Chaos Sorcerers and Eye of the Gods

Eyeing Age of Sigmar's Slaves to Darkness a little, a question struck me. Why can't sorcerers feasibly roll on the Eye of the Gods table?

For one: You would think that pleasing the gods with their sorcerous powers is how they'd gain favor in the first place, right?
For two: Particularly for Tzeentch, being the Chaos god of magic and underhandedness, you would think at least its sorcerers would have access to the Eye of the Gods table in some manner other than behaving like a worshiper of Khorne.

I have a couple of suggested ruling additions to solve this:

- Add to the Eye of the Gods rule: "Sorcerers can both roll on the Eye of the Gods table as normal, and if they destroy a HERO or MONSTER with a spell."
- Add to the Call to Glory spell: "In addition, this WIZARD may choose to swindle targets that roll on the Eye of the Gods table while affected by this spell, snatching the roll for itself instead. The target was merely a puppet. This must be declared before an effect is rolled for."

There you go, two simple rules that don't add any Mark complexity and that don't really mess with the power level of the sorcerer, but just add and functionalize flavor for it. What do you guys think? Would you be fine playing against these rules?

• Like 1

Well i'd be okay with it in a narrative play because that is really fluffy and your second rule adds a lot of fun to your own army, an ally chaos army and a straight up chaos wizard duel.

Crunch-wise I could see why they avoided it because at best your wizard is flinging lethal chaos magic and a long list of Endless Spells that's stacking up those kills really fast and at worst your squishy wizard kills himself even when trying to stop becoming a spawn and quickly takes your army out of the magic game.

In short, chaos wizards are too effective for their own good. xD

But like I said, I'd be happy to use your rules otherwise because they are a neat idea.

(Side-note, great profile. Fable is fantastic and is on a long list of reasons i love AoS because it gives me Fable vibes, especially the Shadespire cards with a similar art aesthetic)

18 hours ago, JackOfBlades said:

I have a couple of suggested ruling additions to solve this:

- Add to the Eye of the Gods rule: "Sorcerers can both roll on the Eye of the Gods table as normal, and if they destroy a HERO or MONSTER with a spell."
- Add to the Call to Glory spell: "In addition, this WIZARD may choose to swindle targets that roll on the Eye of the Gods table while affected by this spell, snatching the roll for itself instead. The target was merely a puppet. This must be declared before an effect is rolled for."

There you go, two simple rules that don't add any Mark complexity and that don't really mess with the power level of the sorcerer, but just add and functionalize flavor for it. What do you guys think? Would you be fine playing against these rules?

I´ve been at this point, too, once, in a battle pre battletome, where I accidentially left my Sorcerer Killsteal with an Arcane Bolt.

The Eye of the Gods wording should then be rather changed into "Whenever a SLAVES TO DARKNESS Hero with the EYE OF THE GODS Keyword destroys an enemy HERO or MONSTER unit within the meele *or hero phase*, ...". This wording should provide less issues with people missunderstanding the rules.

The Call to Glory effect sounds quite fluffy. Yet, I belive not many people would utilise this. You usually want to upgrade your meele beatsticks with the table rolls as the effects are mostly tailored for them. Also, you don´t want to unneccessary loose your supportive/utility spellcaster, even a trade off against a Daemon Prince is not that viable when loosing access to Mask of Darkness until end of battle.

Nevertheless the idea for narrative Battles sounds nice and I wouldn´t be against my opponent playing this in a B&B match

Just now, Charleston said:

You usually want to upgrade your meele beatsticks with the table rolls as the effects are mostly tailored for them. Also, you don´t want to unneccessary loose your supportive/utility spellcaster

This especially, a lot of the chart is geared towards that and would rather be wasted on a caster.

Maybe just go a step beyond and make your own "The Whispers of Tzeentch" chart that has  conditions and effects better tailored for sorcerers?

Pre-release I was really hoping that the Eye of the Gods table would become less random and more in line with the summoning mechanics for other Chaos armies. Namely if your hero achieved certain actions they would get blessings that could be spent on the table and these would include spell casting.  I was actually hoping that the rules would follow the god specific point generation methods, so if you marked your character Khrone they would have to generate Blood Tithe points or Slaanesh Depravity points to spend on the Eye of the Gods. This would require developing a point method for undivided which would probably follow the current Eye of the God rules. To a further point I thought choosing your points on spawndom would result in the character becoming a spawn upon defeat; so there would not be a situation in which your general is randomly taken out. I think this would have been a fun and manageable approach to the Eye of the Gods but it would not have felt as in line with Chaos. 

So in the end, I am glad that my idea did not come to fruition but I still may try and develop my own ruleset for this approach to see how tenable it is.