The Lockdown/Isolation Hobby Progress unity/log!

Overread

So all around the world geeks are taking to their fortresses, bunkers, basements, attics, hobbyrooms and fighting out for a corner of the lounge from the rest of the family - all in a bid to escape the madness of the world at present. On a mighty quest now that our supplier has closed down - all seeking to battle that most massive of foes - the pile of shame!

Be it building, painting, converting or everything - we've mostly all got a pile that we have been building over the weeks/months/years and now its high time to fight back and start winning the war! 

So come one come all and lets encourage and share progress over what could be some very long weeks. 

Day - I lost count past day 1 

My own progress has been slow at first, though I've taken the first tentative steps and cleared half the work desk of plastic. I'm hoping to make some inroads into completing my Ossiarchs - the first port of call being cleaning over 100 hussar demon wings. Even though I've only got 10 Deathriders right now, I might as well wash them all down at the same time. 

Note this thread is not made to make light of a serious situation, but to provide some unity and relief in the gloom. Stay safe, stay isolated and to any infected I wish you full recovery! 

• Like 5

A great idea this!!! 👍

strangely enough I seem to be hobby magpie-ing around as much as before the quarantine... 

I've got aelve pirates on the housing cities of sigmar as the base. They’re a kit bashing of dark eldar, dark elves, and various other aelve related kits. 
but then I needed a foe for them and so I’ve got a load of kroot waiting to be kitbashed with lizardmen parts and some Sylvaneth I’m converting to try and look like coral beings woken by the territorial intrusion of the aelve pirates.

Oh and a nighthaunt force I got at Christmas which has taken up residency at the back of the desk now my imagination has been captured by other ideas... 😳

• Like 1

I've stared making terrain. Just a few houses to start. Dwarven one close to finished, then a human one, and an elven one.

Just a bit of background to frame my army.

After that, I'll go for a skyport.

Terrain building destresses me more than unit building, it seems. There are no rules to adhere to, just get the scale sort of right and move along.

• Like 1

I have a small "pile of shame" that has been sitting on my desk.  Sadly for me though, this pile is now in range of my toddler... so the pile has to go.

Yesterday, I assembled the Blood Warriors and Blood Reavers from the Khorne Mortal's start collecting (I had already assembled the other models prior).  Then, I assembled 10 skeletons that I picked up years ago (2 of the 5 skeleton packs from who knows when), originally to play with for D&D but hey, maybe I'll get more skele-bro's later.

Still sitting on my desk are:

10 Arkanaughts, which I bought for my next planned army ~6 months ago.
2 Dracothian Guard, which have been sitting in the box on my desk for a year, year and a half.
1 Ironclad, which I picked up last week
1 KO start collecting, which I've been sitting on for 9 months
1 Sylvaneth start collecting, which I've been sitting on for over a year (and the only one I'm considering keeping in the box for a little bit longer)
1 High Elf Lord on Dragon (dreadlord on black dragon), which I bought to make my Ordo Draconis list a little under a year ago (and then failed to buy enough Dragon Blades to finish the army before it went out of production...)
1 Sorceress on Dragon (alternatively, dreadlord on dragon) which was bought at the same time as the lord on dragon, and was originally going to be a kitbash for a Dragonlord
1 Aether Wars box

If I can keep up the work I did previously, I think I can finish assembling (or at least getting sub-assemblies for) everything by next week.  Then comes the hard part... painting them.

Aside from the new models, I have 40 chaos warriors sketched, but needing finishing paint and basing.  Then another 9 Chaos Knights that need finishing paint, and 15 that need basing (including those 9).  I also need to finish painting/basing my Manticore, my Warshrine, 2 Chariots, 1 Daemon Prince, and the models from the Khorne Start Collecting.  Then, moving past my Chaos army, I still have to finish painting/basing 3 Ballista's, a Lord-Ordinator, a Knight-Heraldor, 2 Fulminators, 30 Phoenix Guard, 1 Annointed, 1 Frostheart Phoenix, 30 "shadow Warriors" (converted glade guard and waywatchers), a Nomad Prince, 16 Handgunners, and 16 freeguild spearmen.

Yeah... assembling models is SOOO much easier and faster than painting them.

I took a comission (i'm a new painter) for a friend (he don't like to paint that much) to paint his nighthaunt army before the lockdown. He instructed me not to paint them ethereally - So they're skeletons in big sheets and some of them are on fire.

It was fun at first, but i cornered myself with some models who gives me problem like Harridans, so I got painting anxiety now. I'll try to finish this week end but never ever i will take a commission again.

Edited by Sance
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

Dwarven home finished for now.

Human inn next, then elven building. Maybe I'll open the building up later to make it a smithy, though it's really not made for that.

Learned a lot, and already changed a few things in the next one.

IMG-20200327-WA0000.jpeg

Loving that house!!! It would be great to build a small settlement up of different building like stalls, smithy, pub, fences, etc but unfortunately my space is limited so terrain is always the last thing to consider as I barely have the room for models... 😔

I shall have to live my terrain dream through your work!!!

3 hours ago, Sance said:

I took a comission (i'm a new painter) for a friend (he don't like to paint that much) to paint his nighthaunt army before the lockdown. He instructed me not to paint them ethereally - So they're skeletons in big sheets and some of them are on fire.

It was fun at first, but i cornered myself with some models who gives me problem like Harridans, so I got painting anxiety now. I'll try to finish this week end but never ever i will take a commission again.

What particular are they giving you?.. is it having to stick to someone else’s guide? I’m not an expert painter myself but we’re all here to help one another!! 😄

I have been working on an Ironjawz Start Collecting! Box since February 14th and I am almost finished. I subbed in a megaboss for the Warchanter in my painting order, but I got all 10 Ardboyz done and 3 Gore-Gruntas. 

Then I gotta do it again :P

I am so close to reaching my goal of being finished by end of March and my Megaboss just needs to be layered and edge highlighted. 

• Like 2

Greet idea on the thread! Making the best of a bad time. 
I have had great success on my Stormcast abomination and even struggled through building some loony Looncurse bounders and boss. 
I have a halfassed  blog that I dont really know how to use properly but at least a progression is showing. Kitting out (or at least planning) the rest of the hobby room. 
wife usually cringes when I head downstairs to paint but now she’s smiling cause she can get rid of me for a hour or so at a time without endangering everyone. 😸
I take my trusty laser eyed cat to help with welding issues when it’s warranted. Plus the other 2 non helpers. Here they are wondering when the table is coming. 

img_0559.jpg

Edited by Artobans Ghost
  • Like 3

it's been a terrible, terrible failure.

start of last week I thought ok I'm in this for the long haul let's try and keep work coming in & out and leave the toy soldiers for later

end of last week as I realised I had next to no work coming in anymore I decided to write a list of all the hobby stuff I wanted to do, paint models, write some stories, read all the new RPGs I've amassed recently, and work on my own one.

this week I then spent the first half staring at that list, then at the wall, the laptop, the wall, the contents of the fridge, the wall, the laptop, just unable to do anything

then on Wednesday I decided to pile up all the boxes of UNBUILT models I've got here, it ended up being about my height, that didn't exactly inspire me or 'spark joy' so I went back to staring at the wall

now I've taken time out from staring at the wall to type this

I'm going to try and force myself to paint something later, see if I can get something done and dusted over the weekend but if I'm honest I'll probably just go back to staring at the fridge trying to decide if it's too early to start drinking wine

@JPjr you don't climb everest by staring at the top - all you need to see is the next place to put your hand or foot. One step at a time. 

Get rid of the pile of shame as tall as you, its not motivating you. Instead put them all out of sight to one side. Get out ONE box and just one box to work on for now. 
Clear the work table and put all your tools in their proper place. You just need that one box of models before you - open it up and get the sprue out on the table - that's all you need to work with. 

And if that fails put down the fridge and the wine and grab a PC game or a book or the latest episode of Picard on Amazon or something else. Drink and walls is not the solution and sure you've got time but that doesn't mean it "has" to be warhammer time.

Heck do some pressups or squats or something; burn off a bit of your frustration with some exercise. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JPjr said:

...on Wednesday I decided to pile up all the boxes of UNBUILT models I've got here, it ended up being about my height, that didn't exactly inspire me or 'spark joy' so I went back to staring at the wall

Lists, mountains of grey plastic. No wonder, you cant motivate yourself. Take one box, one model (random, close your eyes if necessary). Build it, paint it, see if this could be the start of your next project. 😁

59 minutes ago, JPjr said:

it's been a terrible, terrible failure.

start of last week I thought ok I'm in this for the long haul let's try and keep work coming in & out and leave the toy soldiers for later

end of last week as I realised I had next to no work coming in anymore I decided to write a list of all the hobby stuff I wanted to do, paint models, write some stories, read all the new RPGs I've amassed recently, and work on my own one.

