Contrast 8 months on.

Rodiger

On 3/7/2020 at 8:29 AM, zilberfrid said:

Yeah, labeling Gray seer as compatible with Contrast simply is untrue.

Grey seer has it's place, but the nod towards blue tones means it'll suck out some of the vibrancy of your end result - that might not be what you're after, but equally could be what you want!

21 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

Grey seer has it's place, but the nod towards blue tones means it'll suck out some of the vibrancy of your end result - that might not be what you're after, but equally could be what you want!

Oh, I like gray seer when I work with regular paints, and when I used contrast blue, black and somewhat with volupous pink, but it is entirely worthless under flesh, red, yellow or light brown tones and not ideal on heavy brown tones or greens.

My main problems with contrasts are seethrough layers (revealing primer) and thick layers looking gel like. The first could be fixed with thicker layers, the second not at all.

I still use it for bases and rubber, and sometimes if I don't have a properly coloured wash.

I have also noticed I am moving towards using primary colours more and mixing everything myself, maybe it's just me not liking having to give up control with this paint.

Edited by zilberfrid

I don't paint as much as I'd like to but I absolutely love using my contrast paints. They make it more enjoyable for me and I love the bright popping colours you get with wraithbone. Though I have found grey seer is great for models I want to be darker in tone.

It has its own strengths and drawbacks like any technique but I am happy to say it works super well for me being non time consuming, enjoyably vibrant and fun for me to paint with. It's definitely an each to their own sort of thing (like any painting technique)

I have to agree. I have now painted 1500 pts of ogors/sylvaneth/fyreslayers/kharadron/daughters/ossiarch nearly exclusively with contrast except for metallics and i love it. i always had a hard time highlighting thin lines as my hands are not<calm>enough and if i tried often it ruined stuff. Therefore before contrast i painted a couple of armies with a similar technique using lahmian medium.

Here are some examples. Definetely nothing to win a painting contest with but i think and most people  agree makes  the game 10 times more immersiv as playing with grey plastic or even with just base coloring them with normal colors. Even if you look closer (above from the battlefield player perpective) I am still proud and dont think i need to hide my guys or feel ashamed. And btw:it still takes  many hours to complete them even with contrast

AECF9396-4383-4E01-9A8B-736C45DBFB3F.jpeg

BCAA7AA3-D847-48C7-8446-99B7BAEB1D13.jpeg

D3BE59D3-9439-40C0-B864-E2EE3494DB85.jpeg

AB1F01C1-4581-42C3-BB2E-D6706C261641.jpeg

DFBE9B66-5E4A-4C0E-A489-EC6517E76678.jpeg

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 4

4 hours ago, Banshee1978 said:

Here are some examples. Definetely nothing to win a painting contest with but i think and most people  agree makes  the game 10 times more immersiv as playing with grey plastic or even with just base coloring them with normal colors. Even if you look closer (above from the battlefield player perpective) I am still proud and dont think i need to hide my guys or feel ashamed. And btw:it still takes  many hours to complete them even with contrast

AECF9396-4383-4E01-9A8B-736C45DBFB3F.jpeg

BCAA7AA3-D847-48C7-8446-99B7BAEB1D13.jpeg

D3BE59D3-9439-40C0-B864-E2EE3494DB85.jpeg

AB1F01C1-4581-42C3-BB2E-D6706C261641.jpeg

DFBE9B66-5E4A-4C0E-A489-EC6517E76678.jpeg

I disagree. Any of those would win the Contrast-Only category at a GW store contest.

16 hours ago, Fairbanks said:

I disagree. Any of those would win the Contrast-Only category at a GW store contest.

Yea, I think they're all pretty well done - especially the trolls and stonehorn.

My only issue is the basing on the Sylvaneth, but maybe the bases are still WIP to eventually look like the Stonehorn's base.