Path of the Changer

Changer

Well, the new Tzaangors seem to be awesome. I'm loving the shaman in particular. I'm not entirely sure why the brayhorn guy should have no weapon though (as shown on the community page). The one I've done I've converted to have an axe. Oh well I'm sure it'll be fine when the rules come out.

Anyway, I've finished painting the fourth Tzaangor this evening. I'll be knocking bases together for the four over the next few days and then that'll be it until after Christmas.

Im pretty sure I'm getting Magnus; my wife has been very coy about it. I know he's a 40k model, but would it be ok to post my progress of him here? Or should I just leave it?

IMG_2569.JPG

IMG_2570.JPG

IMG_2571.JPG

IMG_2572.JPG

IMG_2574.JPG

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And so I've based, varnished, and snowed the Tzaangors. I'm overall very happy with how this force is coming together. I'm hoping that I'll be able to use everything together when the DoT book drops in January.

I'll leave you with a picture of everything completed in the last four months. It may not be a lot, but I'm happy with it.

And with that I want to wish you all a Merry Christmas, and Happy Holidays.  I'll see you after Santa has been!!

IMG_2576.JPG

IMG_2582.JPG

IMG_2583.JPG

IMG_2584.JPG

IMG_2585.JPG

IMG_2586.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I hope you've all had a good Christmas and New Year. My wife got me Magnus for Christmas, and although I'm not going to bombard this thread with stage by stage images etc due to him not being AoS, I thought I'd post a quick update to show you where I'm up to after 5 days of painting him.

My wife told me that I should go for the yellow to purple blend on each feather, so like the dutiful husband that is the direction I've gone. You may also notice that I've gone for blue armour and a yellow tabard. The idea is that all of my Tzeentch forces will match on some way. So they'll all have the same colour armour, robes / cloth, and feathers will play a part.

Ultra scary freehand on the tabard is next...

Enough waffle, here's some pictures.

IMG_2682.JPG

IMG_2683.JPG

IMG_2684.JPG

5 minutes ago, Changer said:

I hope you've all had a good Christmas and New Year. My wife got me Magnus for Christmas, and although I'm not going to bombard this thread with stage by stage images etc due to him not being AoS, I thought I'd post a quick update to show you where I'm up to after 5 days of painting him.

My wife told me that I should go for the yellow to purple blend on each feather, so like the dutiful husband that is the direction I've gone. You may also notice that I've gone for blue armour and a yellow tabard. The idea is that all of my Tzeentch forces will match on some way. So they'll all have the same colour armour, robes / cloth, and feathers will play a part.

Ultra scary freehand on the tabard is next...

Enough waffle, here's some pictures.

IMG_2682.JPG

IMG_2683.JPG

IMG_2684.JPG

Looking good so far, blending scares the pants off me but yours looks so good im kinda inspired to try it

Amazing thread- loving the paint jobs so much I just had to sign up and ask a couple questions!

Whats your pink recipe- specifically the pink horror/ herald skin?

i notice you use a grey primer- which brand is it?

thanks in advance!

2 hours ago, LLV said:

Amazing thread- loving the paint jobs so much I just had to sign up and ask a couple questions!

Whats your pink recipe- specifically the pink horror/ herald skin?

i notice you use a grey primer- which brand is it?

thanks in advance!

Thanks for your comments.

The pink recipe is really easy, although a little backwards.

Basecoat of Pink Horror.

Washed with heavily diluted Screamer Pink.

Pink Horror highlighted up to Emperors Children - keep adding a brushtip of Emperors Children to a heavily watered down Pink Horror and glaze it on.

Emperors Children highlighted up to Screaming Skull - same as above, but with Screaming Skull.

It takes a little time, but looks good in the end.  You need to make sure you get a solid coat of Pink Horror before you start - to be honest it's probably a good idea to basecoat in Screamer Pink before Pink Horror.

The grey undercoat is from Halfords.  It's cheap enough and comes in a bigger tin that the GW undercoats.  I started using it about a year ago and haven't looked back since.

Thanks for the tip- I will definitely give it a go. Ill have to try and source some decent grey primer here in Canada. I've just gotten back into 'the hobby' but before used GW black primer with a dusting of white primer to preshade. Works well for most things but the pink on the horrors is so bright I think the black left in recesses would be a pain. 

Lovely work once again.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all. Just wanted to show that I've not been idol for the past few weeks. Magnus' body is almost complete. Just the hair to do on him, then the book, cloth, base and wings. Actually, still loads to do! 

Anyway, looks like Magnus is going to stand in as a sword armed lord of change when my disciples book comes next week. I didn't opt to buy any of the arcanites as I want to focus on the Tzaangor element first. Looks like all of the special weapons hit the same, and the split head is the mutant. I'm going to buy another box of Tzaangors next week so I can make a 20 man and a 10 man unit fully kitted out. 

Looking at the warscroll would I be better having 20 dual hand weapons, or 20 with shields?

IMG_2725.JPG

IMG_2726.JPG

Magnus is coming along nicely.

