Warcry - Ogors Discussion

DestructionKev

Hello Everyone :)

I thought, we need a place to discuss what Unit-Types we play in Warcry with our hungry Dudes. 
A lot of other Factions have their own Thread. 

I myself have put a List together, which is more focused to the Fun-Side of the game.

I take:

1 Ogor Gluttons Leader (285)

1 Oger Glutton with paired Clubs and Baldes (205)

1 Irongut (235)

1 Leadbelcher (230)

1 Gnobblar (45) 

thats  1000/1000 

My Idea was to have one Thing from everything. a big tank with the Irongut, a distance fighter with the Leadbelcher, a good Leader with the Glutton Leader, the normal Glutton to have an Allrounder and a funny mascot with the Gnoblar. 
I have a Tournament in my local Gmaestore in the middle of March and will report how that was going with this list.

I'm curious what you others going to play. 
Are you going nuts with Leadbelchers, or are you going full tank with Ironguts, or is there maybe someone who goes full horde with the Gnoblars? 

I had...

2x Ogors
2x Leadbelchers
1x Irongut Leader (315) 

...and I fell in love with them. I even allowed myself to be a little cocky, when playing against Unmade and closing in on their leader I said "watch your leader drop from full to zero in one action", AND HE DID! O.O 

Lost most games but had the best time just enjoying these guys too much. The hand-cannons are ridiculous. They just delete things from the field. 

2 hours ago, Groomy said:

I had...

2x Ogors
2x Leadbelchers
1x Irongut Leader (315) 

...and I fell in love with them. I even allowed myself to be a little cocky, when playing against Unmade and closing in on their leader I said "watch your leader drop from full to zero in one action", AND HE DID! O.O 

Lost most games but had the best time just enjoying these guys too much. The hand-cannons are ridiculous. They just delete things from the field. 

These Ogors are too expensive for thousand points. Maybe  you exchange one leadbelcher with a gnoblar?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SerialMoM said:

These Ogors are too expensive for thousand points. Maybe  you exchange one leadbelcher with a gnoblar?

Yep. I just realized I've cheated a bunch of my friends by bringing extra 200 pts of fighters and beating on them all day. Now I know where all that fun came from lmao

Thanks! O.o

Edited by Groomy

I have been playing 2 lists:

Irongut leader, leadbelcher, 2 gluttons with 2 weapons each, 1 gnoblar

Leadbelcher leader, 3 leadbelchers, 1 gnoblar

and I have to say, leadbelchers are amazing. The first list has done ok, but struggles to cover the board a bit. The leadbelchers however can take down a lot of things from range, making even sitting on objectives a risk for enemy fighters, and they can even chase down flyers which the first list also struggles with. For durability the irongut leader is great, but I’m backing underguts all the way!

• Like 1

i've only played one game so far with the my ogors. I went with.

1 Irongut Leader

1 Leadbelcher

10 gnoblar

It was a 3 way against gits and bonereapers. It was the open play drawn and quarter scenario. won by a mile by having 12 fighters verses 8 and 6.

Gnoblar make great disposable objective holders and the leadbelcher didnt move. he just sat at the back shooting.

Next game i might drop 5 gnoblar for a glutton with iron fist to see how that works.

I've been having a lot of fun with my ogors so far. I tried to split to find a nice balance between ogors and gnoblars:

1x Irongut leader

1x Glutton with dual weapons

1x Leadbelcher 

5x Gnoblars

This way I have a really heavy hitter, a strong ogor with high-ish attacks, a rangeed option, and enough bodies for objectives or to tie down enemy fighters.

Plus it was a great opportunity to finally paint up my oop gnoblar trappers.

I've played one game and it was:

Leadbelcher Leader

3 x Gluttons with dual weapons

3 x Gnoblars 

Seemed the only way to get 4 Ogors and a reasonable number of bodies total. Worked well as well, played FEC and he had 4 of the crypt horrors including a leader and then ghouls to make up the numbers, Ogors battered his big guys and took a lot of punishment without dropping in return. I think they might struggle in games where more movement is needed though. We had the one where I picked an objective and he tried to capture so I just sat my Ogors on top of the one I'd picked. 

