The Age of the Bristling Beard!

6 minutes ago, Sttufe said:

So we have Ur Gold, Aether Gold, clearly they need the Sky Silver? Oh well, that would be an amazing addition, and those guys would NOT be Order, judging by the fact that they are mentioned with dead gods an deamons. Could be a good pathway into the LoA plastic models, introducing them with the Valay.

Weird mutations? Word games? Sounds a bit Lord-of-Changeish / Cthulhu mythos to me... Antithesis to everything their cousins fight for. Aesthetically, I don't know, but I think it could be a definitely nice twist for Chaos Duardin lorewise.

Edited by Khaedhras
Adding Cthulhu in the mix. Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

10 minutes ago, Khaedhras said:

Weird mutations? Word games? Sounds a bit Lord-of-Changeish / Cthulhu mythos to me... Antithesis to everything their cousins fight for. Aesthetically, I don't know, but I think it could be a definitely nice twist for Chaos Duardin lorewise.

I would take a Cthulhu army no matter what it's basis is, but a Cthulhu and Duardin army? Who can ally with Tzeentch? That would be a yes on every possible level, and fits nicely into the High Fantasy theme of AoS, being so over the top you can see the clouds before you can spot it. Bring in the LoA plastic and I  would be brought into buying Chaos

1 hour ago, Ravinsild said:

Is there any really relevant lore to the Dispossessed in AOS? I was inspired by the guy who made his own army lore earlier in the thread but I'm not sure where to draw from or even where Dwarves live per se. I've been looking at using Scribor Miniatures for the furred cloaks and bears and something like an Arctic, Snowy Mountain, Thunder Dwarf (Celestar Hurricanum with Dwarf Runepriests on it channeling Lightning/Thunder) theme. Snowy polar bears, white fur cloaks, nordic viking dwarf theme but I'm not sure how to write that story to fit into AOS or Cities of Sigmar, especially since I want to run the Greywater Fastness rules. 

In many ways the great thing about the AoS setting is that its large enough for just about anything to fit somewhere. It doesn't overly matter what GW have said dwarves do. In your part of whichever realm, they rider polar bears and have mountainous viking cities! Maybe they are allies of Greywater, or neighbours, or were founded by settlers from there. The sky is definitely the limit!

33 minutes ago, Sttufe said:

I would take a Cthulhu army no matter what it's basis is, but a Cthulhu and Duardin army? Who can ally with Tzeentch? That would be a yes on every possible level, and fits nicely into the High Fantasy theme of AoS, being so over the top you can see the clouds before you can spot it. Bring in the LoA plastic and I  would be brought into buying Chaos

So... Marine Daemonic Cthulu Duardin to contest the Idoneth supremacy in the seas. All hail our new Valay Overlords. I'd fully support it, even if it was only for the outrage in the Twitch chat when they revealed it ("omg sepia dwarves").

49 minutes ago, Khaedhras said:

So... Marine Daemonic Cthulu Duardin to contest the Idoneth supremacy in the seas. All hail our new Valay Overlords. I'd fully support it, even if it was only for the outrage in the Twitch chat when they revealed it ("omg sepia dwarves").

And I was noting something even better. Just take a look at the rumor engine: I doubt it will be the Valay, but who knows? At first I thought it was Slaanesh however I saw the barnacles, and then I thought it was Sons however the Kraken Eater has already been released, so who knows, it is either Idoneth, or 40k, and if it isn't either maybe it is the Valay? And also allied with Tzeentch for more outrage points.

Edit: Woops realized you were talking about the rumor engine already

Edited by Sttufe

We dwarf players are really lucky with all the great ranges that exist now.

Indeed the Atlantis dwarves are great !

I love these 2 other ranges too :

DURGIT PAINFORGE

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/durginpaintforge/the-iron-crows-and-other-dwarves-of-kazhuk-izril?ref=discovery&term=dwarf

Durgit.JPG

LEAD ADVENTURE

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/822163699/dwarven-gold-fever?ref=discovery&term=dwarf

Lead.JPG

The former range's scultps and quality are great (the ones I received were perfect), the latter being in a more raw quality (but quite nice anyways).

Edited by WathLab

4 minutes ago, WathLab said:

We dwarf players are really lucky with all the great ranges that exist now.

Indeed the Atlantis dwarves are great !

