Nippon's Seraphon Plog - Part 1: Fixing the Carnosaur

Hey everyone, what better occasion to jump back into the hobby than a couple of weeks working from home? 

This time around, I decided to go for an old love of mine – the lizard people of old Lustria– and the first stop is the Carnosaur.

Oh boy. Back when this sculpt was released, I wanted to love him so bad, but for me it just missed the mark with it its teeny tiny head and piggy nose. The Troglodon looked fairly cool, however I wanted to have the big T-Rex chomping and stomping around, so I decided to roll my sleeves up and "fix" it myself.

This is my WIP (Scar Vet for scale):

rawr.jpg.a774b65b8782212db5bc628def257ec9.jpgCarno1.jpg.7e7702b18268e42a03c61cba4962b8f7.jpgCarno2.jpg.a3304ef27778b094ea7f627e6a2ca2ef.jpg

There is still a lot to be done, but I think it's clear enough where I'm going with this. My main issue with the original sculpt is the head. It's way too small and stubby for my taste and, being a dinosaur enthusiast since my early childhood, I wanted something more meaty. To achieve that effect, I increased the distance between each half of the upper and lower jaw by a good bit, pinning the parts with wire and stuffing the gap with modelling putty. The crest piece (the one without ornaments) does have some convenient grooves which you can cut to bend the lateral parts outward and extend it.

The teeth have been cut from the saddle parts, which come in two sizes. I will have to find some more bits to get a few smaller teeth in there as well.

A bigger head needs a bigger neck as well, so I filled up the space between chin and chest with some Milliput. Later, I added a layer of procreate to sculpt the scales on top. 

Another thing that irked me were the raptor claws on both the hands and  the feet, so off came the thumbs.

The rest is just layers of modelling putty on top of each other to get the head and scales right. The face in particular will still need quite a bit of work, but I'm positive that I can show some progress throughout the weekend.

I hope you like it so far. Comments and suggestions are always appreciated.

Stay safe everyone!

Edited by CaptainNippon
  • Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 3

Looks great so far!!! 

Being a huge dino fan since forever I to think the Seraphon range of dinos, outside of a few, are weird looking. 

Total War; Warhammer has done some amazing iterations on the units though. 

Keep up the good work. 

Edit: Id really like to do Seraphon army but will not untill sculpts are updated. 

Edited by Vasshpit
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Callidan said:

Your re-sculpt is amazing. looking forward to seeing this progress. Are you planning on changing the troops as well or just the Big Dino’s?

Thanks a lot! 

As far as the troops go, I really only dislike our poor Saurus Warriors, and for now I'm not planning on getting any of them. I have a box of Skinks on the way, though, which I really like. You fellas can definitely expect the odd conversion here and there - I'm working on the Skink Pries for my Stegadon as we speak :)

13 hours ago, Vasshpit said:

Looks great so far!!! 

Being a huge dino fan since forever I to think the Seraphon range of dinos, outside of a few, are weird looking. 

Total War; Warhammer has done some amazing iterations on the units though. 

Keep up the good work. 

Edit: Id really like to do Seraphon army but will not untill sculpts are updated. 

Yes, TW pretty much hit it out of the park with their designs and I hope GW will take them as an inspiration for future Seraphon updates. Until recently, I was in the same boat as you, but I've finally come around to getting those sculps I really enjoy or can fix myself:

- Stegadon

- Carno 

- Terradons

- Skinks

- Slann (might be slightly out of scale by now, need to check)

Edited by CaptainNippon