Slaves to Darkness questions!

PiotrW

Hello, guys!

With all this new StD material and models GW is releasing, I've started wondering about things... And so, I thought I'd ask a few questions. Can you help?

1. What's your opinion on the current version of this army? Interesting or not?

2. Is it possible to make a legal StD army with just the Warcry warbands, the Darkoath folk and a few monsters? Or are the Chaos Marauders / Warriors / Knights still essential?

3. The minis in the Start Collecting StD set are new designs, right?

4. Is there any possibility for using StD as Skaven allies?

5. Do you think that the new monsters (Mindstealer kitty, Fomoroid Crusher) will be permanently available, or will they be hard to get after the initial release?

6. An StD army of 2000 points with Slaaneshi Daemonettes as the sole Battleline units. Is this legal, or do allied Battleline units not count in regards to filling the Battleline quota?

I'd be grateful for your opinions!

1. I don't play the army but they are my favorite chaos army.

2. No, warcry warbands are not battleline unfortunately.The Warhammer Community site put out an article building an army with all the warcry warbands and used chariots for battleline, so that is an option. https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/12/12/slaves-to-darkness-the-warcry-armygw-homepage-post-4/

3. The new start collecting is all new designs, yes. 

4. Not sure, would have to check the ghb.

5. Probably permanently available, GW has given no inclination otherwise and they are a regular warcry release. 

6. No allies cannot fill the battline role. You would need StD battline or you could mark the StD units Slannesh and run the army with the Slannesh alligence. 

Edited by Pariah
autocorrect

8 hours ago, Death1942 said:

FYI for future reference there are sub topics dedicated to each faction so you should use those for posts like this.

The subtopics are good general chatter threads for the factions, however sometimes if you've got specific questions or ideas or want to talk about something more in depth, a thread can be far better. The big chatter sections can easily get distracted or move off point from a question onto other areas. So if you're after something specific it can get lost or even overlooked. 

Site organisation wise we won't push people/force them to use those big threads, if a single faction starts to get a lot of threads and attention we are more likely to simply open a subsection for them to contain them rather than force people itno single mega threads

• Like 1

Sorry if I'm creating too many threads... I really hope it's okay.

Anyway - thanks for the answers, Pariah :) Hmmm... I've looked at the newest StD's Start Collecting! set a bit closer. Is it true that the set features female heads? Female Chaos Warriors could be interesting...

Still: hmmmm. I admit I'm not very fond of aesthetics of this set: plate-armoured Chaos Warriors, Chaos Knights with lances etc. For some reason, this is not what I'm picturing when I think of Chaos. Especially not knights with lances, even if clad in scary armour. If I was to field Chaos-aligned riders, I'd prefer to field the Varanguard...

What I might be interesting in doing is an army with the Darkoath barbarians, maybe with some of the Warcry folk - and some cool monsters big monsters. Not sure how to create such an army without having to use the StD's "ironclads" (Warriors / Knights / Chariots) that are also this faction's Battleline units..?

2 hours ago, PiotrW said:

Sorry if I'm creating too many threads... I really hope it's okay.

Anyway - thanks for the answers, Pariah :) Hmmm... I've looked at the newest StD's Start Collecting! set a bit closer. Is it true that the set features female heads? Female Chaos Warriors could be interesting...

Still: hmmmm. I admit I'm not very fond of aesthetics of this set: plate-armoured Chaos Warriors, Chaos Knights with lances etc. For some reason, this is not what I'm picturing when I think of Chaos. Especially not knights with lances, even if clad in scary armour. If I was to field Chaos-aligned riders, I'd prefer to field the Varanguard...

What I might be interesting in doing is an army with the Darkoath barbarians, maybe with some of the Warcry folk - and some cool monsters big monsters. Not sure how to create such an army without having to use the StD's "ironclads" (Warriors / Knights / Chariots) that are also this faction's Battleline units..?

Have a look at marauder horsemen they might fit the style you want.  There are loads of websites for head swaps if you want different heads for your army. 

Marauders are arguably the best battleline unit STD has so you can easily field a whole army without the plate wearing guys. 

1 hour ago, Death1942 said:

Have a look at marauder horsemen they might fit the style you want.  There are loads of websites for head swaps if you want different heads for your army.

Marauders are arguably the best battleline unit STD has so you can easily field a whole army without the plate wearing guys. 

My problem with the Marauders (and Marauder Horsemen) is that they are... dated. Okay, I may be weird, but the look of the minis is a big part of this hobby to me. And Marauders don't look like anything I'd have fun assembling / painting / playing with...

Looking at other StD units... alright, the Chariots aren't that bad :) I might pick one of them, if I went with StD.

Guys, a question: are there any news / rumours about GW updating the StD models aside from the Start Collecting! set? Are there going to be updated sets of Knights or Warriors sold separately? If anything, both of these units have weapon options that aren't included in the SC! box. I'd definitely be more interested in Knights if I could field them with blades, not lances.

(I know, I'm kind of ****** about these lances the SC! Knights have, but they completely break the suspension of disbelief for me. Lances aren't normal melee weapons, medieval knights that used them also had secondary weapons to use after the initial charge. GW did it right with the Varanguard, as they have believable heavy spears, not unwieldy lances...)