As an aside, what are people's thoughts on the power level of Ogors? They feel very strong to me, I haven't played against flyers or Stormcast yet though so maybe they are fine, from my experience I'd maybe feel uncomfortable taking them vs a non top level warband. 

I’ve played against them two times.  I was using STD both times with a makeup up of the chosen champion , warriors and some marauders.    Both games were a variation of treasure hunt and were close coming down to the wire.   I’d say they are a strong warband.  Maybe not Stormcast strong 

• 3 weeks later...

So I've been mathhammering out some stuff and analysed the unit options.

Leaders

=======

First I'll compare the Glutton Leader with the Irongut Leader. The Irongut is 30 points more expensive and you get 1 extra toughness, 1 extra strength and 2+ damage and crit, but at the cost of 1 less attack and loss of the Ironfist ability which is a bad ability, so no great loss there.

Despite the greater damage the 2 leaders actually put out a very similar amount of damage, thanks to the Glutton's extra attack. Too keep things simple and without filling the post with ton's of maths,  the Glutton Leader will do slightly better against Toughness 3 and 4 enemies. While the Irongut will do slightly better against toughness 5 and 6 enemies. 

Considering that only really Stormcast have any toughness 6 units, and that there isn't really that many Toughness 5 units in the game anyway, I would say the Glutton Leader edges it here at least as far as damage goes.

While the Ironguts greater toughness of 5 looks good, both leaders are at 40 wounds each and will take a lot of activations to bring down regardless.

So unless you really need that strength 6 to crack open some toughness 5 enemies, say a Stormcast list, I think the Glutton Leader is the way to go.

But how does the Leadbelcher leader stack up against the other leaders? You trade in the powerful melee damage for a weaker melee attack and a really powerful ranged attack. The ranged attack itself is one of the most damaging ranged attacks in the whole game whilst also being pretty point efficient. And the melee attack isn't awful, one of the best you will find on a ranged attacker. He also has access to the Ogor Quad ability.

With 10 inch range you will be getting double shots. When double shooting the ranged damage is actually better than the other 2 leaders. With the Quad ability you can reach some really big damage. If your quad is 5 or 6, then the damage averages the same as using the the Leader Double ability but without the need for taking down an enemy.  But Rampage is strictly better unless you get 5 or 6 and are targeting a toughness 5/6 enemy.

The leadbelcher Leader has the same 4 toughness and 40 wounds as the Glutton Leader,  as well as being 35 points cheaper ( 85 points cheaper than the Irongut leader). Plus his melee profile actually means he can handle himself against weaker units that try to interrupt his shooting.

Overall I would say it is a toss up between the Leadbelcher Leader and the Glutton Leader. You could take a regular Leadbelcher for access to the quad, but the regular Leadbelcher's melee profile is quite a lot worse than the Leadbelcher's leader melee attack, meaning they might struggle to get out of combat once they are in it. They also only have 30 wounds, so are not as survivable.

The Glutton on the other hand gets the best use out of the Leader double ability. He will most easily one shot Toughness 3&4 enemies giving him access to the ability most often.

Units

========

Irongut vs Glutton with Ironfist vs Glutton with paired weapons. This fortunately is a very easy decision. The Glutton with paired weapons beats the other 2 hands down. Even the Glutton with Ironfist is better than the Irongut, unless the they are up against toughness 5 enemies. But its a moot point since the Glutton with paired weapons is better against even toughness 6 enemies than the Irongut is against any toughness. The only thing the Irongut has over the other 2 is toughness 5. But you will have to pay 25 points for it on top of the much weaker attack profile to get it. 

The amount of damage you lose to get the Ironfist ability by taking the Glutton with Ironfist is not worth it. Besides you will be too busy using your doubles for extra movement and getting your leader to activate again with the other double abilities. 

The clear winner here is the Glutton with paired weapons. They are one of the most point efficient units in the whole game.

I already kind of went over the Leadbelcher already when talking about the Leader. The ranged attack is great  and you get access to the quad. As already mentioned though the melee profile is not great. It's not much better than a gnoblars attack profile. At 230 points he is almost as expensive as the Leadbelcher leader (250) and quite abit worse (-10 wounds, bad melee). If he gets caught in combat he will probably not be able to fight his way out of it quickly enough without support.

Gnoblars are maybe the the mvp of the whole warband. Don't let the bad stats fool you. They are incredibly point efficient at 45 points, one of the best in the whole game.. Even with the bad ability (your triples are gonna be better spent on Inspiring Presence anyway). In groups they can be highly deadly and act as awesome chaff to keep your Ogors out of harms way. Excellent for filling out the rest of your warband once since you can only really take 3 or 4 ogors max.

Listbuilding

========

While it seems like we have good variety in what we can pick, we actually don't. If you pick 4 Ogors you are going to leave yourself light on bodies. With 1 or 2 Ogors, you will be relying on too many gnoblars, while super point efficient, arent hard hitting, die easily, and can struggle to get their numbers into combat with only 1 inch reach. And if your Ogor(s) die you will be without your useful abilities, in particular the movement double ability.

Taking any of the non Ogre leaders which isn't the Glutton with dual weapons and maybe the Leadbelcher feels like you are just punishing youself. 

The only real option I think there is, is in what leader you take. All three are viable, but taking the leadbelcher leader will often result in you being able to squeeze in 1 extra Gnoblar most of the time due to him being the cheapest leader.

I think @nkicik already posted the best 4 Ogor list.

- Leadbelcher Leader

- 3 x Gluttons with dual weapons

- 3 x Gnoblars 

Any other 4 Ogor list you can put together would just end up either being worse and/or having less bodies

I think the sweet spot is probably 3 Ogors, but only if you can get to 10 bodies. Playing 3 Ogors with 9 bodies is probably just worse than the list above. Swapping an Ogor out for just 2 gnoblars doesnt seem worth it.

- Leadbelcher Leader

- 2 x Gluttons with dual weapons OR 1 x Glutton with dual weapon & 1 x Leadbelcher

- 7 x Gnoblars 

Once you start going 1 or 2 Ogors, it just becomes Gnoblar spam, which might actually be good.

- Irongut Leader

- 15 x Gnoblars.

Edited by Bloodgut
Forgot to mention something
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, Bloodgut said:

So I've been mathhammering out some stuff and analysed the unit options.

Leaders

=======

First I'll compare the Glutton Leader with the Irongut Leader. The Irongut is 30 points more expensive and you get 1 extra toughness, 1 extra strength and 2+ damage and crit, but at the cost of 1 less attack and loss of the Ironfist ability which is a bad ability, so no great loss there.

Despite the greater damage the 2 leaders actually put out a very similar amount of damage, thanks to the Glutton's extra attack. Too keep things simple and without filling the post with ton's of maths,  the Glutton Leader will do slightly better against Toughness 3 and 4 enemies. While the Irongut will do slightly better against toughness 5 and 6 enemies. 

Considering that only really Stormcast have any toughness 6 units, and that there isn't really that many Toughness 5 units in the game anyway, I would say the Glutton Leader edges it here at least as far as damage goes.

While the Ironguts greater toughness of 5 looks good, both leaders are at 40 wounds each and will take a lot of activations to bring down regardless.

So unless you really need that strength 6 to crack open some toughness 5 enemies, say a Stormcast list, I think the Glutton Leader is the way to go.

But how does the Leadbelcher leader stack up against the other leaders? You trade in the powerful melee damage for a weaker melee attack and a really powerful ranged attack. The ranged attack itself is one of the most damaging ranged attacks in the whole game whilst also being pretty point efficient. And the melee attack isn't awful, one of the best you will find on a ranged attacker. He also has access to the Ogor Quad ability.

With 10 inch range you will be getting double shots. When double shooting the ranged damage is actually better than the other 2 leaders. With the Quad ability you can reach some really big damage. If your quad is 5 or 6, then the damage averages the same as using the the Leader Double ability but without the need for taking down an enemy.  But Rampage is strictly better unless you get 5 or 6 and are targeting a toughness 5/6 enemy.

