Warcry - Kharadron Overlord discussion

Baron Wastelands

Had a few games now with the Kharadron, and I have to say they’re a flexible warband, with some real hitting power.  Few observations:

Balloons. These guys are a must, they add mobility and tactical options to an otherwise slow (although ranged) warband. They have won the majority of games, just by being able to be where they need to be (including out of reach). In terms of armaments, since there are so many options: I took melee orientated riggers (rivet guns and aethermatic saws) for a while, but they are relatively squishy when it comes to some of the new menaces on the block, so my preferred load out is now at least one of the drill launcher.  Means you can still pack a punch, and dance around the edges as you need to, without risking any so many meaty fists. The volleygun is too weak on balloonriders to make it worth it (though see arkanauts below!), and the grapnel launcher isn’t necessary because you already have the mobility if you need it; getting there quicker so you can shoot ... a grapnel launcher ... is underwhelming. Skyhooks are ok, just find drills generally better. The difference between riggers and wardens is absolutely minimal, I never found myself wanting to use timed charges over rampage, even when I could. So I go with riggers because they’re cheaper.

Leaders: Tempting to take an endrinrigger to address the issue above, but honestly I just think there’s too much risk attached. My personal favourite is the Grundstok Thunderer leader, though the arkanaut one is ok in a pinch, especially if you need points. The Thunderer’s is powerful at range, and tough enough to hold the line. The KO leader triple is really good, and gets used a lot, so keep your leader with some powerful gunners too.

Arkanauts: the basic guys do what you would expect them to - screen and speed bump for your guns. Even the skypike ones, who might get a decent hit in first, are only a delaying tactic and I only upgrade if I have 15 spare points. The skyhook guns are a bit meh for me, too much for not enough, but I have to say the volleygun arkanauts are little stars, especially if you take multiples. I have taken as many as 4, and the criticals can really start stacking up. These are definitely not to be overlooked.

Thunderers: These are a mixed bag in my experience. The aethercannons are capable of big damage, and are generally reliable - benefit the most from the leader triple too, so worth keeping at least one near.  The fumigator is quite versatile, because it has no minimum range, so you can use it against whatever your target is not (range/melee). The decksweeper is ok, better against chaff, but I find myself consistently not taking mortars, and the standard rifle is just bad.

abilities: Doubles (get converted into triples if I haven’t already got at least one!) are mainly used for Rush (since onslaught no longer affects guns), with fortitude and drillbill being situational need only. Triples - Fight for profit is great, Keep your distance is great, and of course Respite is sometimes handy. Feels like triples is where it’s at for KO. Quads are just Rampages - always awesome: get to range, then open fire.

Anyway, just some thoughts in case anyone else is using them - as usual, only my experience, ymmv.

Edited by Baron Wastelands
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Im 3 games in and undefeated so far:)

Yes the "Fight for Profit" triple is total money for this warband,,plant your leader near an objective and blast away with whoever you can!,,stock thunderers are good to keep in range,though ive wrecked with the fumigator and the Aethermatic saw is a face remover with all the extra attacks.Stock Arkenauts are good,though I like run one with the skypike,that 2" range can keep him protected from combat at times.Riggers are a must for the warband,,im sticking with the Mizzenmaster even though hes 265 pts..hes fast enough to get out of trouble and at 26 wounds is likely to get a chance to escape if needed.

Overall I really like this warband,the mobilitie and shooting really makes for some varied gameplay tactics.

Hi! Can I pick your brain? I have two lists, one more elite. Do you think this elite one will work?

Decksweeper (130)

Volley Pistol and Arkanaut Cutter (170)

the 195 guy w/ bird (sorry I don’t know the name!)

drill cannon (220)

skypike (260)

Edited by Lovehatter

3 hours ago, Lovehatter said:

Hi! Can I pick your brain? I have two lists, one more elite. Do you think this elite one will work?

