Solo Warhammer Rules (customizing)

I’ve been reading though the cool new mini-campaign/solo rules for AoS that were released, and I would like to adapt the contents to suit either Chaos or FEC enemies.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/04/09/solo-warhammer-troggoth-slayersgw-homepage-post-1/

3 Rockgut Troggoths (160pts) - 50mm bases
3 Fellwater Troggoths (160pts) - 50mm bases
Dankhold Troggoth (220pts) - 60mm base
Dankhold Troggboss (300pts) - 60mm base

I could always just use a different model to repesent the same warscrolls I guess, but I'd love to figure out some equivalents. The big wrench in the mix IMO is how important the Regeneration rules likely are to this setup. I could toss regen on whatever other models, which is one solution.

• Like 2

@XcaliburNick,

From my experience with open play... it doesn't really matter. So get whatever you have! The points are a good guideline but you don't have to match it exact and you don't have to use the troggoth rules. 

What I mean by that is you can compensate on the other end. Your team isn't set in stone either. So I'll try it next week with some chaos trolls, minotaurs and maybe Chaos Ogors I have lying around. That will roughly match the troggoths. But it will make a big difference if I bring 3 palladors with my Aquilor and hunters or bringing 3 fulminators. Of course it's going to be the palladors because that makes more narrative sense to me, but you get my point. 

The Trogboss is the tricky one for me. A doombull is no where near is powerful, so maybe i'll play that one with that base. Or use a black dragon. We'll see, only giving it a go prove what works.  

What models where you thinking of?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kramer said:

What models where you thinking of?

I was thinking of:

3 Crypt Flayers
4w / 12” mv / 5+ sv / 10 br

3 Crypt Horrors
4w / 7” mv / 5+ sv / 10 br

1 Varghulf
8w / 10” mv / 5+ sv / 10 br

Royal Terrorgheist
14w / 14” mv / 4+ sv / 10 br

Further analysis from the Trogs:

3 Rockgut
4w / 6” mv / 5+ sv / 5 br
with Regen, 5+ FnP, 12” ranged MW

3 Fellwater
with Regen, -1 TH melee, 6” ranged atk

1 Dankhold
10w / 6” mv / 4+ sv / 6 br
with Regen, Magic resist MW melee aura and instant kill melee attack

1 Dankboss
12w / 6” mv / 4+ sv / 7 br
with Regen, Magic resist MW melee aura and instant kill melee attack

With all of that, my idea is to add Regen to all the FEC to represent rampant death magic that must be stopped by destroying a Charnel Throne guarded by the Terrorgheist. Then it’s roughly equivalent, and I’ll play Hard Mode so I always have at least the Varghulf and 2 other units with it.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, XcaliburNick said:

I was thinking of:

3 Crypt Flayers
4w / 12” mv / 5+ sv / 10 br

3 Crypt Horrors
4w / 7” mv / 5+ sv / 10 br

1 Varghulf
8w / 10” mv / 5+ sv / 10 br

Royal Terrorgheist
14w / 14” mv / 4+ sv / 10 br

Further analysis from the Trogs:

3 Rockgut
with Regen, 5+ FnP, 12” ranged MW

3 Fellwater
with Regen, -1 TH melee, 6” ranged atk

1 Dankhold
10w / 6” mv / 4+ sv / 6 br
with Regen, Magic resist MW melee aura and instant kill melee attack

1 Dankboss
12w / 6” mv / 4+ sv / 7 br
with Regen, Magic resist MW melee aura and instant kill melee attack

With all of that, my idea is to add Regen to all the FEC to represent rampant death magic that must be stopped by destroying a Charnel Throne guarded by the Terrorgheist. Then it’s roughly equivalent, and I’ll play Hard Mode so I always have at least the Varghulf and 2 other units with it.

Looks fair to me. And what will the hunting party consist of? 

14 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Looks fair to me. And what will the hunting party consist of? 

Thanks for the advice! Currently my goal is to use this as a motivation for painting up some parts of my planned 2k army. So far I’m thinking because it’s death magic this will be Sacrosanct units: Lord Arcanum on Gryph Charger, 10 Sequitors and 3 Evocators on Dracolines. 

12 minutes ago, XcaliburNick said:

Thanks for the advice! Currently my goal is to use this as a motivation for painting up some parts of my planned 2k army. So far I’m thinking because it’s death magic this will be Sacrosanct units: Lord Arcanum on Gryph Charger, 10 Sequitors and 3 Evocators on Dracolines. 

