Whats the 'Worst' Warscroll and why?

Ben

6 hours ago, Charleston said:

I noticed today that if I was about to change a single rule, it would be Realm Magic Lore. Instead of giving access to all wizzards to the spells of the lore the battle takes place in, I would give this Lore to any Army that is from the selected Realm and allow any wizzard to pick an additional spell from this lore. Really, this bugs me more than any single bad warscroll around.

Everyone would just pick Aqshy all the time forever

• Thanks 1

I know its a compendium but it was updated  but being updated in 2017 I'll still count it (and have used it).  The Noble standard champion at 80pts while weaker then similar units and heroes  I feel that's just to push you towards buying newer models not that bad; main thing though it's synergy ability is a weaker version of the order battle trait with a more limited range and with a keyword only a few units have.

Liberators as mentioned before. How can 8 foot warrios of the god king be so bad. They hit bad which i get cause they should be a defensive unit but they die to everything with a sneeze.

and scrablauncher... cool model.. mayb amazing model but boi it does nothing

I think it's not a problem with the "weak" warscrolls, but more with the rules shift during 2.0. 

AoS is a game of combinations and Liberators, for example, works quite okay as an ambos if you combine them with a Castellan (+1 safe through the warding lantern). Also Liberators have the "Lay low the tyrant"-Rule, which let them hit monsters better.

The current problems the game rules have are (beside other little things): Mortal Wounds and the massive lack of Rent. I don't get why the "Rent"-Ability is so neglected. You could push Units without a problem with this ability and still have the same mortality in the game (which seems to be the only way for the game designers to make the game faster). But what we have galore is x Mortals wounds, be it for spells or other things. It is boring as hell and causes some of the warscrolls to a point, where nobody will use them or see them as “weak”. It’s easier to pick the clearly strong units as to make a combination.

This and some of other issues forced my group to quit the game entirely, which is a shame in the end of the day.

Cheers and stay healthy!

• Like 1

If it was so easy ... 🙂

We changed a lot more, like line of sight, terrain rules/interaction and Rent/Mortal wounds ratio (we stopped at the spells - to much work) - but in the end it was to much work for everyone to adjust the rules to something we like to play. So the group splitt and now I'm enjoying the painting part of this hobby (and sometimes reading the background).  🙂

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, TheCovenLord said:

Do you have a link to the lists? I would absolutely love to up my game, especially if I can add in a nice looking model for better reasons. 

One example I remember:

https://heraldsofwar.com/documents/call-to-glory-2020-order-lists.pdf?fbclid=IwAR1Mn2ijGjiy3SRQnsEVQZyUeCfAt9-8Q4mj2k9mjMctxABtRCvQ_AmX98Q

Tim Neal's list, 8th place at Cancon. Not that bad for a list comprised mostly of seemingly weak units ; ) I've seen dragon sorceress used in Hallowheart lists for channeling too, from time to time, but I'm not sure if it had any big successes.

And yet, i don't think aynone has ever made the griffon mage work.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dekay said:

One example I remember:

https://heraldsofwar.com/documents/call-to-glory-2020-order-lists.pdf?fbclid=IwAR1Mn2ijGjiy3SRQnsEVQZyUeCfAt9-8Q4mj2k9mjMctxABtRCvQ_AmX98Q

Tim Neal's list, 8th place at Cancon. Not that bad for a list comprised mostly of seemingly weak units ; ) I've seen dragon sorceress used in Hallowheart lists for channeling too, from time to time, but I'm not sure if it had any big successes.

And yet, i don't think aynone has ever made the griffon mage work.

Awesome! I need to find if theres any reps on this list! finally a reason to bust out the 3 dragons

If we're talking just the warscroll, and not whether or not the unit is competitive, I'd go with Katakros for now. The warscroll is needlessly complex and has too much going on with the damage table and large number abilities + healing. Too much complexity/too much going on for one unit is a bad thing. He's competitive, but I don't like what his warscroll does to the game.