I love these 2 other ranges too :

DURGIT PAINFORGE

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/durginpaintforge/the-iron-crows-and-other-dwarves-of-kazhuk-izril?ref=discovery&term=dwarf

Durgit.JPG

LEAD ADVENTURE

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/822163699/dwarven-gold-fever?ref=discovery&term=dwarf

Lead.JPG

The former range's scultps and quality are great (the ones I received were perfect), the latter being in a more raw quality (but quite nice anyways).

My only problem with these sculpts and the older Fantasy dwarfs is that the scale feels wrong, and i just don't like the way they look. The new dwarfs look more well proportioned and actually fit to fight in a battle. The one exception is the Bugman's, as they are perfect for the comic relief portion of the dwarfs. I just think that the idea didn't work well when put into the entirety of an army.

5 minutes ago, Sttufe said:

I just think that the idea didn't work well when put into the entirety of an army.

Exactly. I only use them to represent special characters, or in some scenarios.

(But I mostly buy some of these - only the few ones I prefer - for collection purpose...)

Edited by WathLab

59 minutes ago, Sttufe said:

Edit: Woops realized you were talking about the rumor engine already

Nevermind ;)  Name even sounds like a twist on Valaya - maybe she went the "Helya" (from WoW) road? I have to recognize, I qouted that bit of lore as a joke and the more we speak the more interested I get. Is there a door we can knock on GW's HQ? 

27 minutes ago, Khaedhras said:

Nevermind ;)  Name even sounds like a twist on Valaya - maybe she went the "Helya" (from WoW) road? I have to recognize, I qouted that bit of lore as a joke and the more we speak the more interested I get. Is there a door we can knock on GW's HQ? 

We could probably ask their facebook, but I dunno, I feel like my hopes and dreams would be dashed by the quite obvious answer. Sometimes they answer, sometimes they don't. We could also bust in the HQ office, however unfortunately there may be legal repercussions. Obviously ridiculous however very unfortunate. I think I might actually save this as my first conversion project, as it sounds disturbingly plausible. Plus you could reason that the Idoneth didn't mention them because they are still Aelves at heart and of course they would tell everyone that they have "total dominion" over the oceans of the realms. I wouldn't bet even a mug of watered down Hazkal on the fact that they are telling the truth.

Edited by Sttufe

1 hour ago, Sttufe said:

My only problem with these sculpts and the older Fantasy dwarfs is that the scale feels wrong, and i just don't like the way they look. The new dwarfs look more well proportioned and actually fit to fight in a battle. The one exception is the Bugman's, as they are perfect for the comic relief portion of the dwarfs. I just think that the idea didn't work well when put into the entirety of an army.

I think the Atlantis mini's are really nice, the scale is very close to modern dwarfs, and they fit right by Gotrek, Kharadron and most of the Blood Bowl dwarves (I don't have Disposessed or Fyreslayers). They are a bit bulky and big for the old metal dwarves though.

I like having a few different dwarf styles, but GW has really slipped in scale. It's making it hard to use GW minis for other games (which is a concern to me). They've gone from 17mm eye height to 25mm. That's where humans were.

I've been looking very hard at Scribor Dwarves and I like many of them. I'm in a debate between official GW Irondrakes and GW Hammerers (I know what I want from Scribor for Ironbreakers and Longbeards) but I'm not sure which way I want to go. Any other options for Dwarves with huge 2-handed hammers and/or Dwarves with huge guns? 

Thanks!

Lovely, a dedicated dawi thread :)

After a few false starts over the years, our gaming group is getting into Age of Sigmar (you can see our blog, The Tallowlands here, if you'd like to follow along), and the release of Cities of Sigmar has allowed me some way of using my favourite models.

dwarfs+a.jpg

There are around a hundred infantry in all, at various stages of completion ranging from primed with the bases completed (I did a big batch) to those above. We're aiming for an internal 'Armies on Parade' at the end of May, so I'll be getting a wriggle on.

IMG_7903.jpg

IMG_7900.jpg

Having a dwarf army again after many years (back in third edition) is great, and I dearly hope there's eventually a dedicated 'ground dwarf' list. Personally, I don't hold much faith in the weirder engineering like cannons and gryocopters, so I'd like to see more emphasis on quarrellers, the return of bolt throwers, grudge throwers and similar – even a bit of (properly harnessed) magic.

Looking forward to NinthMusketeer's allegiance abilities :)

• Like 7
  • LOVE IT! 2

Great thread! After getting the rulebook for Warlords of Erehwon last week, I'm tempted into starting a small force of old school Dwarfs like the below picture

Does anyone know a good source of Dwarven war machines? Can't seem to find any outside of crazy eBay prices.

