Spoiler

Game two was pretty much the same thing. 1/3 units didn't get to move forward for two turns. So I used the Slaanesh speed to deny a flank and pick off units one by one. The deamonettes did manage to headbutt a stalagmite for two mortal wounds turn one. Shouldn't have engaged the last unit though... cost me two more perma deaths. Again my lord survived on 1 wound.

1461258888_Screenshot2020-04-18at09_59_14.png.e12123a1875249d769972cfc04eed141.png

328991080_Screenshot2020-04-18at09_59_27.png.5f91934bfcd9c4000714472788977331.png

Game three:

Spoiler

Game three started off par for the course. The doombull rolled bad enough to be stuck for two turns in the corner. And the Chaos Troggoths (river Troggoths rules) failed their charge. After a brutal combat with the Bullgors and a fight with big losses against the Chaos troggoths the next turn killed all but one of the chaos warriors... who promptly fled as I had rolled to start the game with no command points turn one. 

1699489529_Screenshot2020-04-18at10_02_05.png.b091e5d53a6b00be3a2f451987b77e37.png

428560022_Screenshot2020-04-18at10_05_30.png.2a12dbe5e843ec6098ef019a0bd426d4.png

Luckily that's when the Black Dragon (and my daughter) arrived. So I kind of rushed through the last turns. But my lord was an absolute champ the first combat. Easily made it around the terrain for a flank charge. Dodged all the bites and claws. Did 6 damage. (Although the daemonettes outperformed everything in this combat like every combat before. ). Next turn he went from champ to chomp and was unceremoniously eaten in one go. The daemonettes however got the dragon down to 1 wound.....

Next turn the Dragon went first, and the Doombull finally left that corner, Healed one wound... Ate all but the banner bearer... she did one wound. Hoped for a one on the battleshock... didn't get it.

My turn, 2 hits, 1 wound... Dragon made her save and ate the last daemonette. 

1740748556_Screenshot2020-04-18at10_06_00.png.9e207731635aca3f9496df4d7f0f3ebb.png

So very close game, and campaign. In which I needed to do one more wound (twice!) to get the win. Next up the KO get the chance at victory. In total I played through everything in under two hours.

TLDR: Needed one more wound to win the campaign. Good fun with a lot of tense moments. 

• Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2020 at 5:54 PM, Umjammerlama said:

New campaign released by GW. This time featuring the models out of the Soul Wars box set. 

Have you noticed that there is a problem with the boss table, where it says D6 when it should be D4. Or do you think that the 5 and 6 are just rampage, charge and advance.

image.png.f687850629a4a592bfec093fa15a6222.png

Thank you!

34 minutes ago, N@g@sh said:

Have you noticed that there is a problem with the boss table, where it says D6 when it should be D4. Or do you think that the 5 and 6 are just rampage, charge and advance.

image.png.f687850629a4a592bfec093fa15a6222.png

Thank you!

I would think it’s a typo and the chart should say 4+

• Thanks 1

I've created file that is based on the Glymmsforge Catacombs campaign that doesn't have the background art so it doesn't cost all the ink in the world to print. I have got a docs one and a pdf one, they are the same.

Enjoy!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OfBNwZlilVYfd_s3w8ZRX9LZal_LXOdPtWcRkZSec80/edit?usp=sharing

P.S. The Battleplans at the end aren't quite the same size, sorry!

P.P.S.I have not Included the Warscrolls, but if you have the Soul Wars set, or have lots of Nighthaunt models, you should have them anyway.

Easy Print Solo Warhammer.pdf

Edited by N@g@sh
To add more content.
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've just sat down to play this (solo Glymmsforge) and in its current state its unplayable using just the Soul Wars set alone and also due to various other mistakes in the rules if taken how they are printed.

Recommends a board 22 inches wide but the units have to be set up 12 inches away from the middle.

Recommends terrain placement that can't be made on the recommended board size, meaning that you can't have any terrain.

The Adversary Army is made up of D3 number of units from a table but depending on the roll, the Soul Wars set doesn't have enough models (e.g. There are only 5 Grimghast Reapers and Gloucesteraivewraith Stalkers but recommended Party size is 3 so 3 units x 3 models would be 9) 

The Boss Behaviour Table says it is for a d6 but only has 4 options. (Previous posts suggest that this should be 4+)

And that's all I've noticed just trying to play two battle rounds let alone the exploration table that gives you more healing opportunities than fighting. I get these could be ignored or changed but I was hoping for an easy to follow solo campaign. 

I think I read that there are some alternative rules being bandied around on here so I'll post a link to them if I can find them for anyone else that is looking to play this solo version and come across this thread. 

***Edit***

So I couldn't find the other posts but played with the rules myself and taken some changes from a YouTube video and then changed the unit rules to fit what I have, so for the Minion Unit Table it now says:

1 chainrasp horde unit with a number of models triple the size of the Adventure party

1 Spirit Host unit with a number of wounds equal to the size of the adventure party (rounding up) 

1 Bladegheist revenant unit with a number of models equal +1 to the adventure party. 

All in all I had a quick go and it was much harder and more enjoyable. If anyone wants the full changes, send me a PM or ask on here and I'll post them all. 

Edited by Oak7603
Update