Decksweeper (130)

Volley Pistol and Arkanaut Cutter (170)

the 195 guy w/ bird (sorry I don’t know the name!)

drill cannon (220)

skypike (260)

You’ve got 3 leaders in there, so no 😁

you can only have one warrior with the leader runemark, so you’ll need to choose between the ones valued 170, 195 and 260 in your list above. The good new is that gives you more points for other stuff! The decksweeper thunderer and balloon rider drill cannon are both solid picks.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lovehatter said:

Sorry! I got confused with the leader runemark and the other one. I appreciate your help I’m a little lost... lol. 

decksweeper (130)

Cannon (175)

Skyhook (205)

Aethermatic volley gun (205)

Sky pike (260)

Personally, I don’t think the volleygun is worth it on such an expensive model as (either of) the balloonrider(s). However, for almost the same price, you can get 2x arkanauts with volleyguns, for double the shots. I’d also upgrade the skyhook to a drill cannon, since you have the points spare. Will still leave you a very elite list.

• LOVE IT! 1

15 minutes ago, Baron Wastelands said:

Personally, I don’t think the volleygun is worth it on such an expensive model as (either of) the balloonrider(s). However, for almost the same price, you can get 2x arkanauts with volleyguns, for double the shots. I’d also upgrade the skyhook to a drill cannon, since you have the points spare. Will still leave you a very elite list.

Thank you so much! I appreciate it 

I'm currently running this list:

Thunderer Leader -good stats and can use the bird Double -175
Skywarden - 2" melee is nice and no minimum range on pistol -mobile -200
Endrinrigger -slightly better melee and no minimum range on pistol -mobile -205
Thunderer with aethercannon - great damage-dealer -175
Arkanaut with skypike - 2" melee, but no range - helps block and clear models within 3" of the shooters  -85
Arkanaut with volleygun - low Str, but many shots!    -105

Though only having 6 models can be tough as you'll be out-activated, two balloons is worth it for mobility and almost everyone can shoot.  Will likely add more Arkanauts with volleyguns as I get a territory, but having some low-cost Arkanauts may be helpful for controlling objectives and having activations.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FractalRain said:

I'm currently running this list:

Arkanaut with skypike - 2" melee, but no range - helps block and clear models within 3" of the shooters  -85

Though only having 6 models can be tough as you'll be out-activated, two balloons is worth it for mobility and almost everyone can shoot.  Will likely add more Arkanauts with volleyguns as I get a territory, but having some low-cost Arkanauts may be helpful for controlling objectives and having activations.

Do you find that 6 guys is decent even against more hoard armies?

1 hour ago, Lovehatter said:

Do you find that 6 guys is decent even against more hoard armies?

It is certainly a concern of mine and that is what I'm hoping to find out.  I played against LoN and he had 10 models (and brought back 3) and I won, but it was defensive and easier for me.  I also played 3 games against Daemons of Tzeentch and tied 1 and narrowly lost 2 others.  The ability for the Pink/Blue Horrors to split is tough to deal with - you have to focus fire and kill them, because if you leave them wounded, they can split .  So as I learn how best to use my KO, I'm hoping to find out what strategies will work best vs the larger numbers!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've been having success with the following list, lately:

Thunderer leader

Thunderer w/ Aethercannon

Skywarden w/ Skypike

2x Arkanaut w/Aethermatic Volley Cannon

Arkanaut w/Skypike

2x Arkanauts

I think it strikes a nice balance between elite shooting and boots on the ground. Having the melee component has proven crucial. And the Arkanaut w/ Volley Cannon is absurdly good, in my experience. That thing just straight up murders dudes. The plain Arkanauts aren't amazing, but they run forward and gum up the works nicely.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

How have everyone's games been going?!

I have been playing through A Bad Investment with a bunch of friends, using a pretty elite list:
- Mizzenmaster
- Endrinrigger w/Aethermatic Saw
- Endrinrigger w/Grapnel Launcher
- Thunderer w/Aethershot Rifle 

Some of my thoughts:
- The grapnel launcher's mobility is handy to threaten pretty much any point on the board, even though it's profile kinda sucks. With that said, I'm not sure if I would be getting more value out of another Aethermatic Saw.
- Fight for Profit! is our bread and butter. Super potent on profiles like the Thunderer w/Aethercannon.
- Endrinriggers with saws are great at playing the role of speedy assassins.
- The ability to fly means that we can use verticality to our advantage, creating space where we need it.
- If you get your Thunderers in a good spot, don't be afraid to just leave em there and start blasting!

• 1 month later...

Hi Admirals.

