Warcry - Kharadron Overlord discussion

Baron Wastelands

Hey KO fans, I just received the KO warcry box as a birthday gift, now, I don't really play KO or have too much interest them myself but I'm certainly not about to turn down a nice gift like this and it's always nice to have more warbands available for people to play with. 

Does anybody know if there's a particular combination of models/weapons I can build from the KO box alone which will result in a neat, fun to play, 1000pt warband?  Glancing at the cards it looks like it's impossible to make a 1k warband using all 8 models from the kit at once, which is unfortunate, but if anyone more familiar with the KO than I am has any insight I'd love to hear it!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2020 at 11:23 AM, Lucentia said:

Hey KO fans, I just received the KO warcry box as a birthday gift, now, I don't really play KO or have too much interest them myself but I'm certainly not about to turn down a nice gift like this and it's always nice to have more warbands available for people to play with. 

Does anybody know if there's a particular combination of models/weapons I can build from the KO box alone which will result in a neat, fun to play, 1000pt warband?  Glancing at the cards it looks like it's impossible to make a 1k warband using all 8 models from the kit at once, which is unfortunate, but if anyone more familiar with the KO than I am has any insight I'd love to hear it!

You’re right, it’s hard to build an optimal list from just the box, but I think I’d do something like:

Grundstok sergeant 195

Grundstok thunderer with aether cannon 175

2x Grundstok thunderer with aether rifle 2x 115

2 x sky wardens with sky pikes 2x 200

Gives you 1k exactly, and some versatility. 

On 12/20/2020 at 12:23 PM, Lucentia said:

The skywarden captain (custodian) is really good as a leader Imo. hard to kill, fast, pretty good damage. And super useful 2” range. 

the aether canon decimated my Orruk brutes yesterday. He was quite lucky with his rolls but damn the damage potential is great. 

113D953D-148E-4199-AA1A-45A9AD863F10.jpeg.77e43e512ff2662e86c041b33ad4cb45.jpeg

not in your box but I think the arkanauts with pikes are amazing. Again two inch range, extra activations and combat potential. 

the thunderers are great for their triple in general. But the canon, the fumigator (no minimum range) and the rifle are my personal stand outs. 

if you keep rolling 6’s on you drill cannon like my mate that is great on a skywarden as well 😂

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm one week into the Soroth Kor Campaign from the new Tome of Champions, and the KO are doing pretty well. I'm currently using this list:

Gunnery Sergeant

Thunderer w/ Aethercannon

Arkanaut w/ skypike

Arkanaut w/ volleygun

2x Skywardens w/ skypike and pistol

And while they aren't encountering any problems so far (I'm 3-0, and over the course of the games have only lost 3 models total), it feels like it could all fall apart at any moment... what suggestions do folks have for expanding outwards as the campaign goes on (for example, I can currently field up to 1150 points/game, but still only have these guys). Are the endrinriggers that good? They've accounted for most of my losses (literally they go in, they die, they perma-die during injury rolls). Should I just go for more bodies and get more arkanauts with special weapons? Should I spring for a warden/rigger with a volley gun? My problem is, as nothing has technically gone wrong yet, I don't REALLY know what holes I need to shore up. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I was gifted a pack of KO cards for warcry, so it looks like i'll be starting this game. Anyone know if these cards are still valid or are they useless since the sentinel of order book has their rules (along with new leaders apparently)?

I got a box of 5 thunderers, a box of arkanauts and a box of 3 skyriggers (not sure how to build them yet).

3 hours ago, Gorthaur said:

I was gifted a pack of KO cards for warcry, so it looks like i'll be starting this game. Anyone know if these cards are still valid or are they useless since the sentinel of order book has their rules (along with new leaders apparently)?

I got a box of 5 thunderers, a box of arkanauts and a box of 3 skyriggers (not sure how to build them yet).

Almost none of the printed cards changed. The books mainly added new warriors and leaders, and/or converted the existing Monsters and Mercenaries characters into leaders for particular factions.

So in general, you're probably fine with the card pack.

On 1/11/2021 at 7:16 AM, Docthe3rd said:

So I'm one week into the Soroth Kor Campaign from the new Tome of Champions, and the KO are doing pretty well. I'm currently using this list:

Gunnery Sergeant

Thunderer w/ Aethercannon

Arkanaut w/ skypike

Arkanaut w/ volleygun

2x Skywardens w/ skypike and pistol

And while they aren't encountering any problems so far (I'm 3-0, and over the course of the games have only lost 3 models total), it feels like it could all fall apart at any moment... what suggestions do folks have for expanding outwards as the campaign goes on (for example, I can currently field up to 1150 points/game, but still only have these guys). Are the endrinriggers that good? They've accounted for most of my losses (literally they go in, they die, they perma-die during injury rolls). Should I just go for more bodies and get more arkanauts with special weapons? Should I spring for a warden/rigger with a volley gun? My problem is, as nothing has technically gone wrong yet, I don't REALLY know what holes I need to shore up. Thanks!

