Your pile of shame in picture

Maturin

Just got into the hobby so I only have have about 1k points (woah that was fast, I didn't even realize I had gotten that far. Maybe I should calculate price? Better not), however my army is already half grey, half painted, and my gunhauler(s) might be put off for a while since I just don't like the model much. Steadily painting them, but buying faster than I can paint!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Sonnenspeer said:

I buy a box, build paint and play with it. Then buy the next. Super stupid idea now that all shops are closed

I do this too. Er, rather, I'm incredibly neurotic about everything and restart armies I've already got to "do it right", and also a lesson learned. 

Story time: I already had 50 ArdBoyz, 25 Brutes, 9 Gore-Gruntas, 3 Warchantas, 4 Weirdknob Shaman, 1 Megaboss on Foot and 1 Megaboss on Maw-Krusha. All fully built, none of them painted. 

I decided to rebuy 3 Start Collecting! Boxes, a Megaboss on Foot, a Maw-Krusha, and a box of brutes. I've sub assemble built and painted 1 Start Collecting! box. I play with Ironjawz army I already built...but I'll never paint it. My painting project is my "perfect" Ironjawz army, one box at a time. Very meticulous, very careful. TBH i don't know what to do with my already built unpainted army. I guess...paint them. But they'll be worse. I won't be able to be as detailed. 

This really bothers me. 

I also have about 10,000 points of unpainted Khorne and I really don't know what to do about it :/ I built some of them in ways making a good paint job almost impossible... 

Then I restarted my entire World Eaters army. I started with 3 boxes of regular Khorne Berzerkers and several Start Collecting! Space marines for the Helbrutes and such, Chaos Terminator Lords, Rhinos, everything. 

I then neurotically decided it must be "official" World Eaters and I've rebought the ENTIRE army using normal Chaos Space Marines, and ForgeWorld Chainaxe upgrade kits, World Eaters Conversion kits on all custom made Berzerkers, Rhino doors (World Eaters Rhino Conversion), even world eaters conversion kits for the guys who stick out of the rhinos to man the Combi-Bolters. I'm replacing my Helbrutes with World Eaters Legion Contemptor Dreadnoughts in order to "count as" because it has the Legion emblem. I've rebought and redone my Chaos Terminator Lord, and plan to re-do my Warp talons with conversion kits too. 

I just re-buy and sub-assemble paint and go 1 box at a time while using the unpainted but fully built stuff as my "play army" until one day I bring out the fully painted glory and shock everybody. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheWilddog said:

I have been pretty good at getting most of my stuff painted, but my big grey shame is my goblin army. I keep wanting to make them my highest level painted army but that has just resulted in my pushing them off and never starting. So now I have over 4,000 points of shame.

Did you try with washes ? Before Constrast paints came out, I wanted to paint the hundreds of Night Goblins I own with washes following this guy's technique :

3 hours ago, Kramer said:

And if that's not enough, and I know it's a long term fix so start early, a couple of kids... 

I know I did:

1789783096_Screenshot2019-12-06at11_43_13.PNG.32b0fae8bcadbc4f6025d6f446884038.PNG

Wait, is he doing a Vulcan Salute ? If so that kid's blesses. Both Warhammer and Star Trek since that age ? :D

21 minutes ago, Ravinsild said:

I do this too. Er, rather, I'm incredibly neurotic about everything and restart armies I've already got to "do it right", and also a lesson learned. 

Story time: I already had 50 ArdBoyz, 25 Brutes, 9 Gore-Gruntas, 3 Warchantas, 4 Weirdknob Shaman, 1 Megaboss on Foot and 1 Megaboss on Maw-Krusha. All fully built, none of them painted. 

I decided to rebuy 3 Start Collecting! Boxes, a Megaboss on Foot, a Maw-Krusha, and a box of brutes. I've sub assemble built and painted 1 Start Collecting! box. I play with Ironjawz army I already built...but I'll never paint it. My painting project is my "perfect" Ironjawz army, one box at a time. Very meticulous, very careful. TBH i don't know what to do with my already built unpainted army. I guess...paint them. But they'll be worse. I won't be able to be as detailed. 

