Path of the Changer

Changer

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Dwarf team is finally finished, except the deathroller when forge world finally release it.

For March I've pledged that in addition to the team I'll also do the bases and vortexes for the skyfires, enlightened and the Tzaangor shaman. I had thought to make a start on them this week, but I've now got a game arranged for Thursday against the new vanguard stormcast. I don't like to play with unvarnished models - the layers of paint I apply are generallly very thin so even transporting seems to result in paint rubbing off.

Because of this I've decided to paint my Brimstone Horrors. The theory behind this is that they're only smal so shouldn't take too long to do.

Needless to say, me and Brimstone Horrors don't get along too well.

I originally attempted to paint some to go on the base of Magnus, but the idea of reverse highlights resulted in some shite paint jobs. This week I've been through a few more Brimstones, not being able to get something that I'm actually happy with. Today I feel I've finally gotten somewhere, which is good because I'd ran out of Silver Tower Brimstones and had to put paint onto models I needed for the unit!

I'll hopefully have the other nine done tomorrow.

IMG_2763.JPG

IMG_2769.JPG

IMG_2953.JPG

IMG_2954.JPG

IMG_2955.JPG

IMG_2956.JPG

IMG_2957.JPG

IMG_2958.JPG

IMG_2959.JPG

IMG_2962.JPG

IMG_2963.JPG

IMG_2965.JPG

17 minutes ago, Routasydän said:

How did you paint the skin on the dwarves? Looks so simple and nice :)

Ive got my Dwarf Giants to paint too at some point :D

It's the old Tallern Flesh, shaded with Reikland Fleshshade, recessed with Agrax Earthshade.  Then Tallern Flesh layered, then Tallern Flesh / Ushabti Bone 80/20, 60/40, 40/60, then edged with pure Ushabti Bone.

Seems like a lot of layers but actually takes no time at all.

19 minutes ago, Crowsfoot said:

I've just gone through your blog from start to finish and what a joy, you have an exceptional eye for detail, crisp highlights and smooth blends.

Some of the best models I have seen and what an amazing army, love them all.

Thanks very much - I'm glad you've enjoyed it so far!

2 hours ago, Crowsfoot said:

I've just gone through your blog from start to finish and what a joy, you have an exceptional eye for detail, crisp highlights and smooth blends.

Some of the best models I have seen and what an amazing army, love them all.

He's not wrong

While I'm at it do you mind if I ask your recipe for the metallics on those dwarves? There's something about it I just can't put my finger on.

Also, I really miss tallarn flesh. Cadian flesh tone just isn't quite as adaptable in my experience

16 minutes ago, ZealousJ said:

While I'm at it do you mind if I ask your recipe for the metallics on those dwarves? There's something about it I just can't put my finger on.

Also, I really miss tallarn flesh. Cadian flesh tone just isn't quite as adaptable in my experience

Of course.  It's Retributer Armour, washed with Reikland Fleshshade, then Agrax Earthshade in the recesses.  Then it's simply Retributer Armour thinned with medium, layered but not covering all of the flat surfaces.  Same again with Liberator Armour, leaving more of the Retributer underneath.  Then finally every.....single....edge.... in Mithril Silver.

7 minutes ago, Changer said:

Of course.  It's Retributer Armour, washed with Reikland Fleshshade, then Agrax Earthshade in the recesses.  Then it's simply Retributer Armour thinned with medium, layered but not covering all of the flat surfaces.  Same again with Liberator Armour, leaving more of the Retributer underneath.  Then finally every.....single....edge.... in Mithril Silver.

Hah! Thanks very much.

It seems the difference between both your flesh and gold and my attempts is the second shade of agrax earthshade in the recesses.

I'll give that a try tonight

I've got a game tomorrow against the Stormcast Vanguard. It'll only be my second game since the DoT dropped. While packing away my models I remembered that I only had 4 great weapons in my 20 man Tzaangor unit. Not exactly optimised. Also, my Twistbray was wielding a sword and shield. I know it's because I made the models before the rules came out. Anyway, tonight I opted to re-convert the Twistbray using spares from the Enlightned kit. I've then added the greataxe blade instead of the spear because, well, Tzeentch only grants those spears to enlightened!!

Anyway, some before and after pics below. Note that he still needs some greenstuff, but I'll do that when I get around to painting him.

IMG_2980.JPG

IMG_2981.JPG

IMG_2982.JPG

IMG_2983.JPG

Here's a test for the magical vortexes that come out of the discs of Tzeentch. I was a little unsure about what direction to go with these. I had thought about painting them to look like fire, but they actually don't look like fire, and I thought it might look a bit daft.

I then thought of yellow: it's in my colour scheme, and the Tzaangor riding discs wouldn't have loads of yellow on them. But then I thought that I quite like leaving yellow for cloth areas.

Finally I've settled for a very light blue. It's blue so is in the colour scheme, but would be different from both the armour and the flesh of the Tzaangor. I was a little messy painting the rock areas of the bases, which meant I had to touch up the corax white that I'd undercoated the models with. It turns out that's ulthuan grey is pretty much the same colour as corax white. Winner!

The 'White' was then washed with Temple Guar Blue diluted with medium, and then rehightled with Ulthan Grey, then Ceremite White, and finally dots of skull white. I don't use Ceremite White a lot but I've found the slightly off white finish it gives works well and allows me to add that further spot highlight.

Now, I'm not 100% sold on this colour for the vortexes. I'd like to C&C please. Note that I would like to use the same colour on all of my vortexes / displays of magic for this force going forward.

IMG_2988.JPG

IMG_2989.JPG

IMG_2990.JPG

I've been following for awhile and you've definitely done some amazing work but one of the first things I noticed when I saw the new Tzaangors on disc was that they've got the design of the discs on top of something else.

I think they'd look far better with the translucent flying base pegs.

This is just my opinion, otherwise great work so far.

I really like how youve painted the disc thingie but it feels kinda plain compared to the rest of the army :) needs a dash more colour Id say, like a green or purple glaze here and there or something. Nicely painted but plain(ish) compared to all the bright colours in your army.

2 hours ago, Routasydän said:

I really like how youve painted the disc thingie but it feels kinda plain compared to the rest of the army :) needs a dash more colour Id say, like a green or purple glaze here and there or something. Nicely painted but plain(ish) compared to all the bright colours in your army.

That's not a bad idea - I'll give it a go tonight.

I really like that vortex / plume/ majigger. I think they probably need to be a little more plan than the rest of your scheme as it's not really where you want the eye to be drawn. It's tonaly similar to the rest of your army without being too distracting.

3 hours ago, ZealousJ said:

I really like that vortex / plume/ majigger. I think they probably need to be a little more plan than the rest of your scheme as it's not really where you want the eye to be drawn. It's tonaly similar to the rest of your army without being too distracting.

You make a good point.  Also of note is that currently the discs sit higher than they will once they're finished.  This is because I've currently magnetised them so I can actually game with them.  When the bottom half of the disc is completed I'll be removing the magnets, which means they'll sit around 5-6mm closer to the vortex.  The aim is to draw the eye to the Tzaangor(s) atop the discs, so maybe keeping the vortexes simple will suffice.

Guess I'll need to do some experimenting.

Archived