Talking warscroll vs lore power level/the model's appearance, maybe cygors; they're just underwhelming, and don't perform at all like you'd expect looking at the model.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Screamers as freaking awsome. Fast moving cheap ****** who grab objectives and fly over stuf to deal mortal wounds. Killing 5 wound wizards and have a very small base size. Playing against them a lot and they alway preform pretty well for those points. Sweet love for the space shark

36 minutes ago, Juicy said:

Screamers as freaking awsome. Fast moving cheap ****** who grab objectives and fly over stuf to deal mortal wounds. Killing 5 wound wizards and have a very small base size. Playing against them a lot and they alway preform pretty well for those points. Sweet love for the space shark

Perhaps you're seeing more than I do here. I usually just think that for a bit more I get way cooler stuff ingame. Still love the models though... I'll use them next time!

Glaivewraith stalkers gets my pick too for most useless warscroll. 

They don't do anything useful within that army that other units do better. They are the prime example of GW putting useless units in starter boxes. 

100% for sure is the Jabberscythe, as he only works if you get a double turn.

Low wounds, low save, slow attacks, for his points, nothing other than spells in the book can buff him, he cant Ambush, high cos to summon (most than Tzaangors on disks and Skyfires, Bullgors, DO's, Cockatrice) 

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls/aos-warscroll-jabberslythe-en.pdf

• Like 1

Melee thralls for sure.

They must have 2um on his weapons and 7 bravery , rigth now they are totally useless since they are elite unit that only fight in 1 row when 90% of others same units fight in 2 rows. 

So they will loose every combat versus any non minimal sized unit. And with his joke bravery despite being elves, and bad armor save, they will be fully wiped after every atack who target them.

So 2 range is a must, and higher bravery would be welcome too. In order to make them playable, they would be papermade yes, but at least they could kill something.

I have to agree on the Jabberslythe.  I love the model, but the current warscroll keeps it completely unplayable.

Makes me worry that they are going to ditch the model from the line in the future, since most people are not interested to buy it for their already underdog "Beasts of Chaos" armies, and it is an endangered species (Finecast) as well.

On 4/3/2020 at 1:11 AM, Maddpainting said:

100% for sure is the Jabberscythe, as he only works if you get a double turn.

Low wounds, low save, slow attacks, for his points, nothing other than spells in the book can buff him, he cant Ambush, high cos to summon (most than Tzaangors on disks and Skyfires, Bullgors, DO's, Cockatrice) 

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls/aos-warscroll-jabberslythe-en.pdf

Edited by Infernalslayer
  • Like 1

On 4/5/2020 at 10:54 AM, Kitsumy said:

Melee thralls for sure.

They must have 2um on his weapons and 7 bravery , rigth now they are totally useless since they are elite unit that only fight in 1 row when 90% of others same units fight in 2 rows. 

So they will loose every combat versus any non minimal sized unit. And with his joke bravery despite being elves, and bad armor save, they will be fully wiped after every atack who target them.

So 2 range is a must, and higher bravery would be welcome too. In order to make them playable, they would be papermade yes, but at least they could kill something.

While I do consider Thralls uncompetitive, I don't think they are a contender for the worst. 

They have an elite elf statline which is great. In fact, they actually out perform many elite elves model for model. I had a small unit of 7 put 10 wounds on my Lord of change in a single combat. Yes other elite Elves can do that, but not in unconditional battleline.

So I think units of 10 are externally balanced, even if their 32mm bases are a bit ridiculous. (I agree they should have 25 inch bases or get range 2")

What absolutely neuters them are having access to Eels in battleline. So I wouldn't call Thralls bad, just very poorly internally balanced. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Incineroar87 said:

Reavers

I am torn on them... the Concept is cool and they can be useful (somehow 10 if these killed my chaos knights with shooting + melee... the Rolls were absurd 🤣)

Yet they lack punch or a rule that really makes them skirmishers like „if the enemy charges you can shoot and make a 3“ move as reaction“ or sth. of the likes.