this week I then spent the first half staring at that list, then at the wall, the laptop, the wall, the contents of the fridge, the wall, the laptop, just unable to do anything

then on Wednesday I decided to pile up all the boxes of UNBUILT models I've got here, it ended up being about my height, that didn't exactly inspire me or 'spark joy' so I went back to staring at the wall

now I've taken time out from staring at the wall to type this

I'm going to try and force myself to paint something later, see if I can get something done and dusted over the weekend but if I'm honest I'll probably just go back to staring at the fridge trying to decide if it's too early to start drinking wine

I too have been struggling to do stuff.  Being cooped up with a toddler means that I can't do any hobbying during the day, and I am somehow supposed to continue doing a full time job while looking after him, which means that the only hobby time I have is in the evenings after he goes to bed.  And then sometimes I have to dedicate that time to getting some more work in so I can hit my hour requirements.

I have a ton of unpainted mini's, and the thought of having to pull all my painting stuff out, prepping my desk, getting a mini and painting it for a little bit, then having to put that all away is... overwhelming.

What I can say is that if you don't want to do it, don't do it.  But if all you are doing is sitting, staring at the wall and feeling overwhelmed, then choose something off your list (if you have trouble choosing, throw a dart at it, or make a list and use a random number generator to choose it) and then just do that one thing.  Ignore everything else that is sitting there, and do just that 1 thing.  Once that one thing is done, cross it off your list.  Take a moment of satisfaction in doing so.  Then choose a second thing from that list.  Don't ever look at the size of the list, or anything else that is making you feel overwhelmed.  Just do 1 thing at a time and cross it off.  Then, after you have accomplished a number of things from your list, take a brief look, and let yourself feel some accomplishment.  And then just keep repeating.

It will still feel overwhelming for a while.  But give it a week or so of crossing things off your list and it will feel like you are making progress, and you will feel less stressed and overwhelmed.  This trick works.  It got me through engineering school.  It gets me through big work projects.  It gets me through moving houses.

So give it a try, and stick with it for a bit.  An hour or a day isn't going to be enough to feel the results, so just keep at it and you will start to see some results.  And if you find something else works for you while trying it, go for that instead.  But just get out of that slump of doing nothing, and then do whatever you need to keep going.

• Thanks 1

The hardest part for me has been getting *started* painting, but once I do I find myself in a groove and it's smooth sailing. 

The way I did my Start Collecting box was I built 5 Ardboyz. I painted 5 Ardboyz. 

I then some-what built 1 Gore-Grunta. I sub assemble painted it and put it together. I then did the next Gore-Grunta. Then the next.

Then I did 5 more Ardboyz.

Now I'm doing a Megaboss on Foot.

After that it's 5 more Ardboyz.

Then a Warchanter is planned after that. etc..

I hate painting rank n file normal infantry, but I "reward" myself with bigger cool models and heroes, the individuals I really enjoy painting and putting a lot of time and detail into.  Before long I'll have all my Infantry done for my Ironjawz interspersed with having done all the heroes too. 

• Like 1

My depression has been keeping me away from painting. It is a condition i had before the quarentine and makes me really sleepy.

(to make it clear, other than that i am fine)

My current goal is to start small with a 5 unit of mounts of Saurus knights (i am still not sure about weapon builds and stuff from the new BT so the mounts are a safe thing to do without further research).

Edited by Thiagoma
  • Like 3

I will not be able to attack my pile of shame as I am stuck at my girlfriend’s place in the countryside!

I was able to get some models of off ebay at the start of the confinement. I went for some cheap pokwalkers. I only have artist’s acrylics so this won’t be fine painting but it will let me experiment.

I don’t have a lot of time for hobby since I am doing a lot of comics these days! But I have already started bulding a bit of terrain from trash. The goal is to make a small set of terrain and two warbands of mutants, and coerce my girl into a campaign of skirmishes on a run-down quarantine planet...

we’ll see what comes of it!

867D088F-BFF7-4151-A9B8-1F0BA6E24E5E.jpeg

8005F0C1-C677-460C-A0B3-F15F76018485.jpeg

A006E72A-4571-40A6-8DD8-F94A15072151.jpeg

• Like 1

I am venturing into madness.  I'm clipping and filing the shield pegs (and slottas) off of 50 metal Dwarf Hammerers.

And I'm making press-mold bases for them all with oven-bake Sculpey on MDF bases (so the base can go right in the oven with the clay, which you can't do with plastic bases let me tell you I learned the hard way).

