Blades of khorne or Ironjawz for a noob

bigpaul0909

Hey guys, I'm new here, quick back story, I found AOS from painting minis for fun/dnd.  Saw stormcast and bought a SC box and some random other units. Went to my first game thinking SCE these big heavily armored guys, well i got crushed(one because i didnt know how to play very well, 2 because i went full melee in a 1k game with SCE...). Anyway as much as i like the look of SCE models i have no desire to play with a mainly range focus army.  I returned the battleforce box i had and and going to go Mortal Blades of khorne or ironjawz.  for a new player Ironjawz seem like a breeze to start collecting with the limited range of models and most being useful, BOK seems like a ton of fun to play with all the area unit buffs ect, and the army itself looks super fun to paint.  Who would you recommend and hwy for a noob! thanks guys

• Like 2

Blood for the Blood God!!!  IMO cooler models and I love how they play.   Wider range/ conversion ease. I love the chaos lore. I’m kinda biased tho since I’ve been a chaos player for ages.  

Orks seem pretty cool and I’ve had fun playing against them.   Have fun.   Ike

I 100% recommend Iron Jawz if you're a new player looking for a satisfying melee army. Iron Jawz are a very fun, very effective melee army, and give you the added versatility of being taken as either dedicated Iron Jawz, or as part of the Big Waaagh. You have durable, hard-hitting unites, good cavalry, and one of the most intimidating Monsters in the game (Megaboss on a Maw Crusha).

BoK on the other hand are in a strange place right now. The strongest versions seem to be either Daemon-focused build running multiple Bloodthirsters, or a Mortal list built around buffing Archaeon and using him to double-pile in and erase huge chunks of opposing armies. The rank-and-file mortal Blades of Khorne lists don't seem to have the punch to really threaten a lot of the most popular armies being played, are very vulnerable to shooting, and tend to fall apart when their support heroes die. I think you'd probably get fairly discouraged if you put together a mortal Khorne list that didn't include Archaeon. It's a very puzzle-y army, and requires a substantial amount of skill to pilot, since you will probably need to win from strong objective play, not combat.

• Like 2

As someone that owns both armies, this is a perfect place where I can chime in on.

The first thing I should say is: How new of a player are you? If you're completely new to wargaming, then pick the army you like the look of first. Rules change over time, and you'll most likely spend more time painting than getting games in, which means you'll be staring at the army you choose for quite a long time... better be something you dig :).

The second thing is, don't focus so much on tournament results unless that's what you desire to eventually spending the most of your time. The armies that you will most commonly see at these events on the higher placings may or may not reflect what armies are played locally for you. 

In regards to directly comparing the two armies:

- Ironjawz are a massive blunt instrument compared to Khorne. Khorne is a blood-soaked Rube Goldberg Machine where you need to be precise in who you buff and with positioning your models. The Blood Tithe table is also where good Khorne players get separated from great Khorne players. A lot of Khorne players get fixated on summoning in a Bloodthirster, when using something else would be the better play, which makes Khorne harder to play. 

- Ironjawz actually get to use magic. A Khorne player, you'll has access to so much spell hate that they really won't learn the intricacies to how spells work. 

- Khorne Mortals in particular are balanced around the amount of extra attacks that are available, where you can quite easily get +2 attacks to every single model, or +3 if the stars align. 

- Ironjawz being a small model range is both a blessing and a curse. The blessing is that the Start Collecting box gets you a massive amount of the army and doubling up on it is mandatory. The curse is that the lists you play are quite limited compared to Khorne, which list builds around their battalions, such as Tyrants of Blood, Gore Pilgrims, Dark Feast, Murderhost, etc. Ironjawz battalions are not built around as much, with Ironfist and Ardfist being the most common.

- Khorne's model range is massive with plenty to keep you chewing on it for quite a while. 

If you have any specific questions in regards to comparing two armies, I believe I'd be able to answer them.

Edited by AresX8
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

Playing Khorne, I feel like all the choice can be overwhelming at times, and I've been playing a long time. Thats without going into the aforementioned surprising intricacies of their play style AND how time consuming (mortals at least) can be to paint with all their armor trim and details. 

Ironjawz on the other hand... ohhhh Ironjawz. Simple to paint. Small unit selection. Strong rules that are simple and easy to put into effect. For a new player looking to get into a CC army, I'm not sure you could do better than IJ. 

• Like 2

Just now, bigpaul0909 said:

Went to my first game thinking SCE these big heavily armored guys, well i got crushed(one because i didnt know how to play very well, 2 because i went full melee in a 1k game with SCE...).

That's doable, just make sure you got the even More big heavily armored Paladin Retributors leading the way so their giant hammers, glaives, and Soulmaces turn your opponents into lightning-struck mush. ;)

(If you ever give them another go then look into the Excelsiors or Vindicators stormhosts to make your celestial knights more smashy or choppy)

Regardless, Ironjawz sound like an excellent fit for you as a powerful melee army easy to get into and gives you lots of ally options down the road if you feel like branching out with savage Bonesplitterz, skulking grots or monstrous Troggoths for more smashing.

Another note is you could proxy some Blades of Khorne Bloodreavers or Blood warriors as the Rampager mercenaries.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/06/10/the-generals-handbook-2019-mercenary-companiesgw-homepage-post-2/

That way you can add and paint-up a group you like the aesthetics of with a Khorne flavor. Fun narratives you can base it on too like they joined the Ironjawz for free because of all the blood they were spilling.

Edit: Oh, a side project with Warcry is always an option too.

Small warband that's deadly in melee with the new Khorne daemon rules could be up your alley.

86382344_1260894170774040_16273988941219

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • Like 1