Warcry - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Heaviermetal

I was a bit disappointed with the lack of variety at first but I'm looking forward to running these guys soon none the less.

5 cards is very limited. It would have been more interesting to at least see a few weapon choices in the card variation or an option of blightlord leader on pusgoyle at the very least.  

If anyone wants to post the Demon side of things here, feel free! I'd love to hear some feedback, games etc on them, as I may consider grabbing them at some point too.

Edited by Heaviermetal

Picked these cards up yesterday too. The abilities are a bit underwhelming in general (though the sting is nice in some missions), but the basic fighters are solid.

2 lists:

Blightking leader, Blightking with tocsin, Blightking icon bearer, 2 Blightkings, Pusgoyle blightlord. 995pts

Blightking leader, 6 Blightkings. 1000 pts

The first list feels more tactically flexible due to having all the runemarks, has the blightlord which I think is almost an auto-include, and can be built from a single start collecting. However, I will of course be going with the second list as it has exactly seven models in it (grandfather be praised). 🤪

Edited by Baron Wastelands

18 minutes ago, Heaviermetal said:

I'm going to try and get in a game this week, with probably the same setup to start. I'll post back on how that goes asap.

Yes please. Many people are on the fence with them but I'm leaning towards joining the puddle of rot. 

I've got everything built and tak'd  such as the arms and helmets for ease of painting except for the pusgoyle which I'll wip together tonight. 

20200223_133742.jpg

I'm going to try a list with:

Blightking leader, 2 Tocsins, Icon, Blightking and Pusgoyle

1000 points

Edited by Heaviermetal

4 hours ago, Heaviermetal said:

@Groomy, Yeah, I can completely understand why people are on the fence with em.  I think they should have just made demons and rotbringers one pack. The added variety would have given alot more to build with and explore different playstyles. 

Agree entirely; and it seems plausible this was the original intention, since there are not separate campaigns for them in the tome of champions. Maybe they playtested them and decided they were too versatile when all together?

I agree that rotbringers feel a bit restrictive. Like, why no pusgoyle leader? Seems odd that the highest ranking guy in the rotbringer hierarchy on this roster cant be a leader. And why not different blightlord options for dual weapons or shields? In every warband ive seen so far a guy with a shield has +1 toughness over the same guy without, why break away from that pattern now and introduce unnecesary inconsistency into the game's rules while simultaneously choosing not to intoduce more variety into probably the most restrictive roster currently in the game?

The demons seem more interesting to me. Far more unit variety and different ways to build your warband leaning into either the shambling horde of plaguebearers or an elite drone squad. I love the quad ability that heals potentially up to 12 wounds on a nurgling model too. Looking forward to trying these guys out.

I think maggotkin could have just been a single warband since they already share a couple identical abilities anyway. But i bought both card packs and will probably try both out anyway.

I've been out of the hobby for a while (time flies), but Warcry is pulling me back in and now my FLGS will be running a month-long Warcry event throughout March. The event demands a static list which I need to decide upon beforehand, but I was thinking that whichever way things go I'd try to report some of it here.

Everybody seems to agree that mortals just aren't suited for the game. They're apparently performing poorly and are finishing last in most events I'm reading about (Real shame, I own 25 blightkings I'd love to put on the table), so anyway I was planning to bring a daemons list for the tournament.

So far I'm thinking a 980 / 1000 list consisting of:

- 1x Plagueridden

- 5x Plaguebearers

- 3x Nurglings

- 1x Beast of Nurgle

I'd love to hear about any tips, tricks, or experience any of you might have with warcry in general, and how you think one might make the most out of a Nurgle daemons list!

Also adding a pic of the boys I'm bringing. I figure a Nurgle-themed thread might have some painting tips I could benefit from too, as I feel some of my models are coming up a bit bland.

IMG_20200224_144121.JPG

Edited by Avvien
  • Like 1

So I sorta got a game in today against Nighthaunt with my Rotbringers. I took the standard loadout; Blightking leader, Blightking with tocsin, Blightking icon bearer, 2 Blightkings, and a Pusgoyle blightlord. 

The game went poorly for me today because I ended up getting the rubbish deployment option.  If I could have went with the other option, the game would have gone much smoother in my favor and probably more fun for both of us. The objective was attack/defend, attacker needed to collect and burn, 3 of 6 objectives.  I was the defender and it was easy to see, going against fliers who spawn in the better deployment locations near the objectives would easily win this game. We hadn't played this one before, so we didn't know how stupid rng it turned out to be. Still, it was fun to move a few inches and get into a bit of combat lol. Will have some more games this week and will report back when I can.

img_20200302_122646.jpg.7a6b58149df109565b29936afd8f8fe7.jpg

Edited by Heaviermetal