Corona Virus and The Hobby

Nos

7 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

BBC News - 12:16, 19th of March 2020:

“Games Workshop, the World leading producer of miniatures and games, and creator of the popular „Space Marine“ franchise has been performing well despite of the Covid-19 epidemic. All of their retail shops within Europe had to shut down during the development of the crisis, yet their losses were dampened by a rise of online sales, as our sources claim. The company seems to be a rare exception in these demanding times and overall Games Workshop seemed to be fine, until this morning, when dramatic events unfolded:

Due to a lack of workers and the pressure to keep the production going one employee accidentally overheated one of their machines, used for the production of plastic miniatures and caused a fire. Too late the fire was discovered, so it spread throughout the entire factory complex engulfing everything in flames. Yet the situation somehow got worse as a so called „Warpgate“ manifested right above the second production facility, demanding „Blood for the Blood God and Skulls for the Skullthrone“ - the perplexed firefighters and employees did not meet the Warpgate‘s demands in time it seems. A few more seconds passed then the Gate vomited forth a torrent of burning blood, incinerating the second factory building. In the meantime winged creatures charged out of the gate towards the GW headquarters. The mostly winged creatures fly out of the Gate in such numbers, that even the ground started shacking, just to be ripped asunder and burned alive by massive beams of lightning raining down from the skies until the Headquarter was surrounded by hulking gilded figures shouting out a Greek letter. „Sigma!“ was echoed a thousandfold by each golden  hone - as a shocked worker told us.

We had a chance to talk to the Lead Game Designer Jarvis Johnsson who only hastily answered with one cryptic Sentence: „I hope these Sigmarites don‘t roll as many ones as I do when I play them“! - He then continued, with renewed vigour, to hastily write down notes into an archaic leather-bound book“.

Keep up to date with our live ticker.

- All of this is Fake News, I just had to make at least a few people smile in these times 😃 

Darn, I thought that my ritual had finally worked.

Edited by Chaos Shepard
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Chaos Shepard said:

Darn, I thought that my ritual had finally worked.

You realise that in the interests of the forums great (and secret) policy to keep the plastic flowing - I'm going to have to have you exercised and banned now. 

Your first exercise trial of a 5 mile marathon  is in 3 days time. 

1 hour ago, Overread said:

You realise that in the interests of the forums great (and secret) policy to keep the plastic flowing - I'm going to have to have you exercised and banned now. 

A 5 mile marathon, do you make up the length by slalomming?

2 hours ago, Overread said:

I assure you that I had no intention on halting the flow of plastic, quite the contrary. My hope was to open a new means of transporting the plastic, for there's no travel faster than warp travel. You can literally get your order yesterday. 

• Like 1

On 3/18/2020 at 9:31 PM, JackStreicher said:

Just buy such boxes via the official GW Store if you were going to buy it from a GW directly anyways :)

Sadly this alternative might not be there for people outside of the U.K. much longer either. Especially if you live in the US or Asia. 

Almost all the cargo space from passenger flights is gone and air freight rates are going through the roof already in some parts of the world. Cargo planes can’t make up for that loss of space at the moment. 

A company like GW might just stop sending out products because it gets too expensive or can’t secure space from carriers even if they want to send their stuff.

Plus their factory in the UK might also have to close if they can’t get their raw materials in etc. 

7 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

Sadly this alternative might not be there for people outside of the U.K. much longer either. Especially if you live in the US or Asia. 

Almost all the cargo space from passenger flights is gone and air freight rates are going through the roof already in some parts of the world. Cargo planes can’t make up for that loss of space at the moment. 

A company like GW might just stop sending out products because it gets too expensive or can’t secure space from carriers even if they want to send their stuff.

Plus their factory in the UK might also have to close if they can’t get their raw materials in etc. 

They wont be able to stay open for much longer anyway. Difficult to justify calling people into working next to others in a factory making toys essential. They will either have to close or run at greatly reduced capacity to enable appropriate social distancing on the premises.

9 hours ago, Chaos Shepard said:

I assure you that I had no intention on halting the flow of plastic, quite the contrary. My hope was to open a new means of transporting the plastic, for there's no travel faster than warp travel. You can literally get your order yesterday. 

That would be an amazing marketing strategy. 

Gw package arrives at your doorstep, with an attached invoice stating: 'through the power of the warp we send you your order before you thought of it. Pay up please!'

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Kramer said:

That would be an amazing marketing strategy. 

Gw package arrives at your doorstep, with an attached invoice stating: 'through the power of the warp we send you your order before you thought of it. Pay up please!'

I can absolutely see them doing that... Given the passive agressive emails they send out saying "you put stuff in your cart but didn't buy it, what went wrong" its not too much of a stretch. The really worrying thing about those mails is that I've even gotten then when I wasn't logged in, but clearly they recognised the IP address...

1 hour ago, EccentricCircle said:

I can absolutely see them doing that... Given the passive agressive emails they send out saying "you put stuff in your cart but didn't buy it, what went wrong" its not too much of a stretch. The really worrying thing about those mails is that I've even gotten then when I wasn't logged in, but clearly they recognised the IP address...

