New Aos Member

Waterboy

Hi

Anyone give me any tips of where to start and what to do I am mainly interested in building, painting and collecting and also enjoy the lore :)

Cheers

Also any tell me what is the difference between these two other than the book?

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Start-Collecting-Slaves-to-Darkness-Collection-EN-2019

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Start-Collecting-Slaves-To-Darkness-2019

Welcome to the site!

The two items you've linked you've already identified the key difference. There's no discount or such applied; one set just gives you the standard Start Collecting set of models; whilst the other adds in the Battletome for extra. If you were looking for a discount or saving you can get both for less from 3rd party retailers if you want - depending where in the world you are there's often a variety of options. Though as you linked the UK site I'll assume you're in the UK where there's a range of stores such as Wayland Games; Firestorm Games and Element Games. 

Element games also shares an affiliation of the forums here and you can use this link if you wish. https://elementgames.co.uk/warhammer?d=10151

Of course if you've a local GW or hobby store to you then its good to give your custom to them if you're going to head down and play on their tables and in the clubs that use the store. Supporting your local is always a good move to help preserve the local support and interest for the game. 

The Slaves to Darkness is a very new Battletome as well, only just released a few weeks ago, and has some great models to go with it. The Collecting set is also brand new, with some very neat models and new sculpts of the warriors, riders and the brand new lord on beasty leader. So its a great set to pick up. 

Ahh! 

A Battletome is the book included in that second set. It's basically a hardback book which has

1) The lore of the faction. So its background, history, characters, notable events. The story of the faction. This is alongside lots of artwork

2) A photo gallery of the armies of that race and models, in a focused section which includes some painting tips as well as photos spread through the book

3) The Allegiance Abiltiies, equipment, spells, etc... for the faction. The rules that make the faction work.

4) The Warscrolls for all the units (models) in the army. These are the individual rules for the models.

5) Point costs for all the units and warscrolls as well as battalions (grouped formations of units with a bonus for taking them); alliance list (what other factions they can take as allies) and more. 

In general its a one-stop book about that faction. Each and every faction (Seraphon get theirs in 2 weeks) has a Battletome for the rules edition. If you look on the GW website you'll see that there's four Grand Alliances and within them are the individual armies. Each listed army has a Battletome to use. 

As for the sets neither is newer, they are the same age. Note that the models are identical in both those getting started sets. 

It sounds like you might want to use the store-finder on the GW Website and see if there's a local store to you that you might pop down too. Sometimes having a chat with someone in the real world can help you really get to grips with things and most of the GW staff are very helpful. They can show you models; help you get started and introduce you to the game. 

Of course online there's a wealth of resources and videos as well.

Perhaps it might help if you say what's interesting you at present; what has drawn you to the game and what you're hoping to get out of it. 

12 minutes ago, Overread said:

Ahh! 

A Battletome is the book included in that second set. It's basically a hardback book which has

1) The lore of the faction. So its background, history, characters, notable events. The story of the faction. This is alongside lots of artwork

2) A photo gallery of the armies of that race and models, in a focused section which includes some painting tips as well as photos spread through the book

3) The Allegiance Abiltiies, equipment, spells, etc... for the faction. The rules that make the faction work.

4) The Warscrolls for all the units (models) in the army. These are the individual rules for the models.

5) Point costs for all the units and warscrolls as well as battalions (grouped formations of units with a bonus for taking them); alliance list (what other factions they can take as allies) and more. 

In general its a one-stop book about that faction. Each and every faction (Seraphon get theirs in 2 weeks) has a Battletome for the rules edition. If you look on the GW website you'll see that there's four Grand Alliances and within them are the individual armies. Each listed army has a Battletome to use. 

As for the sets neither is newer, they are the same age. Note that the models are identical in both those getting started sets. 

It sounds like you might want to use the store-finder on the GW Website and see if there's a local store to you that you might pop down too. Sometimes having a chat with someone in the real world can help you really get to grips with things and most of the GW staff are very helpful. They can show you models; help you get started and introduce you to the game. 

Of course online there's a wealth of resources and videos as well.

Perhaps it might help if you say what's interesting you at present; what has drawn you to the game and what you're hoping to get out of it. 

Thanks

I am a total Noob at this... In case you didn't tell already :)

Is it normal just to be interested in the models and the lore I'm not to interested in the playing side of it ATM. I knew about warhammer before then I started playing the warhammer pc games i.e. TWW1 & TWW2 which sparked my interest.

It's perfectly normal and how a great many of us came to the game. Indeed for many the first army is most often a totally visual choice - which isn't bad at all. Indeed you'll spend ages building and painting so having models you really love the looks of is important. Furthermore until you game you can't really "get" how the game works best and often as not not even know the style of play you enjoy. 

Heck when people have a hard time choosing I often say to them to go to the GW website and open up the armies and then go through each army they are interested in one at a time. For each army open up a new tab for every single model in their line. Then go through and spend some time looking at each tab (model). Seeing what they do and don't like and closing the tab on any they dislike. In the end it can help them understand if they like a few models; the whole army; one or two heroes and nothing of the troops; or all the troops but not one or two heroes etc... Basically it helps give them a more structured idea of what they do and don't like. 

12 minutes ago, Waterboy said:

it normal just to be interested in the models and the lore I'm not to interested in the playing side of it ATM. I knew about warhammer before then I started playing the warhammer pc games i.e. TWW1 & TWW2 which sparked my interest.

Lots of players like that. One of the things that’s great about this hobby. Pick and choose the things that interest you. 
sounds like the narrative and painting sub forums will be the place you’ll like the most. 
enjoy! 

Just something I feel I should point out as re-reading your first post you might have got confused on one aspect. 

The two sets you listed above are starting sets for the Slaves to Darkness army - found under the Chaos Grand Alliance Tab in the store page. 

Slaves to Darkness is but one of the multitude of armies that you can pick from in the game. You don't have to start with them at all, each one has their own model range and, as noted above, Battletome. 

If you're looking for the core rules for the game to get started with them there's three things you can pick up. 

1) The basic rules for free on the website here: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/AoSSW-Core-Rules-PDF-2018-ENG

2) The "Big Rule Book" BRB - This is a very weighty book which has the free rules noted above alongside rules for the 3 different game modes - open, narrative and matched play. Note that those last three aren't many pages at all. The bulk of this book is lore - a huge amount is stories of the setting, artwork, history etc... IT's FAR more a story and lore book than it is a rules book.  https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Warhammer-Age-Of-Sigmar-Book-2018-eng

3) The Game Book. This is perhaps the best to get for starting the rules. It contains all the rules for the game (same as the big rule book) as well as additions made later, all edited in. In addition it contains some expansion rules which you don't need to worry about right now as you find your feet. It's also cheaper than the Big Rule Book and smaller, making it far more practical for gaming. https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Age-Of-Sigmar-Gaming-Book-EN-2019