Hello all, I have been a TGA member for quite a bit, loving the really healthy and supportive community, been watching and looking at various plogs, and decided to start my own now that I have gotten enough models to justify it. Starting off is a just a big WIP shot of my entire army that was hastily made, I don't have a lightbox yet, nor was the lighting good, forgive me. Not quite up to date, got some of the thunderers painted and shaded, however I am waiting for a paint to arrive to continue (new silver because the old one sucked). Also have Thundrik's warband but i just have to get them all primered and ready to go.20200328_151321.jpg.e06382c24bcadf304c03bac34c202fc9.jpg

• Like 8

First update time, we have the WIP of my first 3 thunderers, unable to do layers cuz I I don't have the paints for it 🤷‍♂️. Just getting them to a shaded level, however progress is being made!

20200405_152336.jpg.56cccd64003ef428c1264b425bc51246.jpg

And then what is coming next, forgive me for the bad lighting Edit: Better Lighting

20200405_212434.jpg.b84fd4ec9743a595a5c7fc4ae4ad3af4.jpg

And then even more distant in the future, i am going to be getting a frigate, and an SC of both the Dispossessed and the Fyreslayer, KO might be my first love in AoS but I need a little bit of a break from painting the Sky-Dorfs

Edited by Sttufe
Better Pictures TM
  • Like 4

Ok my dear viewers, I have gotten a new paint that I have promised for so long, and it is so much better. I now have 2 actually working metallics, and the patchy light silver has become solid! It felt so good putting the trash where it belonged. I may go back and redo the silver of my other units, however I have 2 SC's on their way with a frigate so I might not get around to it anytime soon. In the meantime pictures will be coming soonTM, probably in the morning unless I am a liar and I can get my crappy camera charged to take pictures.

Edited by Sttufe

Turns out I am a liar, the phone had enough battery left for me to take pictures!

First up we have the thunderers who are mostly done, and mostly done whit the new silver (some of them aren't). Also some of my favorite models to paint so far.

20200407_205019(0).jpg.7f871a9d65128de31a173a6ce58635d3.jpg

Then the normal Endrinmaster that I forgot to put up pictures of however I finished this one a while ago.

20200407_205139.jpg.4bdf61ec8351b8b37e74f0535b39f69a.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sttufe said:

Turns out I am a liar, the phone had enough battery left for me to take pictures!

First up we have the thunderers who are mostly done, and mostly done whit the new silver (some of them aren't). Also some of my favorite models to paint so far.

20200407_205019(0).jpg.7f871a9d65128de31a173a6ce58635d3.jpg

Then the normal Endrinmaster that I forgot to put up pictures of however I finished this one a while ago.

20200407_205139.jpg.4bdf61ec8351b8b37e74f0535b39f69a.jpg

Looking good! 

Although If you're looking for constructive critisism. you might want t then that metal a little bit. Easy to do and will make it look even smoother :) 

And yes they are the most fun models to paint in the whole KO range (I feel). 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Kramer said:

Looking good! 

Although If you're looking for constructive critisism. you might want t then that metal a little bit. Easy to do and will make it look even smoother :) 

And yes they are the most fun models to paint in the whole KO range (I feel). 

I will make sure I will try! Most of the reaper paints are overly thinned, to the point when they come out of the bottle they closely resemble a shade, so I am not really used to thinning paints much.

Edited by Sttufe

2 hours ago, Sttufe said:

I will make sure I will try! Most of the reaper paints are overly thinned, to the point when they come out of the bottle they closely resemble a shade, so I am not really used to thinning paints much.

Never worked with them so I wouldn’t know. But it’s all about experimentation. Try it and if it’s doesn’t work for you then you’ve learned that :) 

• Thanks 1

Update Time! I have completed Thundrik's Profiteers as I was bored and so I have completed them. Same for my gunhauler, I might post pics soon, might wait, who knows. For now I have taken your advice @Kramer and *tried to* thin my paints. Here is the result:

20200409_201554.jpg.01f9decbba221cec602f3a0c54cdf9da.jpg

My personal favorite, ranked 1st - 3rd

20200409_201610.jpg.b8a6252ca2dcb1865a8c2a5b0ec5edfb.jpg

20200409_201620.jpg.e3b1a9ae1c4f4dc00cf3f3eb9c36c954.jpg

20200409_201627.jpg.10ac3fe94144e919d7a918ed6762814b.jpg

I am still working on getting better at shading and thinning and the like but I think these guys turned out pretty well!

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Welp, I am afraid progress has been paused, as I have run out of primer. Very sad, going to pick up some tomorrow , however for now I am unable to get some newly assembled models primed. In other news how should I be doing shields? I have seen people leave them off and primer them separately, people who paint and primer it all assembled, and people who paint everything then attach it. What works best, as I understand from a basic understanding of The World that it won't go on well fully assembled, however I am not sure when I should attach it or any tips I could get for doing it.