Haha samesies! For me its the Lord Aquilor and the 3 Palladors. 😂

39 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Haha samesies! For me its the Lord Aquilor and the 3 Palladors. 😂

Awesome! The Vanguard units make a lot more sense in the “beast hunting” narrative TBH. And it’s one of the reasons I want to go with Death or Chaos as enemies (so I can justify the story a bit easier in my head lol).

Ironically it’s Chaos that I’m having a harder time coming up with equivalents for the Trogs. The FEC have a more natural fit really, with the reaction table and base sizes being very close. I also have a supply of Death models nearly ready to use and need to borrow Chaos. If you or anyone else has any ideas for a good Chaos setup I’d love it! Only one I can think of off hand is a Demon Prince as the big boss.

6 minutes ago, XcaliburNick said:

Awesome! The Vanguard units make a lot more sense in the “beast hunting” narrative TBH. And it’s one of the reasons I want to go with Death or Chaos as enemies (so I can justify the story a bit easier in my head lol).

Ironically it’s Chaos that I’m having a harder time coming up with equivalents for the Trogs. The FEC have a more natural fit really, with the reaction table and base sizes being very close. I also have a supply of Death models nearly ready to use and need to borrow Chaos. If you or anyone else has any ideas for a good Chaos setup I’d love it! Only one I can think of off hand is a Demon Prince as the big boss.

The availability is the most important thing in that sense, I agree. But change the tabel in name a bit and it could also be a group of 10 gaurdsmen patrolling. Or maybe even change the contents. But chaos outside of Beasts of Chaos is a bit tricky I agree. But some ideas:
Skaven: Rat ogres - Stormfiends (just 2) - Boneripper (without Thanquol)
Beasts of Chaos: Bullgors - Dragon Ogres - Shaggoth (but give it a little more oomph)
Realm of Chaos: Beast of Nurgle, Fiends of Slaanesh, Deamon prince who's managerie your' F'ing with. (but again make it more powerful. Could also be a deamon prince without magic perhaps.)

Basically you just have to try it. And again you can easily give yourself a bit of boost if that makes the match up more balanced. 

To me the rules are a nice set up to get creative with and having GW publish it means it has some more 'weight' behind it. I'm already forming a multiplayer layout for it in the back of my head. One where people play 'challenge' at home and depending on the wins the coalition of players wins/loses ground while infiltrating the enemy territory. With a big bad end game as soon as you can play together again. 

• Thanks 1

I’ve just been through the first two rounds with SCE vs OBR and recommend the following adjustments if you are not using troggoths:

* Give every enemy unit troggoth regen (heal d3 wounds on a 4+, or d3 models if 1 wound each). Call it reinforcements or shyish/ghyran magic or whatever.

* If the enemy unit does not have a shooting attack then ignore the “far” table (>12”) and just use in combat/close instead. The distance between units is such that far means the enemy unit does nothing half the time if they can’t shoot, but using the close table means trying some long charges.

Edited by PrimeElectrid
  • Thanks 3

44 minutes ago, PrimeElectrid said:

I’ve just been through the first two rounds with SCE vs OBR and recommend the following adjustments if you are not using troggoths:

* Give every enemy unit troggoth regen (heal d3 wounds on a 4+, or d3 models if 1 wound each). Call it reinforcements or shyish/ghyran magic or whatever.

* If the enemy unit does not have a shooting attack then ignore the “far” table (>12”) and just use in combat/close instead. The distance between units is such that far means the enemy unit does nothing half the time if they can’t shoot, but using the close table means trying some long charges.

What did you use? Stalkers? Who’s/what’s going to be the big baddie? 

3 hours ago, PrimeElectrid said:

Without shooting, what if for the "FAR" table you use the following results:
Dumbstruck- same
Hold- Make a normal 'run' move with the unit.
Advance- Make a normal 'non-running' move and then attempt to charge with the unit.

If that gets them into combat too quickly, how about just treating all the "Hold" results as normal moves without running, and the "Advance" results as normal moves that can run (and no charging in either case)?  Now that I think about it, this might be the simpler option and retain the principle of the enemy not charging if they began their turn outside of 12", but still avoid the units standing around doing nothing for too long.

