Gor Base size

Bruinin

I realize no knows for sure, but I am starting/expanding a beastman army.  We always play to bases.  I had some gors for my chaos army that I had on 25mm rounds for most of last year.  I recently rebased them on 32mm bases.  Before I actually finish the bases I want to make sure the absolute consensus is that Gors go on 32s.  I only doubt this because the rule of thumb that 25mm squares -> 32mm rounds is not absolute and I do not wish to rebase again.  

Last year I only had 1 unit of 10 so nobody would care what bases they were on as they kinda stunk.  However fully buffed with units of 30, people will absolutely care, if all the second rank get attacks.  I didn't think anything of it before and I rebased about 30 of the old plastic gors, but when I got to the newer models they were a bit bigger and the bases looked a little small.  So I started checking, rebased the 30 I had done onto 32's.  Now I am still unsure as I looked a little further other units that were on 25 squares went to 25 rounds and can be buffed just about as equally ie chaos marauders.

Any input would be welcome.

Bru

21 hours ago, Bruinin said:

Thanks, I know that is probable, but I will be gutted if I have to rebase a third time.

I feel your pain. I just re-based 20 flesh hounds, I put them on cavalry sized ovals as a guess. Then I found out they ship with round 50mm for 40k and I'm scared that I've messed up.

On 21/08/2016 at 5:03 PM, Cordova said:

Like you said, the trend is to go one size up when going from square to round.  Looking at the Gor warscroll image, the bases GW used look like 32mm ones ...

I'd say 32 for Gors are fine, certainly looks like they're on 32's in the pictures with Ungors on 25's

22 hours ago, james.speller said:

I feel your pain. I just re-based 20 flesh hounds, I put them on cavalry sized ovals as a guess. Then I found out they ship with round 50mm for 40k and I'm scared that I've messed up.

I'd say you're OK with ovals.  Although they do have rounds for 40k, the "upgrade" to rectangular cavalry bases does seem to be pretty consistent across the rest of the range and Warhounds certainly are on ovals.

I have mine on 32 and looks like the right size. I am sure it will be.

But regarding fighting from second rank, it is quite easy to do even if you are on 32s. You just dont place the second rank directly behind the first rank (and leave a small gap between the models in the first rank). ?

8 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

It's only Bloodletters that are on 32's out of the daemon lot, the rest are 25's :)

Why and on who's authority?  In fact GW have confirmed 32mm for Pink Horrors here: https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Errata/ENG_Silver_Tower_v1.1.pdf , and the plaguebearers come with 32mm in the start collecting (and are depicted on 32mm on the box).

All of my daemon infantry (including daemonettes) will therefore have uniform bases, as they did on squares (though the blue horrors can get 25mms).

5 hours ago, BrAiKo said:

Why and on who's authority?

Mine...  And the GW website.  As with all base sizes it's down to interpretation from a handful of resources/pictures so theoretically nobody is "right"

5 hours ago, BrAiKo said:

In fact GW have confirmed 32mm for Pink Horrors here: https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Errata/ENG_Silver_Tower_v1.1.pdf , and the plaguebearers come with 32mm in the start collecting (and are depicted on 32mm on the box).

All of my daemon infantry (including daemonettes) will therefore have uniform bases, as they did on squares (though the blue horrors can get 25mms).

Apologies that the following is very "matter of fact".  If you look at the main GW store, the Plaguebearer box set states 25mm - the picture is also on 25mm as with the picture of the herald.  I can authoritatively say this as my brother has them, though can't comment on the start collecting box as I don't have one.  The same applies to pink horrors - the box set of pink horrors states and depicts 25mm.  Daemonettes doesn't state the size but having assembled some in the past the picture shows 25's as there isn't enough blank base in comparison to the miniature - if you look at the Bloodletters on their 32's there is a massive amount of dead space on the base.

I'm not disagreeing that the Silver Tower Errata states the assembly guide should say to use 32's for them - however that's for the Silver Tower game and pretty much enforces the "use an appropriately sized base for the model" concept that GW will say whenever you speak to them.  The Silver Tower pink horrors are also larger than the rank and file ones and a fairly big monster in the game so this makes sense.

However to sum up!  I actually agree with you that 32's are nicer for daemons* and I'd have no problems playing against you if you were using them.  The 25's were added to the box for 40k cross-over, however the website does categorically say the box sets are supplied with 25mm which is what I based my original reply on.

* I still prefer the look of 25mm for Plaguebearers otherwise they seem a little lost

Yes agreed, my old box of horrors came with 25mm rounds packed in as well.  Of course at the time this was for the intention of using in 40k. 

It appears that with AoS the position has shifted somewhat, as the new AoS repackaging of the plague bearers in the start collecting has them packed with 32mm.  

My position is personal reasons only and I would have no issue with other people choosing their own base-sizes, and would happily play against anyone.   I want consistency amongst my own forces, and having already based my Silver Tower horrors 32mm (and all the chaos mortals), I put the rest on 32mms.  Just felt it was worth pointing out that the 25mm reasoning seems to be based on the old packaging intended for 40k and not the new system.

Back to the topic at hand on beast men, is the only precedent the tzaangors on 32mm. Have I missed any beast men repackaging for AoS?

Archived