It is a good list!  The only suggestions I have would be to flush out with some cheaper models to help you with objective grabbing missions and to make it harder for others to out-activate you-so a couple more arkanauts could help.  The arkanauts with volleyguns are quite nasty, so adding more of those are nice!  The light skyhook is fun, but that minimum range can be tricky.  You could add an endrinrigger and then just run with one skywarden and one endrinrigger, rather than two skywardens.

• 1 month later...

Had a great time playing this hyper-elite list in the weekend:

- Endrinmaster in Dirigible Suit
- Mizzenmaster
- Endrinrigger w/saw
- Endrinrigger w/drill cannon

Thankfully the scenario wasn't weighted in favour of having bodies on objectives, so I got to scoot everything around at top speed and chopped some chaos worshippers up.

I'm not entirely sold that the Endrinmaster in Dirigible Suit is actually worth the additional points over the Mizzenmaster (4 strength vs. 5 strength on the melee attacks is a big drop), but it was fun to bring him to the table!

Anyone else had good success with any other lists recently? Always looking to try new combos, especially those that include the new leader options!

Edited by Tinniez

Hey everyone, Thanks for the lists. I recently picked up the warcry box and the Arkanaut box. Haven't started putting them together since I have ZERO idea what I want to field. 

Wondering if anyone has built the skywardens with magnets and tried swapping them with Endrinrigger gear occassionally? ? Is that even an option? 

19 hours ago, DrShan said:

Hey everyone, Thanks for the lists. I recently picked up the warcry box and the Arkanaut box. Haven't started putting them together since I have ZERO idea what I want to field. 

Wondering if anyone has built the skywardens with magnets and tried swapping them with Endrinrigger gear occassionally? ? Is that even an option? 

You can absolutely magnetize the Endrinrigger/Skywarden kit. The connections points where the arms attach to the torso are flat and wide, so a small drill should allow you to seat a magnet in there rather easily. Take a look at the Kharadron Overlords Facebook page - there are many examples of it on there.

Arkanauts: I just build these lads with all the special weapon options available, because they 're fun. The volleygun is great in Warcry, as is the skypike.

Thunderers: The aethercannon is undeniably powerful in Warcry, but many people (myself included) equip all of these lads with aethershot rifles, as they have better range in Age of Sigmar. Again, these models have flat and wide connection points, so you should be able to magnetize the arms if you so desire.

Edited by Tinniez

• 1 month later...
On 3/8/2021 at 6:23 AM, Tinniez said:

You can absolutely magnetize the Endrinrigger/Skywarden kit. The connections points where the arms attach to the torso are flat and wide, so a small drill should allow you to seat a magnet in there rather easily. Take a look at the Kharadron Overlords Facebook page - there are many examples of it on there.

Arkanauts: I just build these lads with all the special weapon options available, because they 're fun. The volleygun is great in Warcry, as is the skypike.

Thunderers: The aethercannon is undeniably powerful in Warcry, but many people (myself included) equip all of these lads with aethershot rifles, as they have better range in Age of Sigmar. Again, these models have flat and wide connection points, so you should be able to magnetize the arms if you so desire.

Cheers Tinniez. I ended up picking up an old army of someone and so I have heaps of units. Also the magnets turned out to be a real pain. 

my current band of brothers is: 

Khemist (L) - For the extra shots

Mizzenmaster (H) - for the mobility

3 x Arkanaut w/Volley guns - for the pew pew

2 x Arkanaut w/ pistol & cutter (might swap to spear)

1 x Thunderer w/ mortar.

I play against gloomspite gitz mainly (only have 1 friend who plays) and he kicks my behind. he has 1 hoppa, 1 boss & a Trogott as a thrall which I hate. Any suggestions or tips would be amazing!! 

9 minutes ago, DrShan said:

Cheers Tinniez. I ended up picking up an old army of someone and so I have heaps of units. Also the magnets turned out to be a real pain. 

my current band of brothers is: 

Khemist (L) - For the extra shots

Mizzenmaster (H) - for the mobility

3 x Arkanaut w/Volley guns - for the pew pew

2 x Arkanaut w/ pistol & cutter (might swap to spear)

1 x Thunderer w/ mortar.

I play against gloomspite gitz mainly (only have 1 friend who plays) and he kicks my behind. he has 1 hoppa, 1 boss & a Trogott as a thrall which I hate. Any suggestions or tips would be amazing!! 

So I actually just finished a campaign with KO that I got lucky enough to win with, so here are some suggestions:

1) use the Leader's Triple (fight for profit, I think it's called) as often as you can. If you can keep your volley guns near your leader and stay 3" away from the Gitz, each volley gun can pump out 14 shots a turn (assuming you shoot with both actions), which will shred most things (especially the smaller Gitz stuff)

2) similarly, try to make use of the double that gets you a free disengage to keep stuff out of range.