This really bothers me.

It shouldn't! You can have fun with your unpainted army and one day BAM here comes the big mean IJ fully painted to UBBER level army!
Then you can sell the non painted one to buy some more goodies.
Same thing with your World Eaters!

Don't hesitate to sell the built figs you deem impossible to paint to the standard you desire. I know some guys who paint wonders on already built models and who wouldn't mind buying those!

1 minute ago, Maturin said:

Wait, is he doing a Vulcan Salute ? If so that kid's blesses. Both Warhammer and Star Trek since that age ? :D

Haha I wouldn’t know where she would have picked that up! I’ll question the daycare as soon as possible 🤔

(I think she was just done with the Christmas hat. I tried to use the baby to win the Christmas grot competition to no avail 😂)

4 hours ago, MarkK said:

Best of luck with the PhD!

A simpler game like Song of Blades and Heroes or Warcry might be a good shout, both pretty simplified, with any miniatures working with Song of Blades & Heroes

Thanks mate. I'm writing the memoir now, if it's good enough I'll get into PHD :). Not there yet!

1 hour ago, Maturin said:

Did you try with washes ? Before Constrast paints came out, I wanted to paint the hundreds of Night Goblins I own with washes following this guy's technique :

I have other armies that I have gotten up to tabletop standard, but goblins were always one of favorites, so I want to really knock them out of the park and take the entire army to my highest standard. That's a great idea but the daunting reality of that has kept them all gray. 

Wow! Great feedback everyone. I’ve wanted to quote just about everyone here. I bought tons of stuff in WFB era. AoS came along after about a 4 year hiatus. I always built fluff armies and has my ass handed to me thru years of tournament time. Loved it all though. This new system was hated by my fellow gamers but I embraced it fully. You could legally put all your favourite units in the same army. What could be wrong with that? 
Before I get derailed, I had loads of unpainted models which are still being used today although a lot less then before, so don’t worry about unpainted units. If you worry about painting quality, just check out my efforts. Very table standard. But I love it. 
Don’t worry about excess. There are no time limits on this hobby or rules. I’ve been farting around with this for 14 years and when it becomes a burden, I walk away till I feel like coming back. You can always sell what you don’t use. There are no rules.  

• Like 2

I don't have a picture of it all in one spot, but after getting my first job over the summer I bought more than I should have. I'm trying to work my way through it my having a spreadsheet to track steps in the painting progress. I'm using this one to track 2020 so far https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14K75Q69_CJ14WDJ4CHBu0IFGaQXZlDygyKKJ3xsY-tE/edit?usp=sharing Not all of the stuff is AoS, some is for D&D, but I'm still hoping to get all of it done. 

8 hours ago, Pariah said:

I don't have a picture of it all in one spot, but after getting my first job over the summer I bought more than I should have. I'm trying to work my way through it my having a spreadsheet to track steps in the painting progress. I'm using this one to track 2020 so far https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14K75Q69_CJ14WDJ4CHBu0IFGaQXZlDygyKKJ3xsY-tE/edit?usp=sharing Not all of the stuff is AoS, some is for D&D, but I'm still hoping to get all of it done. 

That's pretty smart to keep track of your progress and know exactly what you own at the same time! I should keep a log like that!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hughwyeth said:

I use Trello to do something similar - 

Capture.JPG.2d1fec3e0f810af10138ee107ff96fcc.JPG

Yeah I've always like the look on that. For me t's just a Sticky note with a list of what I have painted and unpainted for each faction. But I'm not organised enough to truly keep track. So every once in a while I update it from memory. Also keep my spending notes per year on that file, which really helps me with excessive spending. So in one look I can see: Bought models, € amount, and painted models.

Maybe i'm going to take this time and put everything into an app like that. 

1 hour ago, Kramer said:

Yeah I've always like the look on that. For me t's just a Sticky note with a list of what I have painted and unpainted for each faction. But I'm not organised enough to truly keep track. So every once in a while I update it from memory. Also keep my spending notes per year on that file, which really helps me with excessive spending. So in one look I can see: Bought models, € amount, and painted models.