The leadbelcher Leader has the same 4 toughness and 40 wounds as the Glutton Leader,  as well as being 35 points cheaper ( 85 points cheaper than the Irongut leader). Plus his melee profile actually means he can handle himself against weaker units that try to interrupt his shooting.

Overall I would say it is a toss up between the Leadbelcher Leader and the Glutton Leader. You could take a regular Leadbelcher for access to the quad, but the regular Leadbelcher's melee profile is quite a lot worse than the Leadbelcher's leader melee attack, meaning they might struggle to get out of combat once they are in it. They also only have 30 wounds, so are not as survivable.

The Glutton on the other hand gets the best use out of the Leader double ability. He will most easily one shot Toughness 3&4 enemies giving him access to the ability most often.

Units

========

Irongut vs Glutton with Ironfist vs Glutton with paired weapons. This fortunately is a very easy decision. The Glutton with paired weapons beats the other 2 hands down. Even the Glutton with Ironfist is better than the Irongut, unless the they are up against toughness 5 enemies. But its a moot point since the Glutton with paired weapons is better against even toughness 6 enemies than the Irongut is against any toughness. The only thing the Irongut has over the other 2 is toughness 5. But you will have to pay 25 points for it on top of the much weaker attack profile to get it. 

The amount of damage you lose to get the Ironfist ability by taking the Glutton with Ironfist is not worth it. Besides you will be too busy using your doubles for extra movement and getting your leader to activate again with the other double abilities. 

The clear winner here is the Glutton with paired weapons. They are one of the most point efficient units in the whole game.

I already kind of went over the Leadbelcher already when talking about the Leader. The ranged attack is great  and you get access to the quad. As already mentioned though the melee profile is not great. It's not much better than a gnoblars attack profile. At 230 points he is almost as expensive as the Leadbelcher leader (250) and quite abit worse (-10 wounds, bad melee). If he gets caught in combat he will probably not be able to fight his way out of it quickly enough without support.

Gnoblars are maybe the the mvp of the whole warband. Don't let the bad stats fool you. They are incredibly point efficient at 45 points, one of the best in the whole game.. Even with the bad ability (your triples are gonna be better spent on Inspiring Presence anyway). In groups they can be highly deadly and act as awesome chaff to keep your Ogors out of harms way. Excellent for filling out the rest of your warband once since you can only really take 3 or 4 ogors max.

Listbuilding

========

While it seems like we have good variety in what we can pick, we actually don't. If you pick 4 Ogors you are going to leave yourself light on bodies. With 1 or 2 Ogors, you will be relying on too many gnoblars, while super point efficient, arent hard hitting, die easily, and can struggle to get their numbers into combat with only 1 inch reach. And if your Ogor(s) die you will be without your useful abilities, in particular the movement double ability.

Taking any of the non Ogre leaders which isn't the Glutton with dual weapons and maybe the Leadbelcher feels like you are just punishing youself. 

The only real option I think there is, is in what leader you take. All three are viable, but taking the leadbelcher leader will often result in you being able to squeeze in 1 extra Gnoblar most of the time due to him being the cheapest leader.

I think @nkicik already posted the best 4 Ogor list.

- Leadbelcher Leader

- 3 x Gluttons with dual weapons

- 3 x Gnoblars 

Any other 4 Ogor list you can put together would just end up either being worse and/or having less bodies

I think the sweet spot is probably 3 Ogors, but only if you can get to 10 bodies. Playing 3 Ogors with 9 bodies is probably just worse than the list above. Swapping an Ogor out for just 2 gnoblars doesnt seem worth it.

- Leadbelcher Leader

- 2 x Gluttons with dual weapons OR 1 x Glutton with dual weapon & 1 x Leadbelcher

- 7 x Gnoblars 

Once you start going 1 or 2 Ogors, it just becomes Gnoblar spam, which might actually be good.

- Irongut Leader

- 15 x Gnoblars.

Thank you, very helpful analysis.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I was thinking on trying a full gnoblar warband just for fun....

image.png.4f5b030dd5a1675302dd51af022b596e.png

- using this guys as a "count as" leader (Irongut Gutlord with proper scenic base) 

- 1x Gnoblar Mournfang Riders (another count as)

- 10x Gnoblars

¿what do you think of the idea?