Restarting Underworlds: What do I need?

Hannibal

Hi all,

I´m going to start Underworlds once again after being out of the game for a year now. To make it easier, here are some questions for you all:

1) From the currently "allowed" card sets I own Kharadron, Mollog, Zarbags, Briar Queen and the new Nurgle one. Which Warbands should I get in addition to gain the most out of the cards? I like to focus on a more aggressive playstyle at the beginning.

2) I like to get the Lady Harrow's Mournflight Warband. There is a copy of the Dreradfane starter (with board and so on) lying around in a shop here. Should I get that "old" starter or should I get the actual Champions of Dreadfane boxed set? Any different cards?

3) Is Mollog still a thing in the current "meta"?

4) Talking about aggressive play, which warband would you advice?

Thanks in advance!

HTG

Edited by Hannibal
  • Like 1

Welcome back! 

4. For aggro, the Snarlfangs are king at the moment. Packaged with a strong set of neutrals, they should be your first buy if you wanna smash faces.  

3. Mollog is still good, but he's not in the very top tier. With objectives ruling competitive play and Mollog struggling mightily against large warbands that can spread out and hold objectives, he doesn't quite make the cut.  

2. The original Dreadfane box comes with the board and extra fun tokens to turn it into a standalone board game. Other than that everything is exactly the same. I recommend you buy whichever you can get cheaper, unless you really wanna try out the standalone version, then buy the original. 

1. You already own 3 very solid card sets in Mollog, Zarbag and Profits. Rippa's Snarlfangs should be your first purchase for the strong card set and your penchant for aggro. From there, it's kind of a tossup. My personal recommendation would be Power Unbound, Grymwatch, Beastgrave Gift Pack, Mantrappers in that order. For long term viability, drop Power Unbound completely. It has a lot of strong and restricted cards, but will also rotate with the rest of the Nightvault, unlike the remaining 3. And dependent on how much of Season 1 you have, you may not need the Gift Pack at all, especially if you're eschewing objective play in favor of aggro. 

• 1 month later...

Not to hijack but a bit more indepth;

-If I have nothing from Nightvault or Beastgrave how do I go about getting the neutral cards for the Nightvault stuff?

-Are there base cards only available in the nightvault boxset?

-Is there any gathering of that boxsets cards?

-Are the faction specific cards from the first season (like Steelheart's Dudes) still valid or the first season warbands? Or are they not available for play anymore?

Thanks! I'm curious and want to dive back in since the kiddos will be home a lot and this is a pretty easy game to set up and play but I also want to make sure I can get everything. Thanks!

On 3/22/2020 at 6:12 PM, Hulksmash said:

Not to hijack but a bit more indepth;

-If I have nothing from Nightvault or Beastgrave how do I go about getting the neutral cards for the Nightvault stuff?

-Are there base cards only available in the nightvault boxset?

-Is there any gathering of that boxsets cards?

-Are the faction specific cards from the first season (like Steelheart's Dudes) still valid or the first season warbands? Or are they not available for play anymore?

Thanks! I'm curious and want to dive back in since the kiddos will be home a lot and this is a pretty easy game to set up and play but I also want to make sure I can get everything. Thanks!

Basically breaks down to this: 

Neutrals only come from warband boxes or the boxset to start each season. GW does not currently offer any other method of obtaining cards. There are neutrals available from the boxsets to start each season, but if you have one of the three then you'll have most of the important cards offered. If you're going to buy one, buy Beastgrave as it'll give you the most used neutral cards from Nightvault and a few other decent cards that have seen some play this season, mainly Snare. Of course, the Nightvault set box also holds two of the top warbands in the game so there's always that too. 

Faction specific cards from all seasons, along with their warbands are always legal. Only neutrals will ever rotate. 

• 2 weeks later...

So I've got all the new warbands for nightvault (i.e. all 6 seperate boxes and the nightvault starter) and I'm still missing universal cards. Do I have to rebuy the repackaged season 1 starter warbands (Steelhart & Reavers) to get the full Nightvault Set? And the Power Unbound Deck?

I have a bit of an issue being a completionist so I can always come back to a season.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2020 at 5:50 PM, Hulksmash said:

So I've got all the new warbands for nightvault (i.e. all 6 seperate boxes and the nightvault starter) and I'm still missing universal cards. Do I have to rebuy the repackaged season 1 starter warbands (Steelhart & Reavers) to get the full Nightvault Set? And the Power Unbound Deck?

I have a bit of an issue being a completionist so I can always come back to a season.

To have a complete Nightvault set, you would have to buy Power Unbound and the repackaged warbands. There is a card set called Echoes of Glory which is just the neutrals that come with the repackaged warbands, but it has been out of print for years now and is tough to find.