The Helmets issue with Lumineth (conversion brainstorm)

Thiagoma

From what i can gather from a lot of people on social medias, nos everyone is happy about the "exotic" headgear on the new Elves. Including me.

So i decided to create this topic as an exercise on headswaps BASED ON WHAT WE SEEN SO FAR. (so far all we got is the Montain section of the army)

The Heroes:

Celennar -  Sphiranx. Still not sure about the size or fit to the head, but Free Guild griffon or Phoenix might apply.

Teclis - Idoneth Aspects seen to have the correct helmet size.

Light of Eltharion - I really love this model Helmet and have no suggestion of what to replace it, considering it is an empty helmet.  Perhaps a Stormcast Mask?

Wizard on Stone (couldnt find his/her name!) - Any traditional old school helmet or face should do the trick. A Sister of the Watch face is a good call if you want it to be a she. Another cool option would be using the Phoenix Guard leader helmet and painting it on the same stone pattern as the rest of the model.

Female Wind/River/Veil wizard - Same as above, but still soon to say considering that we do not have a good picture of her yet.

The Troops!

For all the troops, Phoenix Guard, Eternal Guard, Shadow Warrior/Sisters of the Watch and Dragon princes are great choices for conversions.

Vanari Auralan Wardens (Spear guys) - Love the Leader Helmet but not to keen on the plumes of the others.  As usual, Phoenix Guard helmets could do the trick. If i pick the army, personally i will cut the plumes (or glue it) sideways to make mohawks out of then.

Vanari Dawnriders  (Cavalry) - I love this helmets, but if you dont, Dragon Princes helmets are also pretty cool.

Alarith Stoneguard  (hammer guys) - 2 ways to solve the issue : Remove the bull top (it will look just like a traditional High Elf helmet) or use the bull heads on the model as the helmets. Both should work. Another option can be Phoenix Guard or Eternal Guard.

Auralan Sentinels  (archers) - Not the best, not the worse helmets imo. Given the mixed genders, Shadow warriors/Sisters of the watch can be an option.  Sisters of the Thorn/Wild Riders MAY fit but not sure about it.

Annnd the Cow overlords...

This is a hard one imo and i belive many people will come with good options. Sphiranx head is a candidate. I belive i would try the Treelord myself (considering the trees in the back i THINK it might look good.

Now you guys, leave your feedback and ideas!

Edited by Thiagoma
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

I usually don't do conversions that change the height of the model, so it doesn't provide an in-game advantage. That makes it hard for the bull hats to be fielded in the game, because these need to lose a lot of height to look non-rediculous to me.

Perhaps a flag on their backs could provide the same height, or feathers could provide the correct height.

The elemental cow mechas (they really do feel like mechas to me) don't have issues with their cow heads, but the whole design doesn't vibe well with me. Not exactly sure why, probably because they don't look like they'd be able to support that weight on their legs.

Edited by zilberfrid

3 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

The elemental cow mechas (they really do feel like mechas to me) don't have issues with their cow heads, but the whole design doesn't vibe well with me. Not exactly sure why, probably because they don't look like they'd be able to support that weight on their legs.

I have that feeling too. I dare to say its legs should be..... beefier.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

It really does feel like AoS designers want to answer the question "Wat would Lady Gaga look like if she was unhindered by practicality and physics?" in almost every design they make.

These cows, like space marines, sisters of battle, chaos warriors, Ironjawz, space orks and stormcast before them, can't lift their arms.

It's as if they are designing using only American Football as a reference and then make it more extra, because that getup is the pinnacle of battle gear somehow?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

The cows would look great, in a not aelven army. (Slaanesh Beastmen)

I‘d love to put the rider helms on all the infantry including the archer garden-gnome caps. ^^

I feel like they will be hard to find on bits market unless they come in large quantity on the sprues.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

It really does feel like AoS designers want to answer the question "Wat would Lady Gaga look like if she was unhindered by practicality and physics?" in almost every design they make.

These cows, like space marines, sisters of battle, chaos warriors, Ironjawz, space orks and stormcast before them, can't lift their arms.

It's as if they are designing using only American Football as a reference and then make it more extra, because that getup is the pinnacle of battle gear somehow?

Just look at the size of the cow monsters pauldrons! I love the model but holy ******, those things are fit for the God Emperor.

• Thanks 1

I made a post about this in the lumineth thread, looking at other head options, but it seemed largely ignored, I hope this has a better home here!

I was looking through some bits online rather than doing homework, and I found some potential bits that could be fun replacements for the cow totems:

some modification required, but a spartan helmet: https://www.shapeways.com/product/5NHR7LTSG/next-gen-spartans-helmets-x10-or-x20?optionId=149428714&li=marketplace  on second thought this is way too space mariney

a stormcast conversion helmet, but could work pretty well: https://www.shapeways.com/product/UT2YDEP4E/heaven-sentinel-helmet-2-generation?optionId=112186590&li=marketplace

Puppets war hoplite helmet: https://puppetswar.eu/models-and-bits-50/all-bits/heads/hoplite-helmets.html

Puppets war sentinel helmet: https://puppetswar.eu/models-and-bits-50/all-bits/heads/hunter-helmets.html

puppets war paladin helmet: https://puppetswar.eu/models-and-bits-50/all-bits/heads/paladin-helmets.html

and finally, some top knots for those other conversions I saw people put up: https://puppetswar.eu/models-and-bits-50/fantasy/bits/topknots.html

no clue what the scale would be because these are obviously space marine helmets, but it may be able to work better than the totem.

Edited by Acid_Nine
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Acid_Nine said:

I made a post about this in the lumineth thread, looking at other head options, but it seemed largely ignored, I hope this has a better home here!

I was looking through some bits online rather than doing homework, and I found some potential bits that could be fun replacements for the cow totems:

some modification required, but a spartan helmet: https://www.shapeways.com/product/5NHR7LTSG/next-gen-spartans-helmets-x10-or-x20?optionId=149428714&li=marketplace  on second thought this is way too space mariney

a stormcast conversion helmet, but could work pretty well: https://www.shapeways.com/product/UT2YDEP4E/heaven-sentinel-helmet-2-generation?optionId=112186590&li=marketplace

Puppets war hoplite helmet: https://puppetswar.eu/models-and-bits-50/all-bits/heads/hoplite-helmets.html

Puppets war sentinel helmet: https://puppetswar.eu/models-and-bits-50/all-bits/heads/hunter-helmets.html

puppets war paladin helmet: https://puppetswar.eu/models-and-bits-50/all-bits/heads/paladin-helmets.html

and finally, some top knots for those other conversions I saw people put up: https://puppetswar.eu/models-and-bits-50/fantasy/bits/topknots.html

no clue what the scale would be because these are obviously space marine helmets, but it may be able to work better than the totem.

I saw those and kinda like the greek ones but the fact that they got no "face" under the helmet didnt hit it for me.  The tops are interesting if you decide to clip the top of the helmets!

17 hours ago, Thiagoma said:

I saw those and kinda like the greek ones but the fact that they got no "face" under the helmet didnt hit it for me.  The tops are interesting if you decide to clip the top of the helmets!

Fair enough! I just see the lack of face  is that they are in shadow, and thus you cannot really see what's underneath. I think of them all, the stormcast ones would be my favorite, just because I like that style of helmet. I hope it's the right scale, but we will see eventually I believe.

if not, then the top knots are probably the way I go if all else fails!

5 minutes ago, Acid_Nine said:

Fair enough! I just see the lack of face  is that they are in shadow, and thus you cannot really see what's underneath. I think of them all, the stormcast ones would be my favorite, just because I like that style of helmet. I hope it's the right scale, but we will see eventually I believe.

if not, then the top knots are probably the way I go if all else fails!

The top knots could certainly fit the infantry and archers if you clip the tips off. The hammer soldiers look like a simple clipping (or not gluing the bull thingy) should make for cool helmets by thenselves

• Like 1

14 hours ago, The Red King said:

Plus side of using the bull heads as the stone guard heads means you have the elven looking half of their helmet for another headswap 

I was taking a second look at those helmets. I am not sure on how they would look without the bull on top. The connection point apears to be tick. May need a green stuff tip 🤣

4 hours ago, Charleston said:

Unbenannt-2.png.46cdb10bce83f1e7a580da41b7b4b8e4.png

I had an Idea how to make LRL Hammerers awesome and above you see some proof of concept. Same size, only the position is shifted. You can even easily spot the champ with the bracers on the Horn.

Edit: Btw I could imagine that the upper Helmet and the Lower Helmet are seperate parts that are supposed to be glued together. In this case this conversion would be easier than to build the actual model

As posted by in the Rumourthread. I belive this is rather to be discussed here

• Like 1

Hi forum!

I'm fairly new here. Even though I have been reading the forum for some weeks now, I just gathered the courage to become more active, introducing myself in the "new members" section and coming to post here straight away. 

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I have reviewed both this conversation and the full Lumineth thread and have not seen this particular edit of the new aelf helmets. It is by no means an edition work of mine, but was rather created by somebody who kindly posted it in this reddit post (credit where is due).

ppoge27ebgp41.png?width=960&crop=smart&a

To my eyes, it is cleaner than the original version and keeps the aelf looks better than replacing the heads with the aurochs part.  I don't know how hard would it be to make the conversion, though...

I'd love to hear your opinions on this one! :)

Edited by Khaedhras
Wording (English is not my first language, sorry!)
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Khaedhras said:

Hi forum!

I'm fairly new here. Even though I have been reading the forum for some weeks now, I just gathered the courage to become more active, introducing myself in the "new members" section and coming to post here straight away. 

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I have reviewed both this conversation and the full Lumineth thread and have not seen this particular edit of the new aelf helmets. It is by no means an edition work of mine, but was rather created by somebody who kindly posted it in this reddit post (credit where is due).

ppoge27ebgp41.png?width=960&crop=smart&a

To my eyes, it is cleaner than the original version and keeps the aelf looks better than replacing the heads with the aurochs part.  I don't know how hard would it be to make the conversion, though...

I'd love to hear your opinions on this one! :)

I also saw tbis picture and loved it, but looking carrefully the oficial photo, it seens like the hats have no "tips" , but a rather large flat top without the bull thing. 

Hopefully i am wrong because i also loved that picture.