7 hours ago, Sttufe said:

Welp, I am afraid progress has been paused, as I have run out of primer. Very sad, going to pick up some tomorrow , however for now I am unable to get some newly assembled models primed. In other news how should I be doing shields? I have seen people leave them off and primer them separately, people who paint and primer it all assembled, and people who paint everything then attach it. What works best, as I understand from a basic understanding of The World that it won't go on well fully assembled, however I am not sure when I should attach it or any tips I could get for doing it.

For me I try to paint in several layers building up color. It's easier to learn than you might think but requires a lot of practice for me. I learned a lot through the Oscar Lars tutorials on YouTube. Full disclosure I help with the video edit so i'm biased.

What works for me now, is to build up the basic colours and stick the model wholly together. That way I can see where the light would hit and what would block the light. Or at least practice getting the lighter colours on the right places. 

So for your dwarfs (I assume it's the starter box you pledged) I would paint the model and shield separate and before doing highlights I would stick them together. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Kramer said:

For me I try to paint in several layers building up color. It's easier to learn than you might think but requires a lot of practice for me. I learned a lot through the Oscar Lars tutorials on YouTube. Full disclosure I help with the video edit so i'm biased.

What works for me now, is to build up the basic colours and stick the model wholly together. That way I can see where the light would hit and what would block the light. Or at least practice getting the lighter colours on the right places. 

So for your dwarfs (I assume it's the starter box you pledged) I would paint the model and shield separate and before doing highlights I would stick them together. 

So uh, minor update, I ah looked up how to do this, and uh, it told me to glue em first? Not directly at any rate, however I glued them on and so now I am just going to be priming very carefully. Speaking of primer I should be getting some models painted soon! So much spraying.

40 minutes ago, Sttufe said:

So uh, minor update, I ah looked up how to do this, and uh, it told me to glue em first? Not directly at any rate, however I glued them on and so now I am just going to be priming very carefully. Speaking of primer I should be getting some models painted soon! So much spraying.

What kind of glue are you using? 

On 4/13/2020 at 10:00 AM, Kramer said:

Nope then soldiering through is better 😂

Yep, just gonna have to learn form my mistakes 😅

On 4/13/2020 at 10:57 AM, TheR00zle said:

Just browsed through to see how you were doing and instantly decided to follow, keep up the good work mate!

Thanks so much, trying to get the smaller duardin more represented among the TGA painting community!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys new update! Long time no pics, progress has been slow sadly. I have finished the first contingent of Vulkite Berzerkers, 5 of them, and I have another 2 WIP and a Runsmiter (on foot). I am gonna finish those and the Berzerkers, ten finish up 3 riggers and get back onto the rest of Fyreslayer force. I am going to do the runes after everything else is done, because I need to take some serious time on those. Pics time!

20200427_190055.jpg.55e15d00aed129d1c2fd437255b56d83.jpg

Better lighting but I still need a whitebox and better light placement.

• Like 1

OK guys so I have shaded 6 of the Berserkers and the rest are totally finished, getting 3 endrinriggers done, a runesmiter was shaded, and I am waiting for a new gold to arrive as I realized my current one is having the same problems as the silver (oh Reaper, how you pain me so). Mostly done but the Horn man is getting new gold sometime soon. Holding off on the runeson and the magmadroth w/ runefather till then and in the meantime the riggers are looking nice! Pics coming soon, I might try to set up a lightbox.

Once again I have taken some pictures, here are an (almost) finished 10 vulkite berserkers, and a runesmiter which is finished. Currently on the painting table is 3 endrinriggers. Waiting on more paints for other minis, I dunno how long that is going to be but I may start work ont eh dispossessed. Only time will tell.

20200501_205040.jpg.4a439cbdb2d6a4031ee7f57d7ebda8c9.jpg

Runesmiter (unbased)

20200501_205005.jpg.973cdddea018ed6d08a4a47c6edc9da5.jpg

Terrible pic of the lead elements.

20200501_204935.jpg.fcddef582a00aa8120429f37a24a50ec.jpg

The entire unit of berserkers

20200501_204818.jpg.6b63245aa8c4e809bc23c4667aa8734a.jpg

Different angle of them, not sure which I liked better.

20200501_204754.jpg.b422169643a4a361398af329384519c0.jpg

Al of them as a whole.

Obviously they still need basing however that will come in due time.

Edited by Sttufe
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys so I have started work on the second gunhauler, I have replaced the older grey with a new one, leadbelcher, should be quite recognizable, it solved a problem i never knew I had. Continuing with that I am going to finish it, get the  runefather on the magmadroth finished, get the balloon painted, and then paint the magmadroth itself.

• Like 1

• Sttufe changed the title to Sttufe's Painting Blag (Aelves Stole my Hammers)
  • 2 weeks later...

image.png.60ada80b714c54b06fc564ef468f5053.png

Did some modifications on the statue and some blender displacement maps for some nice dunes, I am now preparing to 3d print this thing, after I do some measurements for slots in it. Using these, I can put clear plastic rods in them and use it as a base for my ironclad. Gonna do some testing and then I will post the file up on thingiverse for anyone who has a 3d printer.

