Jabberslythe or Karkadrak

I have this random kitbashed little dragonoid monster I made, and can't decide to base him as a Jabberslythe for my Beasts of Chaos, or as a Lord on Karkadrak for my Slaves to Darkness.  I have a Lord on Daemonic Mount to go with my Knights and Chariots already, but I know the Karkadrak is very good.  But the Jabberslythe is underrated for its potential effects I think.

Any thoughts?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Maddpainting said:

Jabberscythe is hot trash. You either need a double turn, or have them not target him so he lives. His ability is at the start of your hero phase, is only 6", and only works on a 6. His ability just doesn't work.

Isn't the only ability that matters spurting bile blood?  Not sure why double turn matters.  Maybe I am reading the ability wrong, I've honestly never seen one on the table (probably a hint that I am), but it seems like since the mortals apply to allocated wounds you aren't even capped at 10.  Throw him into something like a pumped up maw krusha that does 20-30 wounds a turn, and you have a decent chance of killing the monster for a 140pt investment.  Seems like an okay trade off to me.  With a big base too, you can potentially force a decent number of models in a normal unit into combat with him too.  Doesn't make him amazing, but aura of madness seems superfluous to why you would take one no?

25 minutes ago, tripchimeras said:

Isn't the only ability that matters spurting bile blood?  Not sure why double turn matters.  Maybe I am reading the ability wrong, I've honestly never seen one on the table (probably a hint that I am), but it seems like since the mortals apply to allocated wounds you aren't even capped at 10.  Throw him into something like a pumped up maw krusha that does 20-30 wounds a turn, and you have a decent chance of killing the monster for a 140pt investment.  Seems like an okay trade off to me.  With a big base too, you can potentially force a decent number of models in a normal unit into combat with him too.  Doesn't make him amazing, but aura of madness seems superfluous to why you would take one no?

"Wounds allocated" is wounds actually done to the model, which stop as soon as the model is dead. So the absolute MOST he's doing with Bile Blood is 10, more likely he's doing 5, if he's killed entirely with melee weapons. Hardly worth the investment.

From the FAQ:

Q: I would like some clarification on how the Jabberslythe’s Spurting Bile Blood ability is intended to work, specifically whether ‘overkill’ damage triggers dice rolls to test for mortal wounds. For example, if my Jabberslythe suffers 12 wounds from a single unit’s melee weapon(s), do I roll 12 dice to test for mortal wounds even though the Jabberslythe has a Wounds characteristic of 10?

A: The Spurting Bile Blood ability triggers when a wound is allocated. As wounds are allocated one at a time until the model is slain, any ‘overkill’ will not cause the ability to be triggered. See page 7 of the core rules, ‘Allocating Wounds’. 

Edited by whiskeytango
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, whiskeytango said:

"Wounds allocated" is wounds actually done to the model, which stop as soon as the model is dead. So the absolute MOST he's doing with Bile Blood is 10, more likely he's doing 5, if he's killed entirely with melee weapons. Hardly worth the investment.

From the FAQ:

Q: I would like some clarification on how the Jabberslythe’s Spurting Bile Blood ability is intended to work, specifically whether ‘overkill’ damage triggers dice rolls to test for mortal wounds. For example, if my Jabberslythe suffers 12 wounds from a single unit’s melee weapon(s), do I roll 12 dice to test for mortal wounds even though the Jabberslythe has a Wounds characteristic of 10?

A: The Spurting Bile Blood ability triggers when a wound is allocated. As wounds are allocated one at a time until the model is slain, any ‘overkill’ will not cause the ability to be triggered. See page 7 of the core rules, ‘Allocating Wounds’. 

gotcha, simply checking faq would have solved that, duh.  Never see beasts and this one of many reasons why clearly haha.

Just now, whiskeytango said:

It is a shame. They really nerfed the Jabbersylthe into uselessness.

Yeah it is, I really like the concept of a monster that exists basically as a nuclear mutual annihilation deterrent, same with that 1 cities spell on like flaggelants or whatever.  Its a cool idea, but capping it at model's max wounds on a 4+ cripples it.  If it was a 2+ 140pts wouldn't be too too bad, ~8 mortals nothing to sneeze at, but again so easy to shoot off a few wounds still not great.  It would really need to be uncapped to be worthwhile.

On 2/19/2020 at 10:04 AM, Lord Krungharr said:

I have this random kitbashed little dragonoid monster I made, and can't decide to base him as a Jabberslythe for my Beasts of Chaos, or as a Lord on Karkadrak for my Slaves to Darkness.  I have a Lord on Daemonic Mount to go with my Knights and Chariots already, but I know the Karkadrak is very good.  But the Jabberslythe is underrated for its potential effects I think.

Any thoughts?

Why not both? Magnetize the rider and use it accordingly with either army.

The fluff can be that it's a realmbeast that mutates depending on which mortal realm it inhabits so if it's with the Beast armies it mutates into a Jabberslythe from the wild and darker magics of Ghur, Ghyran, Shyish and Ulgu upon it while your Chaos army brings the winds of the other realms causing it to turn into a Krakadrak from firey and strengthening magic Aqshy and Hysh would have.

Would make some fun Narrative games too like a handler having a bag of realm stones to feed the beast and cause it to change during battle to throw the opponent off or a warband battle in a nexus battlefield with the "hunters" luring the beast on different realmscapes to gain an advantage.