IMG_20200423_114842.jpg.247db620d55cd2c1d29157fd48e3d15c.jpg

On 4/17/2020 at 11:34 AM, WathLab said:

All is lost ! While Brewmasters are still on their play-test phase...  a new idea took me by suprise.

Get prepared to meet the Citadel Dwarven Ancestors Club for Warhammer Underworlds !

also known as

Four Dwarves and a Bear !

Hmm. What I wrote last week wasn't reasonnable, really.

I would lie if I told you that this was meant to be a TRILOGY right from the beginning, but it's what it is now...

So get prepared to meet Grung's Iron Hammers too, my third and final custom warband for Warhammer Underworlds !

We needed a warband built around Runes and 8th Edition artworks, did'nt we ?

Edited by WathLab
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WathLab said:

Hmm. What I wrote last week wasn't reasonnable, really.

I would lie if I told you that this was meant to be a TRILOGY right from the beginning, but it's what it is now...

So get prepared to meet Grung's Iron Hammers too, my third and final custom warband for Warhammer Underworlds !

We needed a warband built around Runes and 8th Edition artworks, did'nt we ?

I get a feeling that this is going to turn into a much longer series very quickly. 

3 hours ago, MarkK said:

Great thread! After getting the rulebook for Warlords of Erehwon last week, I'm tempted into starting a small force of old school Dwarfs like the below picture

Does anyone know a good source of Dwarven war machines? Can't seem to find any outside of crazy eBay prices.

I think I found an ok sized one, it may be a bit small, from Mantic. The Ironbelcher can be assembled as an organ gun, and the bombard looks relatively close tot he cannon. I couldn't find anything for the other dwarf war machines sadly.

Without the crew you can get the organ gun in plastic (it also is a dual kit):

https://www.manticgames.com/games/kings-of-war/dwarfs/plastic-frame-dwarf-ironbelcher/

Edited by Sttufe
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sttufe said:

I get a feeling that this is going to turn into a much longer series very quickly. 

Ahahah. I love series indeed. Fortunately, each new custom warband takes quite a lot of time to make, and needs a bit of play test before I share, so everything will be quite for a while...

Wait.

Is the 1st version of all the Ancestors' cards already finished ?

Damn it !

Edited by WathLab

5 hours ago, MarkK said:

Scibor Miniatures has Cannons on top of BEARS as well as Ballistae on top of Bears. I know nothing for the organ gun or the grudge thrower though :/ 

I've been looking for alternate GW sculpts for Hammerers and Irondrakes. Scibor has some, but their bears are tucked into their armor and it sort of makes them look like eggs, so if it comes down to it I'll get GW's models, but I'm open to anything that could work if anyone has suggestions. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sttufe said:

I think I found an ok sized one, it may be a bit small, from Mantic. The Ironbelcher can be assembled as an organ gun, and the bombard looks relatively close tot he cannon. I couldn't find anything for the other dwarf war machines sadly.

Without the crew you can get the organ gun in plastic (it also is a dual kit):

https://www.manticgames.com/games/kings-of-war/dwarfs/plastic-frame-dwarf-ironbelcher/

That's not too bad, although I'm not gone on the older Mantic dwarfs, very flat on top! Will keep a look out for separate crew or convert my own 🤔

9 minutes ago, Ravinsild said:

Scibor Miniatures has Cannons on top of BEARS as well as Ballistae on top of Bears. I know nothing for the organ gun or the grudge thrower though :/ 

They look great! Might be good option for a centerpiece, thanks!

49 minutes ago, Ravinsild said:

I've been looking for alternate GW sculpts for Hammerers and Irondrakes. Scibor has some, but their bears are tucked into their armor and it sort of makes them look like eggs, so if it comes down to it I'll get GW's models, but I'm open to anything that could work if anyone has suggestions. 

Have you taken a look at Atlantis Miniatures? Though their armament is quite mixed, if you want to sprinkle a few in, it would work perfectly.

5 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

Have you taken a look at Atlantis Miniatures? Though their armament is quite mixed, if you want to sprinkle a few in, it would work perfectly.

Yep! As far as I can tell they seem to just have a miner squad and crossbow squad though?

6 minutes ago, Ravinsild said:

Yep! As far as I can tell they seem to just have a miner squad and crossbow squad though?

They have dwarven ladies with a mix of hammers and axes (some one handed and shield, some two weapons, some two handed), men with hammers and axes, crossbows, war sheep, war hogs, war bears, war beasts, and riders for all of those, royalty, a wizard and a few villagers.

Great sculpts (at least the ones I have).