The Age of the Bristling Beard!

1 hour ago, Clan's Cynic said:

LotR's scale was always smaller even against WHFB's older kits and the scale-creep won't have helped things. I couldn't speak for how much larger the newer Forge World kits are however.

The Hobbit is a bit taller, and would be as big, but they are a lot more realistic than WHFB dwarves, even the metal ones.

1 hour ago, EccentricCircle said:

LotR is a largish 25 mm scale, so is much smaller than modern warhammer which is officially "heroic 28mm" but in practice is more like 32 mm in many cases. Warhammer is also a lot more "cartoony" with very exagerated proportions, while LotR is made to be a close match to the look of the films. Some bits can work if used cleverly, but  they are deliberately distinct.

Understood, thanks guys for explaining this.

2 hours ago, King Under the Mountain said:

Scary thought.

What if my dream army comes and it features Dragon Riding Dwarf wizards.

Cringes 

I would pray for your soul and hope that the dwarf dragon wizard is optional. May it come out of that conflict with it's beard untainted.

Also what is your dream army? Mine would just be expanding the Dispossessed army into more hammas and axes + cavalry. I mean if you want artillery you can take the ironweld and stick a dwarf crew on it, maybe I would also vote for a dual kit with the steam tank to make it dwarf-y becasue it seems SO close to being proper dwarven ingenuity, but not quite there with all the symbol stuff on the sides.

Edited by Sttufe
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

2 hours ago, Sttufe said:

I would pray for your soul and hope that the dwarf dragon wizard is optional. May it come out of that conflict with it's beard untainted.

Also what is your dream army? Mine would just be expanding the Dispossessed army into more hammas and axes + cavalry. I mean if you want artillery you can take the ironweld and stick a dwarf crew on it, maybe I would also vote for a dual kit with the steam tank to make it dwarf-y becasue it seems SO close to being proper dwarven ingenuity, but not quite there with all the symbol stuff on the sides.

If we’re talking dream armies I want to see what the Furnace Kings that Gw has been teasing in full caps throughout various books to be released.

In my mind these guys have taken the whole weapon train theme of the Legion of Azgorh to its natural 11. I’m talking full on steam engine based armor, their wizards summon fire and ash, and the mechanized daemons known as the Kdaai look like cannibalized train cars. 

of course, if they do actually release this faction, odds are they won’t look like this at all.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TheR00zle said:

If we’re talking dream armies I want to see what the Furnace Kings that Gw has been teasing in full caps throughout various books to be released.

In my mind these guys have taken the whole weapon train theme of the Legion of Azgorh to its natural 11. I’m talking full on steam engine based armor, their wizards summon fire and ash, and the mechanized daemons known as the Kdaai look like cannibalized train cars. 

of course, if they do actually release this faction, odds are they won’t look like this at all.

Thomas the Terror Train

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, TheR00zle said:

Check Sciborminiatures.com if you feel the need to scratch that itch. (or get bear riders for home brew/ proxy dracoths) 

10 hours ago, Clan's Cynic said:

The latest Kharadron lore mentions that Chamon had Dwarf Mages.

So, uh....

...Yeah.

I know not everything mentioned in the lore gets realised in plastic, but with these kind of mentions, the warcry releases, AoS forgeworld cuts and so on I do wonder if our chaotic kin will be seeing a plastic reinvention sometime in the next few years. 

11 hours ago, King Under the Mountain said:

Scary thought.

What if my dream army comes and it features Dragon Riding Dwarf wizards.

Cringes 

Sorry, I've already got a couple of tech priest grombrindal to convert for CoS mages at some point. 

I'd also like to make a dwarven 'phoenix' or two. I'm planning one riding a molten infernoth and maybe another riding a wildfire taurus (or maybe another infernoth). I would like to have a thane with battle standard riding the infernoth but I'm not sure how. Any ideas? Failing that, any ideas for alternative riders (KO or dispossessed)? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dr Ben said:

Check Sciborminiatures.com if you feel the need to scratch that itch. (or get bear riders for home brew/ proxy dracoths) 

I know not everything mentioned in the lore gets realised in plastic, but with these kind of mentions, the warcry releases, AoS forgeworld cuts and so on I do wonder if our chaotic kin will be seeing a plastic reinvention sometime in the next few years. 

Sorry, I've already got a couple of tech priest grombrindal to convert for CoS mages at some point. 

