OBR has allies in Wrath of the Everchosen

Nightseer2012

OBR has allies in the story of Wrath of the Everchosen

-Only a minor spoiler for WotE ahead, nothing about the conclusion.  People who comment please avoid spoilers as well-

So in the story of the book, one of the first things Katakros does in his plan to seize the Eightpoints is realize his units will hard pressed to push through the defenses of Chaos’ Dreadholds.  In a move a smart general would make, he sends word to Lady Olynder to lead her procession as a vanguard for his forces as they can pass through the walls and gates with ease, and open the way for his soldiers.  In the first battle, the death alliance even raises the bodies of the dead chaos defenders as zombies as send them through the Endgate as chaff to cover the OBR advance.

This happens several times, showing narratively, that Katakros is not above using other types of undead when he rightly realizes that they would be better tools for the job than his elite troops.  He willingly initiates alliances with Nighthaunt and Deathmages (who made zombies for him).  Let OBR use, and be, allies on the tabletop.  It would only take one sentence to solve the “relentless discipline for command abilities” problem, by not letting RDP be used for command abilities of non OBR units.  

It remains one of the more disappointing choices in my eyes that Nagash’s view of a united undead-topia are spearheaded by a force unable to take or be allied in other forces, solely because of poor design choices.

• Like 1

Well that's not really allies then but more like multiple Death players coordinating their 3 dfferent armies to attack the chaos strongholds and works with the narrative.

I won't disagree though that with allies it should be the more the merrier like how Stormcasts, Ironjawz* and Varanguard are elite ally lynchpins for their respective Alliances. Unique army ally customization is an awesome part of Age of Sigmar.

At least they take Mercenaries which by the next book should get a nice boost and up their options.

Edit: *Though Troggoths fit this better outside a Destruction grand alliance for Matched.

Edited by Baron Klatz

33 minutes ago, Baron Klatz said:

I won't disagree though that with allies it should be the more the merrier like how Stormcasts, Ironjawz and Varanguard are elite ally lynchpins for their respective Alliances. Unique army ally customization is an awesome part of Age of Sigmar.

Didnt realise I could ally in Ironjawz 🤔

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Baron Klatz said:

Well that's not really allies then but more like multiple Death players coordinating their 3 dfferent armies to attack the chaos strongholds and works with the narrative.

I won't disagree though that with allies it should be the more the merrier like how Stormcasts, Ironjawz and Varanguard are elite ally lynchpins for their respective Alliances. Unique army ally customization is an awesome part of Age of Sigmar.

At least they take Mercenaries which by the next book should get a nice boost and up their options.

So at that point it is arguing scale?  I suppose, but it feels like a poor excuse to me (on their part, not yours).  And unless mercenaries get that boost, they are as similarly unusable as GA: Death. 

It just seems like for every other Ally chart, the alliances are based on Narrative, but for OBR it is based on mechanics design, since Katakros doesn’t seem to mind working with others as long as he wins.

Yeah, there's a hubris about them being the cream of the elite as an army of "heroes" as Nagash's personal guard with Katakros having his own arrogance but it does feel like a missed opportunity. They could've just kept the superiority views to certain Sub-factions like the Skaven, Cities of Sigmar and recent Kharadron tome.

We'll see how things go down the line as more factions come to light and Nagash has to change things around for his legions and Ossiarchs step down from the spotlight.

Just now, Walrustaco said:

Haha, fair point!

Outside of a Destruction grand alliance for Matched Play I guess Troggoths are the ultimate bros of Gorkamorka's armies in being both elite and allies to the majority. :D 

Edited by Baron Klatz

55 minutes ago, Walrustaco said:

Story wise Ironjawz and Ogors are in many of the great Cities of Sigmar and trade and work for many factions of Order. Meanwhile Death and Order live side by side, mostly in the Realm of Death. 

It's really only chaos who stands apart, even then its mostly the full chaos forces. Technically many of the "dark oath" style forces could even stand with order if they went against the corrupting influence of hidden gods (greater demons). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nightseer2012 said:

So at that point it is arguing scale?  I suppose, but it feels like a poor excuse to me (on their part, not yours).  And unless mercenaries get that boost, they are as similarly unusable as GA: Death. 

It just seems like for every other Ally chart, the alliances are based on Narrative, but for OBR it is based on mechanics design, since Katakros doesn’t seem to mind working with others as long as he wins.

To be fair in the actual storyline OBR and Nighthaunt never fight together - they are in the same campaign but never engaged at the same place so fluff wise it is not that big of a discrepancy. It is the same as Stormcast has fought side by side with Vampires and Destruction in the various novels - definitely not allies but with a common interest. 

• Like 3