• LOVE IT! 1

16 minutes ago, Rob Hawkins said:

treating all the "Hold" results as normal moves without running, and the "Advance" results as normal moves that can run (and no charging in either case)?  Now that I think about it, this might be the simpler option and retain the principle of the enemy not charging if they began their turn outside of 12", but still avoid the units standing around doing nothing for too long.

I like this, elegant solution to the issue of non-shooting units doing nothing. Pushes it to a more generic type of reaction as well: If the unit is in range of any shooting attack/effect then as written, otherwise they close in varying distances. 

• Like 1

I'm going to try out the following replacements for the Troggoths:

x1 Hell Pit Abomination
x4 Rat Ogors (all equipped with Warpfire Guns)
x3 Stormfiends (Randomly roll the weapon option for each model, ignoring the normal unit limitations)

And as Kramer suggested, The Boneripper without Thanquol for the Troggboss. 
Equip him with 2 Warpfire Projectors & 2 Warpfire Braziers.  Ignore the abilities Staff of the Horned Rat, Warpstone Addiction, Magic, and the Command Ability, but keep the Warp Amulet ability to use whenever "Regeneration" comes up in the action phase.

Otherwise, keep all the action tables & results the same.  I think that the fact that the units have more wounds than the Troggoths, that will make up for the lack of regeneration.  And the Boneripper has more wounds and its limited regeneration ability.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rob Hawkins said:

One other thing to note-- I just set up a battlefield to play this out, and 22" x 30" is really small.  I don't anticipate the units being more than 12" away for very long...

I’ve played Kill Team / familiar with the size and wondered if there was even movement LOL. When I first looked at the board setups I couldn’t figure out why they were so sparse, then saw the table size...

I think if there’s more terrain it could be interesting making it more like 3x4 and have the falling rocks from the one battle extend out further. Especially if you adjust the rules so that far engagement reaction allows for move/run vs stationary when not in shooting range.

• Like 1

This is an interesting idea for a way to play.  However, I don't have any troggoths of any type.  So, what do I have?

Chaos Army:
Warriors, Knights, Warshrine, sorcerers, lord on foot and daemonic mount, daemon prince, and some chariots.  What comes to mind here would be instead of taking down a troggoth king, dealing with an incoming chaos warband.  II think that for best results, I would replace the Rockguts with a unit of 5 warriors, the fellwaters with a unit of 5 knights, and the dankhold with a chariot, or maybe with a chaos lord (on foot or mount).  Finally, I would replace the troggoth king with a Daemon Prince.  To replicate the healing, I would have that on a 4+, another model can be added to the unit of warriors/knights if it is missing one.

Order Armies:

Stormcast Eternals:
I could see running this if I wanted to run a chaos force to play this out, with the idea that instead of dealing with a chaos warband, chaos is dealing with a stormcast scouting party.  Here I have Sequitors, Castigators, Evocators, Evocators on Dracolines, ballista's, fulminators, and a few different heroes.  I could see doing the same as with the chaos force above, using sequitors in place of fellwaters, evocators (either) in place of rockguts, and fulminators in place of the dankhold troggoth.  Then the troggoth king would be replaced by a lord-arcanum on gryph charger, and then I would let him in the action phase also cast a spell - either arcane bolt if he is unharmed, or his warscroll spell if he or a fulminator/evocator is damaged.  Once again, to replace the healing, on a 4+ a model can be re-added to a unit if a model has fallen for foot units, while mounted units can get back d3 wounds.

Kharadron Overlords:
A irritating band of pirates has shown up and is now harrassing the area.  Deal with them!  Here I would look to replace the rockguts/fellwaters with arkanauts, thunderers and endrinriggers, and then replace the dankhold troggoth with a gunhauler.  Then the troggoth king would be replaced with a frigate - loaded with arkanaughts when it comes in!  However, I would say that the behavior table should change.  In combat options should be retreat and hold (1-3 being retreat, 4-6 being hold), close rephrased to "in gun range", with options being hold position (and shoot), and charge (1-4 being shoot, 5-6 being charge), and far rephrased as "out of range", with options being hold and advance (1-3 being hold, 4-6 being advance).  For healing, small models on a 4+ get d3 wounds worth of models returned to the unit, while ships heal d3 wounds.

