LOS required to cast Skaven prayers?

James McPherson

Question

There's nothing in the description of the ability to say it must be on a visible unit, just a distance restriction. Whereas Arcane bolt & Mystic Shield actually states in the description it must be cast on a visible unit. It also states in the Unbinding rules you must be able to see them to unbind.

So are the prayers safe to case without LOS? I play it that way, but my last two opponents didn't seem too happy with that.

Specifically I'm looking at the prayers Pestilent Breath and Skrolk's version Death Plague

4 answers to this question

It follows from what you've said that you don't need line of sight for a prayer. There are plenty of abilities that don't need line of sight (Kroak's comets call for example), so if they don't say - you don't need it. 

It's not even particularly unfluffy - he's invoking magical/god given powers (plus he could probably sniff out his target anyway). 

It doesn't say anything about needing LoS to cast spells under the Wizard rules. Individual spells do claim this if needed. So unless stated otherwise, line of site isn't needed. The same goes for Command Abilities. I suppose you can consider that the units are within earshot, and inspired by what they hear :)

I can just hear those Plague Preists now, Poopy poopy toilet goopy stinky butts make refuse slinky

From the stories these attacks are rolling fogs wafting over walls and through cracks.

It is definitely helpful to describe what's happening to help your opponent imagine the effect from a narrative perspective, and sometimes accept the gameplay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived