Some questions on ogres

Izikail

Hi there, i have some questions on the hungry boys if you guys would oblige, been out of aos a while and never dabbled in the ogres. The questions are all done with a view of a beastclaw army rather than gluttons.

1. I like the idea of yetees, i see there 6" pile in as so strong as its basicly strike first +1 and beats so many big threats, with that in mind, are they viable? If so, in some numbers or a splash unit? Also, can they end a charge within 6" and still fight or is the charge a failed one if not within 3"

2. On the topic of yetees, im looking to do a bit of a diferant take than the resin ones. Instead of frost sabres im looking to use savage orruk boars and just green stuff there back. With that in mind, im thinking i may use gruntaz for my yetees, i know ill need to extensively mod and greenstuff the orruk of the back, but does that sound ok as an idea?

3. As i say new to ogres and not aos'ed in over a year, are there any core list building rules to follow when beastclawing? Must have x butchers, min 1 unit of gnoblars, dont take x as its just worse than y?

4. I realy like the idea of the 3rd beastclaw subfraction (the yetee and cat one) for its comand ability it says target a hero, sabers and yetee and they can all attack first. Do i need all three in range to trigger this?

5. The thundertusk priest seems usefull (especialy in the yetee build with easy replacments) but he is also nearly as much as a stonehorn forstlord, is he a waste of points?

Thanks for any responses

21 minutes ago, Izikail said:

Hi there, i have some questions on the hungry boys if you guys would oblige, been out of aos a while and never dabbled in the ogres. The questions are all done with a view of a beastclaw army rather than gluttons.

1. I like the idea of yetees, i see there 6" pile in as so strong as its basicly strike first +1 and beats so many big threats, with that in mind, are they viable? If so, in some numbers or a splash unit? Also, can they end a charge within 6" and still fight or is the charge a failed one if not within 3"

2. On the topic of yetees, im looking to do a bit of a diferant take than the resin ones. Instead of frost sabres im looking to use savage orruk boars and just green stuff there back. With that in mind, im thinking i may use gruntaz for my yetees, i know ill need to extensively mod and greenstuff the orruk of the back, but does that sound ok as an idea?

3. As i say new to ogres and not aos'ed in over a year, are there any core list building rules to follow when beastclawing? Must have x butchers, min 1 unit of gnoblars, dont take x as its just worse than y?

4. I realy like the idea of the 3rd beastclaw subfraction (the yetee and cat one) for its comand ability it says target a hero, sabers and yetee and they can all attack first. Do i need all three in range to trigger this?

5. The thundertusk priest seems usefull (especialy in the yetee build with easy replacments) but he is also nearly as much as a stonehorn forstlord, is he a waste of points?

Thanks for any responses

1. Its a failed charge if you don’t end within 0,5 inch. Check the core rules on charging for clarification. 
but yes the ability is very good. Don’t see many people using them though. 2 big reasons are. People don’t seem to like the models. And they don’t do that much damage. Which is tough in such an point hungry army. 

2. if done right, absolutely. But my first question would be: how will you deal with the bae size difference between yhetees and gore gruntas?

3. Just the regular. You need battleline (amount dependent on game size) and 1+ leaders. The book is your best friend as it tells you what is battleline. 

4. no

5. imo, but I haven’t played him. Yes he is too expensive, and too unreliable in his prayers. So you get an support hero which only supports half the time, on a mount which has not as much impact compared to the stonehorn. But thats my opinion based on the rules not on experience. 

So.

1. Ok, but i can walk and run using the various move buffs and finish in six and fight?

2. Having looked at the models, i think the gruntaz will fit on the base so ill just swap them over. There may be a touch of overhang, but this is in a faction with the thundertusk, so its not like overhang is a new concept to them.

3. I was thinking more in terms of to make a viable list not a legal list, like a list with out x is legal but realy hard to win with.

4. Thank you

5.thank you for your opinion, i felt this may be the case

I don't have any experiences with Yhetis, so there i could give no adivce. 