And then I'm putting together a TERRIBLE Cities of Sigmar army in 100% metal.  40 Ironbreakers, 50 Hammerers, 20 "Handgunners" (proxies from Long Drong Slayer Pirates), and about a dozen metal "Warden Kings" (various Bugmans, White Dwarfs, 3rd party Dwarf Lords, and GW ones) and Runelords.

ETA:  43 Hammerers down, 7 to go.  And are my hands ever sore hahaha

Edited by amysrevenge
  • Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

The quarantine has been painting nirvana for me. I have had an extra hour or two a day to sink into the hobby and it has paid off.  Splitting time between AOS and 40K projects, I have finished 20 Ork boys and and almost 20 clan rats (what can I say I have been in horde mode). Have also cranked out a couple super heroes for Marvel Crisis Protocol as palate cleansers (Modok and Red Skull).     

• Like 1

I used a random number generator and a spreadsheet to choose what to paint. On the first day I did my Forlong miniature from the Lord of the Rings, on the second my gravesite markers for Legions of Nagash. Then the RNG chose my 80 Flagellants and that's been my life between my 1 year old and my job for the last 12 days. One day, and hopefully soon, I'll be removing hordes of beautifully-painted zealots from the board as they get wiped out immediately.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, JPjr said:

Super recognisable. My clients all cancelled. Have to look after the little one. Which is awesome but let’s be honest, at 15 months old it’s also so hands on that you can’t spend 20 minutes on any one thing. 
But for me the big thing is getting a goal. Getting purpose.
thursday Helped out a painter with his tutorial, boom! found some purpose. On the back of that momentum wrote a narrative skirmish campaign to tempt my girlfriend into gaming with me. 
needed some heroes for her to play and a set of dungeon walls. 
Monday to Wednesday I spend like you described. Thursday I aced some video work between my social distancing. Today I build 30 wall pieces, did a first coat on 10 of them and painted two heroïne stormcast models. 
all because it now had some purpose. Hope that it might help you too. 

Nice idea!

I'll be back with my contribution, but while I'm working on that, a suggestion:

I think it would be neat if we each had one single post in the thread where we make our updates. Just keep editing your own post. That might help present all our stuff more cohesively and make viewing all the neat things easier. Just a thought.

Update 01

Attached photos of our Area of Challenge (no shame for us!). Just the basement/hobby room area. There are others in other rooms of the house.

Also, a photo of a Flesh Eater group for Warcry that I have done while in isolation.

Our plan is to work on our main armies (Gitz and Bonereapers) and then tackle bunches of scenery.

20200327_204254.jpg

20200327_204203.jpg

20200327_204133.jpg

20200327_203955.jpg

20200327_203924.jpg

20200327_203916.jpg

20200327_203902.jpg

20200327_203855.jpg

20200327_203848.jpg

20200327_203834.jpg

Edited by Sleboda
  • Like 5

I don't hobby, I pay others to hobby for me.  Right now I had some items out for painting but they are going to be held back because the guy doing it for me lost his job due to this coronavirus so he's doing other things and doesn't have time for my stuff which is understandable.

Fortunately for me I don't have to work, so I have been inside mostly playing video games and watching movies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StapMyVitals said:

I used a random number generator and a spreadsheet to choose what to paint. On the first day I did my Forlong miniature from the Lord of the Rings, on the second my gravesite markers for Legions of Nagash. Then the RNG chose my 80 Flagellants and that's been my life between my 1 year old and my job for the last 12 days. One day, and hopefully soon, I'll be removing hordes of beautifully-painted zealots from the board as they get wiped out immediately.

There can never be enough flagellants. Never. From what I understand, they are not much better than canon fodder but I have 60 in my Cities army. 
60 is not enough forms but props on getting 80 of them done. Please post you mob when your done. 

Edited by Artobans Ghost
  • Like 1

I've been using the extra time to steadily work on my backlog. By my count, I have about 100 unpainted Games Workshop models and over 120 unpainted CMON models (Cthulhu Death May Die, Rising Sun). Luckily, I stocked up on paint so I should be able to go for a few weeks of painting. 

So far, I've completed quite a bit of terrain from the Warcry set. I'm working on the Spire Tyrants now.

20200327_181912.jpg

20200327_181943.jpg

20200327_181927.jpg

20200326_093705.jpg

Edited by LoopyZebra
  • Like 7
  • LOVE IT! 1