Maybe i'm going to take this time and put everything into an app like that. 

It doesnt take too long when you know the shortcuts to be honest! It's worth doing- they have phone apps too so you can check it from anywhere. 

8 minutes ago, Maturin said:

So, guys, show me your secret stashes! Where are your plastic soldiers pile ^^

Haha okay I’ll budge and take one tomorrow. Do a spring cleaning so to speak.  But it’s not going to be that impressive in size. Some of the models in there however...

1 hour ago, Kramer said:

Haha okay I’ll budge and take one tomorrow. Do a spring cleaning so to speak.  But it’s not going to be that impressive in size. Some of the models in there however...

Aaaah Noice!! Impressive models you tease me with ? Huhu.

• Like 1

Less of a “pile of shame” and more of a to-do

I’ve gotten started on 5 of the ArdBoyz from that Start Collecting! And I’ve sub assemble built the Warchanter and the other 5 ArdBoyz. 

honestly laying it out like this.... is incredibly encouraging! I’ve not got too much left to go :) I’m just a slow painter lmao 

A5D42F51-A928-4C4F-BA83-7BC2F2E7C248.jpeg

590E03AD-A0F8-4B8D-BA3D-F92094DA4A56.jpeg

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Maturin said:

Aaaah Noice!! Impressive models you tease me with ? Huhu.

Well here we go. Forgot to take pictures of my proudest still to do’s. So I’ll make a little list underneath the picture. 

7738A2C5-4413-4E72-AC93-6A44BB6F8E94.jpeg.dc185c467cad630d295c9d49a8ec99d8.jpeg

Some notable things are: bottom left are some chaos models and bits for converted chariots, warriors and a Slaanesh manticore. But most importantly an old steed mounted archaon. Searched months for that sucker for a reasonable price. 
In the centre are two white dwarf models. The navigator and the film maker. So excited to paint the last one.  Just missing a few skills. 
also Malakai’s axe throwers there. That bad boy is going on an ironclad conversion together with all kinds of old school dwarf hero/collectible models. 
On the right in divided over several boxes are some old metal daemonettes and seekers. Really cool models those. Some slayer pirates. Old executioners and slayers. Who both are just a joy to paint. 

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

21 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

Less of a “pile of shame” and more of a to-do

I’ve gotten started on 5 of the ArdBoyz from that Start Collecting! And I’ve sub assemble built the Warchanter and the other 5 ArdBoyz. 
honestly laying it out like this.... is incredibly encouraging! I’ve not got too much left to go :) I’m just a slow painter lmao

Yes indeed. It's great to do just put what you want to build on a table and say : Ok today, I'm building this and tomorrow I'l start painting!
Send us some pics when you're done :)

1 hour ago, Kramer said:

In the centre are two white dwarf models. The navigator and the film maker. So excited to paint the last one.  Just missing a few skills. 
also Malakai’s axe throwers there. That bad boy is going on an ironclad conversion together with all kinds of old school dwarf hero/collectible models. 
On the right in divided over several boxes are some old metal daemonettes and seekers. Really cool models those. Some slayer pirates. Old executioners and slayers. Who both are just a joy to paint. 

Oh you've got Malakai's lawnmower! You lucky ******^^. It's going way to expensive on ebay, but I do not despair! One day maybe :).
You've also got the slayer pirates ? They're really cool models! I have none but I really like them in pictures.

What are the two white dwarfs you're talking about, navigator and film maker ? Never saw those!

34 minutes ago, Maturin said:

Oh you've got Malakai's lawnmower! You lucky ******^^. It's going way to expensive on ebay, but I do not despair! One day maybe :).
You've also got the slayer pirates ? They're really cool models! I have none but I really like them in pictures.

What are the two white dwarfs you're talking about, navigator and film maker ? Never saw those!

I really hope that both the goblin hewer and the slayer pirates will one day get a made to order. They are such awesome models its a shame they are so hard to get these days.