But about the Frostlord and Huskard "problem" i have some tipps. I have played both of them and i recommend the Frostlord on Stonehorn, because he's an absolutly Beast in combat. And not even with the Prayer can the Huskard on Thundertusk hold on to the damage output. And also the Frostlord have a 3+ save and a 5+ aftersave, so  he will survive much longer then the Husakrd. And i think for this little point difference there is no reason to pick the Huskard. 
But i have to say, that because i don't have some yhettis, maybe there is some synergie with batalions, abilitys etc. where it might be helpfull to have the Thundertusk Huskard. 

But if you're interessted in a Beastclaw heavy list, then i recommend the Frostlord on Stonehorn. he has so much potential.  And he is by far the most effective Model in the hole range of the army. 

I think if you want to build your army towards the Winterbite theme, go for it. You do so with the understanding that it won't be as "optimised" for competitive play, but that doesn't mean you won't have a bunch of fun playing it.

The main issues I see with that style of list would be:

Thundertusks are awful compared to Stonehorns. Worse, the battalion designed for them (Torrbad) sucks hard due to requiring 3+ Beastriders. The only Thundertusks you'll want in your list are Huskards, and you'll probably want three of those (or at least two) to buff each other's prayer rolls. A 1+ (automatic) to bring back a Yhetee, 2+ to give a unit +1 to wound, and 2+ to heal D3 wounds... it's still not amazing, but it's at least some synergy.

The Yhetees unfortunately aren't Ogors, so they're bad at holding objectives, don't get Trampling Charge, aren't Ravenous Brutes, etc. Their attack stats are also well below par, so you've really got to leverage that 6" pile-in for maximum value as it's the only thing special about them. They seem like a real finesse option - it will take you a fair few games to figure out how to make them effective. Sad to say you'd probably have a much easier time taking Gluttons... but once you go down the path of taking the better options you'll just end up at the standard Bloodgullet, Underguts or Boulderhead lists, so stick to the plan!

Icebrow Hunters and Frost Sabres are pulling a lot of weight - they're your mobility element (for attacking the enemy backline, or forcing them to hold stuff back to prevent this) but they're also your objective grabbers, and might have to pull some duty as screens for your Thundertusks.

Maybe something like this, as a starting point?

Huskard on Thundertusk (340)
Icebrow Hunter (120)
3 x Icefall Yhetees (110)
12 x Frost Sabres (240)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
Skal (100)

Best of luck!

2 hours ago, Kadeton said:

I think if you want to build your army towards the Winterbite theme, go for it. You do so with the understanding that it won't be as "optimised" for competitive play, but that doesn't mean you won't have a bunch of fun playing it.

The main issues I see with that style of list would be:

Thundertusks are awful compared to Stonehorns. Worse, the battalion designed for them (Torrbad) sucks hard due to requiring 3+ Beastriders. The only Thundertusks you'll want in your list are Huskards, and you'll probably want three of those (or at least two) to buff each other's prayer rolls. A 1+ (automatic) to bring back a Yhetee, 2+ to give a unit +1 to wound, and 2+ to heal D3 wounds... it's still not amazing, but it's at least some synergy.

The Yhetees unfortunately aren't Ogors, so they're bad at holding objectives, don't get Trampling Charge, aren't Ravenous Brutes, etc. Their attack stats are also well below par, so you've really got to leverage that 6" pile-in for maximum value as it's the only thing special about them. They seem like a real finesse option - it will take you a fair few games to figure out how to make them effective. Sad to say you'd probably have a much easier time taking Gluttons... but once you go down the path of taking the better options you'll just end up at the standard Bloodgullet, Underguts or Boulderhead lists, so stick to the plan!

Icebrow Hunters and Frost Sabres are pulling a lot of weight - they're your mobility element (for attacking the enemy backline, or forcing them to hold stuff back to prevent this) but they're also your objective grabbers, and might have to pull some duty as screens for your Thundertusks.

Maybe something like this, as a starting point?

Icebrow Hunter (120)
12 x Frost Sabres (240)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
Skal (100)

Best of luck!

Thanks dude, i appreciate your gusto. I do like and respect stonehorns, i just didnt want to be that guy. Ill take your list on board and see where i go

• Like 1