The Warscroll says you can mix and match dual weapon and shield. Mutants have to dual wield, so in fact, if you want mutants and any shields at all, you have to mix and match.

I'd say, as many grand weapons and mutants as you can fit, with any remaining Tzaangor with shields.

Personally I will put grand weapons on my command, since they will be the last to go. As far as I can see, any command models including the Twistbray can instead be mutants, which may be fluffier, after all Tzzangor are going to give their most twisted members the important jobs. I certainly wouldn't put shields on commands, as they are about as likely to be lost to battleshock as to damage and the shields will not help against that.

They have gone down a very fiddly rout with the unit, but I have vented my disappointment about that elsewhere. On the upside, there is a lot of conversion potential with mutants.

So, looking at the Tzaangor warscroll it looks like shields are the way to go. Max out on special weapons and mutants, then the rest shields.

Having not even seen the book yet, I know I want at least a 20 man and a 10 man unit. I currently have 26 Tzaangors and am intending to buy another box on Wednesday.

Im currently thinking:

20 man unit:

champion, sword and shield.

brayhorn, dual combat weapons.

Banner, shield.

4 mutants.

8 special weapons.

5 shields.

10 man unit:

champion with special weapon.

brayhorn with dual weapons.

banner, shield.

2 mutants.

3 other special weapons.

2 shields.

Not completely optimised, but close enough and will still look good on the battlefield. That will leave 6 Tzaangors in my current collection that I'll maintain with dual weapons, especially as I've already painted one!

Mutants seem to be based on the split head from the box, but having 6 of those is a little boring. So, a little conversion is in order. Fortunately I've got plenty of bits left over from the horrors, screamers etc I have. I've also got bits left over from the old Forsaken kit. So, with that in mind, here are the first 4 mutants. One of which is basic and uses the split head.

IMG_2735.JPG

IMG_2736.JPG

IMG_2737.JPG

IMG_2738.JPG

This week will be pre orders of the Shaman and at least 2 boxes of skyfires.  Next week I think will be daemons so some blue and brimestone horrors, and maybe the new lord of change.  I had planned on using Magnus, and he's a great proxy for the sword armed Lord of Change; but I kind of want the machine gun rod, so may just have to buy one!

• 2 weeks later...

I need to start painting my Tzaangors, and this is incredibly inspiring! Thanks for the detailed paint recipes too. Will do a heavy dose of copying as  I have horrible eye for color.

I like the blue flames on Magnus' weapon. Mind sharing how you did those? Also the colours for the screamers?

8 hours ago, Deathadder99 said:

I like the blue flames on Magnus' weapon. Mind sharing how you did those? Also the colours for the screamers?

Quite simple really.  Temple Guard Blue, highlighted up by adding White all of the time up to pure white.  Then just a wash of heavily diluted Temple Guard Blue to tone it down again.

The Screamers follow the same recipe as my blue armour - Kantor Blue, washed with 50:50 Kantor:Black, Kantor Blue, blended with Altdorf Guard Blue, through to Fenrisian Grey, then final highlights of 50:50 (50:50 Altdorf Guard Blue:Fenrisian Grey):White.

Hope that makes sense!

6 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

I love the mutants! The tail in particular adds loads. You should convert stuff more often! :D 

Thanks! The mutants still need green stuff work, but I'm planning to do all of that once I've finished assembling the 6 Skyfires, 3 Enlighted, Shaman I get this week, and the extra horrors I need for my 2k list next week.  Oh, and after I finish Magnus... and my Dwarf Blood Bowl team which I'll order this week......

11 minutes ago, Soulsmith said:

Any chance of a list? I am curious to see more DoT lists that aren't pure daemons or fatesworn.

Sure.  The 2000 list I'm going to be building towards is this:

Lord of Change - General (Incorporeal Form), Wellspring of Arcane Might, Tzeentch's Firestorm - 300

Gaunt Summoner and Familiars - Glimpse the Future - 120

Tzaangor Shaman - Treason of Tzeentch - 120

Ogroid Traumaturge - Timeslip Pendant, Treacherous Bond - 160

20 Tzaangor - 360

6 Skyfires - 320

3 Enlightened on Discs - 160

Tzaangor Coven - 40

10 Pink Horrors - Unchecked Mutation - 140

10 Pink Horrors - Bolt of Tzeentch - 140

20 Blue Horrors - 100

10 Brimstone Horrors - 40

Lots of models on the board, loads of spells and a good number of shooting attacks.  Pinks can split into Blues if they are under strength and then regain horrors with battleshock (hopefully).  Blues can split into Brimstones if they've taken some hits.  I thought about adding a Chaos Sorcerer into the list, but then I'd have to lose 30 models which are they pretty much to bubble wrap my important stuff, and for the Ogroid to cast Treacherous Bond on.  It's a list I haven't tried yet, as the models haven't arrived as yet.  I'm hoping to have my first game in a few weeks once the Blue and Brimstone Horrors have been released.

Archived