The Lockdown/Isolation Hobby Progress unity/log!

Overread

47 minutes ago, Kramer said:

@hughwyeth & @flamingwalnut 

the way I see it you can do it very organised, like my local GW does it. Every month a theme. Start with a hero and a battleline, next month add a behemoth, etc. 
Or very free flowing, set a rough points goal for every month and let the participants decide whatever they want to add regardless of the army. 

personally I would suggest something in the middle. Keep the challenge to a single army you can actually play at the end of it. But leave what you want to add up to the contestants. 
I will reward myself some hobby budget every time I complete a month, to further motivate me. 

what are your thoughts? And how many points a month?  250, 333, 500?

This is what we've done:

Each month choose one of the following:
A group of 5+ minis (Can be a unit but does not have to be)
A Behemoth or other 60mm+ model
A 25mm-40mm character (max of one character entry per 6 month season. Though you're free to add them to any other months pledge)

Please make a post each month with a photo of the primed or single basecoated miniatures you are pledging with a sheet of paper with your name and the date clearly visible. Then before the end of the month post a picture of the completed miniatures.

Edited by Eldarain
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Kramer said:

@hughwyeth & @flamingwalnut 

the way I see it you can do it very organised, like my local GW does it. Every month a theme. Start with a hero and a battleline, next month add a behemoth, etc. 
Or very free flowing, set a rough points goal for every month and let the participants decide whatever they want to add regardless of the army. 

personally I would suggest something in the middle. Keep the challenge to a single army you can actually play at the end of it. But leave what you want to add up to the contestants. 
I will reward myself some hobby budget every time I complete a month, to further motivate me. 

what are your thoughts? And how many points a month?  250, 333, 500?

I actually tried to get one together this year! Got 6 people together, each month and a half (to give people a BIT more time, hectic schedules and such) was a jump in points. Started with 500 and I believe we went up 500 points a pieces. At the end of each section, we were going to get together for some games to celebrate our progress.

We got the first 500 points settled. Half of us got together for the first batch of games. And then it all kinda fell apart after that. lol One person was a super dedicated painter and hammered hard and fast. I got a solid start, but everyone else just didn't have the same heart I had in it. Similar to the narrative campaigns I do, some are excited, but not everyone and few as much as I had wanted. lol 

But yeah, the concept is perfect and works. I prefer to keep it thematic and building up to playable forces but allowing people to do what they want with just point restrictions. Encouraging people to do certain milestones, like mages and behemoths, but not all armies have these, so whatever people want to do. It definitely feels better in person, but that is obviously super hard right now. 

A digital Tale of X Gamers sounds awesome! Not quite sure what I could do right now, in the middle of my Cities project. I certainly have plenty of IDEA fodder there to "start over" but not sure how I want to go about that. I have been really itching for a new project, but still SUPER uncertain on what that might be and, well, a bit limited on what I can pull together. But I'll keep an ear out for this, if a big event actually happens. 

• Like 1

I’m still grinding away at my dark elves, and just about have my first 500pts completed:

1 Kharybdis 

10 Darkshards

2 Celestial Ballistae

1 Sorceress

That’s 560 I think. I still need to build and paint the crew for the ballista. Not sure why, but I’m really struggling with motivation for them.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Eldarain said:

This is what we've done:

Each month choose one of the following:
A group of 5+ minis (Can be a unit but does not have to be)
A Behemoth or other 60mm+ model
A 25mm-40mm character (max of one character entry per 6 month season. Though you're free to add them to any other months pledge)

Please make a post each month with a photo of the primed or single basecoated miniatures you are pledging with a sheet of paper with your name and the date clearly visible. Then before the end of the month post a picture of the completed miniatures.

This sounds like an excellent idea and I'd certainly be interested.  As a teacher, school got cancelled for the rest of spring and summer break is starting soon so I have another 3 months free before work starts again.

I have plenty of projects started but I'm bad about finishing them and this sounds like fun!

So @Kramer, @flamingwalnut, @Kamose, @Maxi99 want to join this Tale of X Warlords? I suggest 1st June start and we have our own thread?

Anyone else is welcome to join- I guess it's a way for us to spam our progress pics for feedback without cloggin up this main thread. I'd still plan to post to this thread with my other 43 painting projects. We can have some general goals to help motivation. Anyone else interested or have feedback?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, hughwyeth said:

So @Kramer, @flamingwalnut, @Kamose, @Maxi99 want to join this Tale of X Warlords? I suggest 1st June start and we have our own thread?

Anyone else is welcome to join- I guess it's a way for us to spam our progress pics for feedback without cloggin up this main thread. I'd still plan to post to this thread with my other 43 painting projects. We can have some general goals to help motivation. Anyone else interested or have feedback?

I would love to join in on this, I have a few WIP things I would share.

Well, the good (?) news is that we're on reduced hours starting this week, so I get an extra day off while the wife is working .  So I should be able to squeeze some hobby time in.

If I didn't already have 10 unpainted armies I'd be hurting to afford to buy anything, but as it is I can manage replacement paints and brushes for a long time.

Edited by amysrevenge
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, amysrevenge said:

Well, the good (?) news is that we're on reduced hours starting this week, so I get an extra day off while the wife is working .  So I should be able to squeeze some hobby time in.

If I didn't already have 10 unpainted armies I'd be hurting to afford to buy anything, but as it is I can manage replacement paints and brushes for a long time.

So only 10 more pandemics to go for you to catch up ? ;) 

• Haha 1

Since the government stay at home order has been lifted where I live, COVID is locally spreading at the highest rate so far. My employer is keeping our staff at work from home, so I am still in pandemic quarantine despite no official quarantine.

I picked up Mollog's Mob as a fun project when the stores reopened. I havent done any other Gloomspite, but I've always wanted to paint this model. I think he turned out great and I had so much fun I ordered another Troggoth.

20200525_134208.jpg

20200525_134232.jpg

20200523_131807.jpg

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

Having finished a bit painting project, I've switched back to building, and after a successful weekend now have a barbarian horde sat on my table and awaiting some paint.

The most daunting stage of any paint project!

2 minutes ago, hughwyeth said:

The most daunting stage of any paint project!

Yeah, fortunately my FLGS was able to deliver me some spray paint, so I should be able to get everything primed on saturday, and will see where I got from there. I already have a merc company of a Darkoath warqueen and some marauders painted up, so I'll use them a basis. This expansion is mainly warcry figures, who look amazing in isolation, but are going to be so fiddly to paint!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

Yeah, fortunately my FLGS was able to deliver me some spray paint, so I should be able to get everything primed on saturday, and will see where I got from there. I already have a merc company of a Darkoath warqueen and some marauders painted up, so I'll use them a basis. This expansion is mainly warcry figures, who look amazing in isolation, but are going to be so fiddly to paint!

True- they're lovely models but playing them in S2D means you will usually have a lot!

• Like 1

Decided to take my previous “shop class” comment a bit more literal.  Designed and built a frame to comfortably go around one of my gaming tables.  Objective is to attach multiple webcams (e.g. top down, “players view”, dice tray view, etc.) in order to be able to play games with friends still in lockdown.  Will update after beta test...

53E9E78B-A939-4F29-B056-53F535A77FBF.jpeg.ead8d6a69e08a165ca93df0849bbeab7.jpeg

• Like 5