3) If you can, swap the arkanauts with a pistol and cutter to the ones with spears - they're SO good. Over my campaign my one guy with a spear would regularly take out stuff much bigger than itself.

4) I love my thunderer with an aethercannon, since it would regularly delete stuff in one or two actions. Try to fit one in if you can. 

As for actually playing, the keys are going to be to stay out of melee, and to try to get as many shots off as possible. If you can work it where everything is fighting the Troggoth once it lumbers over to you versus having to take on everything AND the Troggoth, it gets much simpler. My go-to was to, essentially, focus fire on one target at a time in order to make sure the things died before they could cause too much trouble. 

Hope this helps!

Edited by Docthe3rd
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Docthe3rd said:

So I actually just finished a campaign with KO that I got lucky enough to win with, so here are some suggestions:

1) use the Leader's Triple (fight for profit, I think it's called) as often as you can. If you can keep your volley guns near your leader and stay 3" away from the Gitz, each volley gun can pump out 14 shots a turn (assuming you shoot with both actions), which will shred most things (especially the smaller Gitz stuff)

2) similarly, try to make use of the double that gets you a free disengage to keep stuff out of range.

3) If you can, swap the arkanauts with a pistol and cutter to the ones with spears - they're SO good. Over my campaign my one guy with a spear would regularly take out stuff much bigger than itself.

4) I love my thunderer with an aethercannon, since it would regularly delete stuff in one or two actions. Try to fit one in if you can. 

As for actually playing, the keys are going to be to stay out of melee, and to try to get as many shots off as possible. If you can work it where everything is fighting the Troggoth once it lumbers over to you versus having to take on everything AND the Troggoth, it gets much simpler. My go-to was to, essentially, focus fire on one target at a time in order to make sure the things died before they could cause too much trouble. 

Hope this helps!

Congratulations 🎊! Was it the bad investment campaign? What's my options for using glory options?? Dominating territory seems like a bit of a waste. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Having a hard time staying out of mele range of the dam loomboss on his giant squig. They have the most OP quad!! Hate that add value of dice non sense. 

46 minutes ago, DrShan said:

Congratulations 🎊! Was it the bad investment campaign? What's my options for using glory options?? Dominating territory seems like a bit of a waste. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Having a hard time staying out of mele range of the dam loomboss on his giant squig. They have the most OP quad!! Hate that add value of dice non sense. 

We were doing one from the Tome of Champions (the big, 3 month one), but it plays the same as a normal one. When I got extra glory, I just added in some more heroes, mostly. The Endrinmaster with the dirigible suit is expensive, but can really be useful in terms of getting around and messing with people, but the other endrinmaster (the one on foot) is equally good. He has a double (I believe) that gives him an extra attack and basically means you'll hit any target on 3s and deal a good chunk of damage. 

• Like 1

On 5/5/2021 at 10:24 PM, Docthe3rd said:

We were doing one from the Tome of Champions (the big, 3 month one), but it plays the same as a normal one. When I got extra glory, I just added in some more heroes, mostly. The Endrinmaster with the dirigible suit is expensive, but can really be useful in terms of getting around and messing with people, but the other endrinmaster (the one on foot) is equally good. He has a double (I believe) that gives him an extra attack and basically means you'll hit any target on 3s and deal a good chunk of damage. 

Will have to look into this double. My plan is to spend my glory points and pump a bunch of spear arkiea into the fray to glut up the hoppers and troggoth.. 

• 10 months later...
On 2/18/2020 at 7:22 PM, FractalRain said:

I'm currently running this list:

Thunderer Leader -good stats and can use the bird Double -175
Skywarden - 2" melee is nice and no minimum range on pistol -mobile -200
Endrinrigger -slightly better melee and no minimum range on pistol -mobile -205
Thunderer with aethercannon - great damage-dealer -175
Arkanaut with skypike - 2" melee, but no range - helps block and clear models within 3" of the shooters  -85
Arkanaut with volleygun - low Str, but many shots!    -105

Though only having 6 models can be tough as you'll be out-activated, two balloons is worth it for mobility and almost everyone can shoot.  Will likely add more Arkanauts with volleyguns as I get a territory, but having some low-cost Arkanauts may be helpful for controlling objectives and having activations.

Hi Bro! im going to use your build, but i have a dude...how do you distributd them in dagger, hammer and shield?

On 3/16/2022 at 7:18 AM, juancarMAD said:

Hi Bro! im going to use your build, but i have a dude...how do you distributd them in dagger, hammer and shield?

Hey @juancarMAD!

Not the person who made the list you are thinking of using - but you might like to have a watch of this video by Reedo and check out the comments section. There is some fairly good discussion there about how to best split up your warband.

Typically the older/original plans favoured the shield coming on earlier, but my understanding is that newer plans (Catacombs and Red Harvest) tend to have a more even distribution in when groups show up.