Play by Mail Warhammer - Interactive Battle Report.

Ben

We have decided that a bit of fun is in order so myself, @ianob and @Paul Buckler are running an online, interactive game of Age of Sigmar. 

Team Bad Dice vs Team Just Play. 

Ian and I will be team captains and taking opinions, tactics and strategy’s from everyone watching at home to play against each other from afar. 

@Paul Buckler Is the games master who will be playing out the game at our instructions.  

Play by Mail for you young uns - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Play-by-mail_game

Over the next few days we will take suggestions on how best to play this out, the battle plan to play and the lists that are to be used. 

There will be multiple daily updates but I expect a game will take at least a week.  

Social media posts for discussing should use #AoSbyMail 

let us know below if you are #TeamJustPlay or #TeamBadDice

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • LOVE IT! 5

49 minutes ago, Jack Armstrong said:

This sounds awesome.  Not sure which team I'm going to support!

Should definitely be a Chaos v Order classic I think.  Maybe 3k or something as well for some different lists.

You were on Bad Dice last week you traitor!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, swarmofseals said:

Wow, this really brings me back to playing WHFB 7th edition on Asrai.org forums using The Gimp/Photoshop. I wonder if such a thing would be viable for AOS. I'd be happy to provide a rundown of how it worked for any who are interested.

Yeah!  please do share

1 hour ago, Ben said:

Yeah!  please do share

The Gimp has a measuring tool that allows you to measure distances in an image, so it works perfectly. You set up a 6'x4' image and fill it with colored shapes representing terrain. If I recall correctly there were resources on the forum that you could cut and paste onto your battlefield to make common terrain features. You pick your army lists as normal and provide a map legend for your opponent indicating how each unit will be represented. You'd use squares of the appropriate size. In our case it'd be circles and ovals. There were templates on the site for each base size, so you just color each one to differentiate between units. You then just play the game normally, cutting and pasting your units onto the battlefield for deployment and then using the measuring tool to move units around. You take turns updating the map for your turn. For movement you're just cutting and pasting your different unit objects around the map. For each phase you'd provide an update to the map and just post it on the forum along with a description of what you did.

When it comes time to roll dice, you set up a dicelog.com dice log for the game. That way you can each verify the other's rolls. 

Whenever the opponent needs to choose how to act you just wait for them to respond to the thread with their updates, just like any other play by mail. 

As models get removed you just simply delete their objects etc.

AOS could easily function the same way. One advantage is that you don't have to worry about wheeling, which was a little awkward. The main problem though is that you have to move every model, which could be quite time consuming. Much of the time you can just move a unit together, but when you need to deal with terrain or piling in it could take a while. 

If you visit http://asrai.druchii.net/viewforum.php?f=30 you can see many examples of this system in practice. 

This thread provides a detailed breakdown on how to play: http://asrai.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=12201

And here you can see the first battle ever played on asrai.org all the way from start to conclusion (way back in 2008!): http://asrai.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=12205

• Like 1

This is very interesting and people are looking for ways to play eachother's  model armies over long distances (especially now with the quarantine seperating so many).

Looking forward to this but also wondering if we should try to expand this to help people? I could see Discord and Warcry/Skirmish going hand-in-hand for small easy to manage games with picture by picture results.