• Like 1

• Sttufe changed the title to Sttufe's Painting Blag (3d Printing Fun)

Mk then, my next project is a proxy for a Mega Gargant. And so, I introduce to you, the Red Colossus.
image.png.2e7523321c0da8a4527ae6e70932b8ac.png
In the Age of Myth, when gods walked the world and legendary artifacts were forged, in the Bone Sea of Ghur, a great city was founded. This cities original name is lost to time like many artifacts belonging to the ruined city. It was built into a canyon in the middle of a desert, a plateau rising sharply to either side, and had the Grand Stoneway, a massive unbroken perfectly flat bridge of sorts, travelling a hundred feet above the land on either side. As time went on, whether through magic or some other premonition, the leader of the city, known only as the Good Tyrant, his name now lost to the shifting sands of the red desert, learned of the Age of Chaos. With this knowledge in hand, he set about gathering authority about himself, as he was a competent ruler, ruthless yet fair. Each race living among the ruins claim he is of their kin, but none can discern who he really was. When he reached the climax of his power, controlling all property and people of his city, he made his move.  He fortified past the already veritably unseizable walls, making defenses along the canyons edges, establishing choke point at either end of the city, and generally making his city impregnable. He partnered with duardin stone masons, human sorcerers, and great aelven architects, forming the greatest fortress the realms had ever seen, known as the Red Fortress of the North, for the red plateau that it was carved out of. They spread the word of the apocalypse, and those who believed them were allowed free entry. And so it grew into an economic gem of frantic labor and draconian policies as the Good Tyrant consolidated resources, establishing equality for all in pursuit of true defense, and in this pursuit the city produced wonders and artifacts of unimaginable value, great structures unreplicable today with masterful architecture. And yet it was all for naught, for a group of aelves known as the Council of 3, each having a seat on his council of advisors, sought power for themselves. When the Age of Chaos came, they assassinated the Good Tyrant, and though the city was impregnable, the internal fighting wrought in the sudden power vacuum squandered resources, and though they were great plotters, their performance on the battlefield was terrible, and so the city fell within months instead of centuries, and the population was massacred by the forces of chaos.  No aelf is allowed within the area reclaimed by the duardin descendants, lest they be killed for their treachery, and the grudge is written on a great stone tablet, with leters a foot high on each side, set atop the crown of the sunken statue of Grungni that once crowned the city.

One of the many defenses of the great city was golems towering hundreds of feet in the air, carved from the hardest rock of the surrounding stone, reinforced with duardin runes, animated by ingenious magicks applied by great human sorcerers, and designed and carved by the finest aelven architects. They sat motionless, and would only respond to the Good Tyrant's call, so when he was struck down, and the forces of Chaos reigned, the sat motionless while the city they were built to protect was burned. Each was a masterpiece, and the greatest of which was said to soar into the air, over a thousand feet tall, and with each footfall able to crush a regiment of spears. It was named Grungni's Fury, for it was fashioned in the likeliness of the duardin god, and it is said that the god himself forged the runes carved into it's skin. With the passage of time, they wore away, ground down by nature, and even the ones that survived the harsh desert winds had their animating magic dissipate. The Red Colossus is the last of it's kind, scarred and pitted by the centuries of sitting motionless around the walls, and was only reanimated by the duardin who occupy the ruins of the Fortress. With a refurbished hammer and rejuvenated runes, once again the Protector of the Northern Fortress walks amongst his people.

Basically this is my stand in for my Mega Gargant, so I have to find out base size and height before I print him, but as of right now I just have to make his hammer cooler and make the handle more dwarfy, and then he is done. I took a lot of inspiration from Greek culture, and I will continue that theme with any ruins I make for bases or terrain.

Edited by Sttufe

• 2 weeks later...

Printign out some cavalry bears while I tune my printer to print miniatures, turns out my filament was too old so holding on the giant for a bit. In terms of design, I am going to be printing off some grot gliders for my friend. 

image.png.06f3d1f24d967498fbe6198ab497349a.png

I tried to persuade him to let me design a launcher and use them as doom divers, but nooooo, he wants them as a stand alone flying unit since he doesnt like squigs and wants flying units, as I play KO. Can't imagine why, they will get slaughtered, but oh well. It will be a toss up whether I get around to making a lucnher with some optional rules for launching these guys, but my idea is too attach bags with some mushrooms sticking out the top and have him use them as bombers, I dunno. Ideas on what it is are welcome, I probs will be printing this out when I get my hands on a resin printer.

image.png.de4f20dd6a2b73d78cf2cdf9cf1126a4.png

Gonna make another 2 unique sculpts as well. I will also probably put them up in Thingiverse for anyone who wants to print their own.

• Like 1