Cities of Sigmar:
You have discovered a local city encroaching on your territory.  Remove them - with prejudice.  Here, I would look to replace the rockguts/fellwaters with any non-behemoth battleline unit, and the dankhold troggoth with a wizard/sorceress - with the emerald lifeswarm.  Here, the wizard would attempt to cast the lifeswarm every turn to heal up the other units, and would always act first.  Then the other units would look to either get in range and shoot, or get in range and charge.  Between battle rounds, the emerald lifeswarm would act like a normal endless spell, and if it is on the table of their units are un-injured, then the wizard would instead cast arcane bolt.  No other healing would be available to the cities outside of the lifeswarm.  Then, the Dankhold Troggboss is replaced by one of the big models for cities - A phoenix, griffon, or dragon, depending upon what you feel like bringing out.  Some work would be required for the behavior table though.

I think that these are some interesting variations on this little campaign, while keeping a similar feel to it.  No matter what forces you want to bring against them, I could totally see the narrative playing out when facing down a chaos warband (even if you are bringing your own), or dealing with some Kharadron Pirates, or some cities outcasts.  Stormcast are a little harder to face off against and maintain a narrative if you are hunting them down with an order army, but I could totally see any other grand alliance taking them on.  I'll have to test this out sometime and see how it plays out - after all, I can use some more excuses to bring out my pretty models, or finish painting new ones.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, readercolin said:

Stormcast are a little harder to face off against and maintain a narrative if you are hunting them down with an order army,

Oh no, many reasons for it. 😁 They are not all the beloved hammers of sigmar or Hamilcar. Check out the malign portents stories (if they are still online) for a more grim look. For example when playing your KO why not have it be a assassination mission?

‘In an attempt to cleanse a region of corruption Stormhosts can be ruthless. Stormhost [insert your stormhost here] is especially know to allow no signs of chaos to survive. None became the face of this crusade like [insert troggboss replacement]. The horrors of their crusade in the X region are to much to set to paper. The few that were deemed pure enough to survive where left without, food, shelter or hope. Soon enough the insidious nature of tzeentch found his way into the survivors. Fanning their desire for revenge, he taught the youngest of them to change steam to resemble aether gold. And when the first skyvessels of the Kharadron Overlords came rumbling over the horizon the survivors knew... here arrived their tool for vengeance. ‘

• Like 2

I was thinking for armies or collections that lack the 'big-boyz' like Cities of Sigmar, Legions of Nagash, or even if you want to play something with more bodies, using the unit generation for our armies offers a nice way to customize your opponent.  Some examples could include:

- instead of 2 or 3 units of trolls, how about two blobs of 20 skeletons, zombies, or Ghouls (hordes)?  Every turn they regenerate d3 models as if they're close to a grave site like @PrimeElectrid suggested.

- Facing daemons? 10 model squads with d6 coming back on a 4+ (or 1 if it is the bigger units like blood crushers/fields/drones/screamers).

- Greater deamons make excellent final opponents of a battered and bruised hunting party.  Still feels unfair? Give them an artifact of power/command trait of your choice or roll on the tables. Heck, even modify the chart so it Rampages twice and doesn't retreat (Dumbstrucks could be it devouring the souls of it has previously slain).

- For Order/Destruction/Mortal Chaos, instead of regenerating units, roll a die at the start of the round and on a 5+ a new small unit arrives on the board edges from a d6 (1- Your deployment zone/South, 2-3 Eastern edge, 4-5 Western edge, 6 opponent's deployment/North). Only allow one unit to come on the board each game, or not if you want a really nasty challenge!

I'm really looking forward to seeing what people do with their battles or even what little miniature campaigns come out of this! I'm thinking of playing my Cities of Sigmar hunting down either some daemons or Flesh-Eaters. Since we're not using allegiance abilities, this may even be a great time to break out the Bretonnians again!

Nice idea using the path to glory to generate the hunting party. 

Edit to the Flesh Eater courts: bring a courtier! It's very easy otherwise. I brought 2 units of shadow warriors led by an assassin and just mopped the floor with them. Having the ability to regenerate units and an extra slightly boss model will make a difference.

Edited by Pellynor

Path to Glory rules are a cool idea as well to stretch this out. And maybe even use the rules from the books :)

On 4/12/2020 at 2:37 PM, Pellynor said:

Flesh Eater courts: bring a courtier! It's very easy otherwise. I brought 2 units of shadow warriors led by an assassin and just mopped the floor with them. Having the ability to regenerate units and an extra slightly boss model will make a difference.

What did you use originally? Blobs of Ghouls or the Knights? The courtier (non Varghulf) seemed a little weak to add in unless it was a fourth or extra selection?