Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Naraq

Starting Tzeentch after the Update?

Hello everyone, with all the stuff going on right now, I thought it would be a great time to try out this hobby. So I got myself some Gitz and started painting, but I am not sure if I like the small models and thus started rethinking my choice. This resulted in me ordering the Start collecting! box of the Tzeentch Demons, since I really like the slightly lovecraftian flair of this god. I did inform myself beforehand about how the army plays, and actually really liked the pink horror mechanic - that is, until I learned that they not only changed it recently, but also that the new mechanic seems to be quite toxic and unfun to play against! Now I am not sure if I shouldnt re-think my choice again, because I dont want to be unfun to play against honestly :D

What are your thoughts? Might this issue be resolved soon with some balancing changes? Are there other ways to play the demons still? (Not sure if I want to focus on Tzaangor or human parts of the army). Is it even that bad? 

Thank you, take care and stay healthy!

• Like 1

The interwebz has massively hyped up the Pink Horrors. They are very strong and can be problematic when combo'd with model recursion abilities but A tier hammer units will generally go right through them and then you'll learn just how durable every other Tzeentch demon unit is... It will depend on your local meta of course but if you find them to be overwhelming your opponents you can just not take emerald life swarm and fold reality or even just take blues instead (using flamers or screamers for battleline with their associated coven or just running acolytes).  

• Like 1

Thank you! So you'd say I could play Tzeentch and even play the horrors even without being "toxic"? I dont think I will be overwhelming anyone, since I really have no idea so far (Just wanted to paint really, and the combat seems like great fun, too). 

honestly whether it's Tzeentch, Bonereapers or whatever, whenever there's a big hoohah about something being toxic and super overpowered it's nearly always one specific sub-faction, using one specific very maxed out build, played in one very specific way.

it's just that people mistake the tiny tiny % of people going all out to win at tournaments as indicative of the wider game and take the very specific armies they play with as representative of a faction as a whole and the only way to play them. which is reductive nonsense.

Tzeentch is cool, the models are super fun, bright and crazy and if you're not going all out to just smash your opponents (and it sounds like you're not) and you're not a ****** (and the fact you're aware this could be a problem suggests you're not) then it should be no problem.

Build the army you want, mess around with different sub-factions, collect, build, paint and play all the cool units you want and have fun. play the game that way, be a decent person across the table to your opponent and I'm sure you'll be fine.

And the thing is you can always power up that army and play the more competitive builds and sub-factions when you want but you just don't have to.

For instance I'm building the Ossiarch models I have as the Crematorium faction, obviously power-players would look oddly at me, but come on, Skeletons that are burning on the inside and explode when they die, how ridiculously dumbly cool is that...

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

Always be a nice guy to play against unless you can play Tzeentch. Then always play Tzeentch (****** being civil and fun to play with).

If Tzeentch one day is weak in the meta (back in 40k Tzeentch used to be the worst choice by far for a LOOOONG time), you still always play Tzeentch. Cause it's Tzeentch.

That said, if you mix and match units and don't run one or two particular builds, all is fine usually. Or take a pretty bad unit like Chaos Warriors cause at least they look sexy. It's true that we have a few viable tools at the moment but take a bad unit or two and your list won't be unfair anymore.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Well first off welcome to the hobby and the Mortal Realms.  :D

Secondly my advice is just play by rule of cool that's the spirit of Age of Sigmar.  Just collect and use what you love the look of and tinker from there. Love the Aether War set and the idea of Tzeentch flying castles looming in the Chamon realm above seas of alchemy so you theme it with Chamon rules, Silver Swords living spell and all flyers? Go for it. Love the Silver Tower with it's Pan's labyrinth vibe and want the sorcerer and Ogroid to lead your Tzeentch forces while using a mix of ruins scenery and palisade endless spells to make your own labyrinths on any battlefield? Right on!

With the variety the Grand Alliances, sub-factions, allies, realm rules and Endless Spells offer you're never in a corner with your army build which you can just keep tinkering with until it's got the right flow for your playstyle be it crunch focus or just having fun. :)

Just keep playing around with your choices and asking advice from fellow hobbyists and you'll find Tzeentch blessing your lists with the right amount of change.

Edited by Baron Klatz