Next match i will try this warband:

Shield:
Gunnery Sergeant
Thunderer Aethercannon
Arkanaut Skypike

Hammer:
Arkanaut volley gun
Endrinrigger grapnel launcher

Knife:
Arkanaut volley gun

How do you think? I sacrifice good melee balons to high mobility and other guys shot all enemy.

23 hours ago, Carturello said:

Hi Admirals.

Next match i will try this warband:

Shield:
Gunnery Sergeant
Thunderer Aethercannon
Arkanaut Skypike

Hammer:
Arkanaut volley gun

Knife:
Arkanaut volley gun

How do you think? I sacrifice good melee balons to high mobility and other guys shot all enemy.

The grapnel launchers are not worth the points imo.

I tried this list in 2 matches, against daughters and corvus. I am satisfied, but I have to try it again

grundstock sergeant 195
endrigger with saw 205
endrigger with drill launcher 210
grundstock with aethercannon175
arkanaut with volley gun 105
arkanaut 65
arkanaut with skypike

It is a mix of speed, shoot and a minimum of melee.

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone!

Has anyone here tried using KO in a champion's mode (or whatever it's called) campaign? If so, how have you found them? I'm starting a new league soon using those rules and picked KO to play, but don't know if the mode differences changes things. For example - do any of the units get particularly bad if they get an injury? Is the Grundstock sergeant still a good basis as a leader? Presumably shooting is still good, but should more melee get mixed in to mitigate any injuries?

On 9/29/2020 at 12:07 PM, Docthe3rd said:

Hello everyone!

Has anyone here tried using KO in a champion's mode (or whatever it's called) campaign? If so, how have you found them? I'm starting a new league soon using those rules and picked KO to play, but don't know if the mode differences changes things. For example - do any of the units get particularly bad if they get an injury? Is the Grundstock sergeant still a good basis as a leader? Presumably shooting is still good, but should more melee get mixed in to mitigate any injuries?

Yes, I played with them in Champion Mode and it was just fine.  You may get injuries and there are some artifacts which can heal those in the treasure charts.  Otherwise, it really depends on the injury roll, just like any other warband!  I found the Grundstock Thunderer sergeant was still good for me and I went with mostly shooting, but took one arkanaut with skypike for melee, along with an endrinrigger with standard build.  My warband build is above, but I'll repost here for convenience:

Thanks for the help! My list actually was pretty close to yours, so I'm going to take that as a good sign!

One quick random question, since both of them have the same point values... which is the Skywarden and which is the Endrinrigger?

I haven't played the faction yet, and I know they're technically the same kit. Is the Skywarden the one that looks like it has mines coming off of the endrin balloon?

But for the ones with guns, it can be hard to tell. Basically all skywarden variants have the little skymines attached to their endrins, so will have the icon for that ability too on their cards.

I have also been playing KO in Champion mode, and it’s a very similar experience - seem to draw dusk and dawn more often, but I’m sure that’s just a coincidence! The grundstok sergeant is the best leader by far in my experience, I also recommend at least one aether cannon and a couple of volley guns, add a sprinkling of melee to taste. The move of 3 can really hurt the arkanauts with skypikes though, especially if they don’t come on at the start, or close to the action. I tend to take melee ballooners (either kind) because their move is just so great, even if you’re only looking to tie up enemy shooters.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2020 at 6:39 AM, Baron Wastelands said:

But for the ones with guns, it can be hard to tell. Basically all skywarden variants have the little skymines attached to their endrins, so will have the icon for that ability too on their cards.

I have also been playing KO in Champion mode, and it’s a very similar experience - seem to draw dusk and dawn more often, but I’m sure that’s just a coincidence! The grundstok sergeant is the best leader by far in my experience, I also recommend at least one aether cannon and a couple of volley guns, add a sprinkling of melee to taste. The move of 3 can really hurt the arkanauts with skypikes though, especially if they don’t come on at the start, or close to the action. I tend to take melee ballooners (either kind) because their move is just so great, even if you’re only looking to tie up enemy shooters.

Thanks for the help! I'd thought that the mines were skywardens, but kept second guessing myself every time I looked at the card. 

I'm hoping to mitigate the movement issues through a house rule my group is doing (namely that, for  victory condition and twist, you draw 3 and then each player gets to get rid of one of them), but I can see the movement of 3 really hurting (it's why I don't play armators in my Iron Golem war band...) 

• 2 months later...