Haha that's very basic marketing. Some researches say about 75% of website visitors that put things in their cart never check it out. Reminder mails have about a 10% succes rate (According to Moosend). And its simple automated system to set up.
And there are some horrible examples out there, GW's isn't that bad 😂
The IP address thing I don't know, but it might be true. Depends on how the cookies are used. Although it's more likely that your browser automatically logs in somewhere in the process. 

• Like 1

IP addresses aren't even unique identifiers and that's before you get to people using proxies. I'd wager its just that your browser automatically logged you in at some stage or you forgot you were logged in on a system. I've never heard of a cart system sending emails based on comparing IP addresses. Heck sometimes you're not logged in on one page ,but then if you change to, say, view cart your browser might automatically log you into "that page" etc... 

And yeah I recall hearing of some small stores being really aggressive to people who didn't buy what was in their cart - almost as if the cart was an agreement to purchase. Granted those are the kind of horror stories that do the rounds because one or two people did it not because it was ever commonplace. 

Well, I'll admit I have no idea how they do it, so blaming IP addresses could well be wrong. However, I always get an email when I use the basket as a calculator to quickly add up how much a set of items will cost, and I am never prompted to enter log in details at any point on that process, so they're clearly doing something to identify me which doesn't rely on me actually entering my password and email address.

4 hours ago, EccentricCircle said:

Well, I'll admit I have no idea how they do it, so blaming IP addresses could well be wrong. However, I always get an email when I use the basket as a calculator to quickly add up how much a set of items will cost, and I am never prompted to enter log in details at any point on that process, so they're clearly doing something to identify me which doesn't rely on me actually entering my password and email address.

Just because I’m now getting curious. Could you just put somethings in your cart, and after that see if you are automatically logged in? And if you get a mail? 
sorry bit of a nerd about these things. 😅I tried it as well, but so far no email (although it’s usually recommended to auto sent it roughly 24h later) 

1 hour ago, Kramer said:

Just because I’m now getting curious. Could you just put somethings in your cart, and after that see if you are automatically logged in? And if you get a mail? 
sorry bit of a nerd about these things. 😅I tried it as well, but so far no email (although it’s usually recommended to auto sent it roughly 24h later) 

Sure! It tends to happen the next day. I've never checked precisely how long.

So... having just ensured that I wasn't logged in, I put three items in the cart: Lord of Change, Disciples of Tzeetch SC and Underworlds band. I'm not planning to buy any of these any time soon, its just an experiment. I've had a look in the basket, at no point was I logged in. I went for expensive stuff in case there is a price threshold, since when its happened before, its been when I've wanted to see how much it will cost to buy lots of stuff, or how much a hobby project will cost me overall, even if I don't plan to get it all at once.

It wasn't really intended to be part of the experiment, but I happened to have run CCleaner on my computer at lunch time, so in theory I should be free of tracking fluff. We shall see what happens.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, EccentricCircle said:

It wasn't really intended to be part of the experiment, but I happened to have run CCleaner on my computer at lunch time, so in theory I should be free of tracking fluff. We shall see what happens

As soon as you acces the site the cookies are back. If you accept them of course. 🙂

• Like 1

Talked to my flgs owner just now. Went to get the newest white dwarf. Thought I would support him a bit on these trying times. 

no games there of course, but the silver lining... he sold about as many board games these past two weeks as the last holiday season 😅

• Like 2

Well i got the virus!  Looks like my prediction was true- my friend who's a policeman who got sent home with the symptoms had contracted it. She has now recovered. I had the worst fever I've ever had friday night and most of saturday- sweating constantly, constant headache and severe joint ache. Dizziness when I tried to stand. I'm already feeling better and will likely have recovered by early next week. I'm 31 years old with no existing conditions, so I'm in the best position to recover really. 

Annoyingly it means I've lost the whole weekend to hobby and have to wait another week.  But I am thankful I'm ok and my family haven't contracted it. Please stay home as much as possible- this thing spreads so easily. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, hughwyeth said:

Well i got the virus!  Looks like my prediction was true- my friend who's a policeman who got sent home with the symptoms had contracted it. She has now recovered. I had the worst fever I've ever had friday night and most of saturday- sweating constantly, constant headache and severe joint ache. Dizziness when I tried to stand. I'm already feeling better and will likely have recovered by early next week. I'm 31 years old with no existing conditions, so I'm in the best position to recover really. 

Annoyingly it means I've lost the whole weekend to hobby and have to wait another week.  But I am thankful I'm ok and my family haven't contracted it. Please stay home as much as possible- this thing spreads so easily. 

The problem I have with the symptoms, is that they are so common. I had (what I think was) the flu a month ago (with quite a fierce fever, 39.5 deg. C and very weird dreams), but it started in the weekend when I also had a mild migraine. I did not link it to Corona.

Together, quite a few of the symptoms match COVID-19, though my breathing was fine. That said, I am a long distance cyclist, so my lung capacity can be quite a bit lower before I notice in regular days.

Luckily, I did not visit my parents in the meantime, as my father is very deep in the risk group (close to 70, received organ from a deceased donor).

Hope you recover well! I am eager to get out again, but really don't want to push it.

I did start converting some leftover PIR insulation to terrain pieces to have a nice diorama to show for the whole affair.

• Like 1