My First Ironjawz Army

Log_Cabin_Gaming

Hi guys - i'm very excited to have debuted my Ironjawz on the channel last week - i started collecting these last year when the book came out - i bought the book to read on a ferry crossing and ended up loving the stories and lore i stared buying up the models. 

Anyway 6 months or so later (with a few borrowed pieces) we have our first IJ batrep - check it out here.

Moving forward, i have a glorious idea of dropping a one-shot titan killer using the Bloodtoofs Warclan on T1 that can hopefully one-shot an IronClad or something of similar size - i know i'm super late to the party and its probably already been done but hey ho - gotta try these things out for yourself eh?

Moving forward, i am struggling to put together a 2000pt list as its literally 2 SC boxes, a megaboss on Mawcrusha, some brutes and a weirdnob shaman or 2 - i am traditionally a knorne player so usually have around 10 very different builds floating around in my head at any one time.  Seems like the IJ are a bit limited on their troop choices - so i guess that makes it easy in one sense and probably everyone ends up on a similar build towards the end.......is mixing them with Bonesplitters a good idea?

17 minutes ago, Log_Cabin_Gaming said:

Moving forward, i am struggling to put together a 2000pt list as its literally 2 SC boxes, a megaboss on Mawcrusha, some brutes and a weirdnob shaman or 2 - i am traditionally a knorne player so usually have around 10 very different builds floating around in my head at any one time.  Seems like the IJ are a bit limited on their troop choices - so i guess that makes it easy in one sense and probably everyone ends up on a similar build towards the end.......is mixing them with Bonesplitters a good idea?

Yes you can combine with bonesplitterz in big waaagh. To be honest BW is probably the best way to run pure IJ.

Ironjawz lists are built in the subtleties rather than the overarching unit choices. You're battalions, whether you take specific heroes and what weighting you give to each of the units will change how the list plays.

GG's make your list faster but harder to keep in range of buffs.
Ardboys make the list tankier at the cost of speed.
Brutes do add more damage but without the speed or sustainability.
Cabbage adds a massive CA user that can hit hard but costs you on wounds/bodies elsewhere.

So this is ~what @Skeekrit ran at slaughter.

Allegiance: Big Waaagh!

Leaders
Orruk Megaboss (150)
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (110)

Battleline
20 x Orruk Ardboys (360)
20 x Orruk Ardboys (360)
15 x Orruk Ardboys (270)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)

Battalions
Ardfist (120)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 175

vs what I ran

Leaders
Wurrgog Prophet (160)
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (110)
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Wardokk (80)

Battleline
15 x Orruk Ardboys (270)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
6 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (320)
- Pig-iron Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (140)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (140)
- Pair of Brute Choppas

Units
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)

Battalions
Ardfist (120)
Ironfist (160)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Wounds: 150

vs another list I ran previously

Leaders
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (460)
- Boss Gore-hacka and Choppa
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Wurrgog Prophet (160)

Battleline
6 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (320)
- Pig-iron Choppas
20 x Orruk Ardboys (360)
5 x Orruk Brutes (140)
- Pair of Brute Choppas

Units
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)

Battalions
Ironfist (160)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 139

Those are 3 lists made up of the same broad components but each of them plays very differently. One is built around the grind, one is magic MW output and the last is blitz/hammer and anvil.

He has great mortal wound output, is good value, and the Wardokk can heal him. @Malakree is very good at using him. I haven't tried him yet, but I am getting my value out of the Ardfist before it is changed in June (I expect a change in the GHB to points of either Ardboyz, Warchanter, Ardfist or all of them). The nice thing about the other two lists is that they have some variation in them, so are a good way of finding out what you like.

The problem with my list is that if you don't like Ardboyz having painted 75 of them... it can be a bit annoying 😄