I'd also like to make a dwarven 'phoenix' or two. I'm planning one riding a molten infernoth and maybe another riding a wildfire taurus (or maybe another infernoth). I would like to have a thane with battle standard riding the infernoth but I'm not sure how. Any ideas? Failing that, any ideas for alternative riders (KO or dispossessed)? 

My tech priest Grombrindel was going to be something like a Navigator, but a Chamon mage would actually be quite a good idea!

I have been eyeing Scribor quite a bit. They are priced like GW minis (more expensive on troops, cheaper on heroes), but with better design and diversity loads more choice, and chances are that's where I'll jump when I finish Kharadron and what I already own for Cities.

Edited by zilberfrid

On 4/4/2020 at 5:05 AM, TheR00zle said:

Since I'm one of the "evil" guys on this thread(though Grungi abandoned us), Im hoping for some plastic Chaos Dwarfs.

Well you don't exist so i don't see how you could get plastic models... 🤔

I've got a large kharadron force and  an army of old world disspossed  as well. This is a cool thread!

1 hour ago, Mordeus said:

Well you don't exist so i don't see how you could get plastic models... 🤔

I've got a large kharadron force and  an army of old world disspossed  as well. This is a cool thread!

Legion of Azgorh on FW? They are the closest we can get to real Chaos Dwarfs in this depraved age.

I want your opinion guys: I have three metal dwarf heroes:

- Warden king (the one in the AoS app)

- Cogsmith

- Joseph Bugman

The logical third hero in Cities would be a Runelord. He doesn't look anthing like a Runelord, but I really want him to be a hero in my army.

These models being metal, how would you go about this?

3 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

I want your opinion guys: I have three metal dwarf heroes:

- Warden king (the one in the AoS app)

- Cogsmith

- Joseph Bugman

The logical third hero in Cities would be a Runelord. He doesn't look anthing like a Runelord, but I really want him to be a hero in my army.

These models being metal, how would you go about this?

Which metal Josef bugman? If it’s the one lifting an axe, cut it off  drill a whole through the hand and with a thin copper rod give him a staff. 

but really is get a real runelord or something else to convert as metal is a pain. And the Brugmans to iconic. 

7 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Which metal Josef bugman? If it’s the one lifting an axe, cut it off  drill a whole through the hand and with a thin copper rod give him a staff. 

but really is get a real runelord or something else to convert as metal is a pain. And the Brugmans to iconic. 

Thanks. I'll convert something else then, probably the Forgeword Bugmans or the LOTR Flói Stonehand (well, that's no conversion). I'm not going to pay 20 euro's for a miniature-sized hero, and we're at that point where Forgeworld is getting cheaper per character than the AoS main line.

7 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

Thanks. I'll convert something else then, probably the Forgeword Bugmans or the LOTR Flói Stonehand (well, that's no conversion). I'm not going to pay 20 euro's for a miniature-sized hero, and we're at that point where Forgeworld is getting cheaper per character than the AoS main line.

€7,50 easy find (not mine)

https://www.marktplaats.nl/a/hobby-en-vrije-tijd/warhammer-en-wargaming/m1521492332-warhammer-dwarves-dwarf-dwarfs-runesmith.html?c=08c285449651fa109c354bbabe740c1b&previousPage=lr

He's Bugman, he can be a runelord if he's drunk enough! 

On an unrelated note while we wait for a  Valaya themed army, does anyone know of a good source of female dwarven warriors, shield maidens etc? I figure some one must make them. I've seen plenty of individual hero figures for D&D, such as the wizkids and reaper models, but does anyone know of good infantry or gun  line type kits?

• Haha 1

On 4/7/2020 at 6:33 PM, DarkBeardRising said:

That would be a cool idea but goblins ride wolves. How about Rams?

Bears.

you beardlings wont remember but in the early days of Citadel miniatures there was a sculptor called nick lund who had a range of miniatures called chronicle.

there was dwarf bear Cavalry and an awesome cannon!

• Like 1

Just now, Kaleb Daark said:

Bears.

you beardlings wont remember but in the early days of Citadel miniatures there was a sculptor called nick lund who had a range of miniatures called chronicle.

there was dwarf bear Cavalry and an awesome cannon!

I am sorry, I but are you telling me that there was a bunch of dwarfs on a bear with a massive cannon, and cavalry on bears? Conversion project has been found.

• Like 1