Path of the Changer

Changer

Its kinda weird why they just didnt make the Tzaangors a dual kit for AoS and 40k straight, dont think the bodies themselves have any futuristic bits ot atleast I didnt see any with my glance at the minis. And those pistols and chainswords look so out of place there, its like they made them for AoS and the Tower and later thought hey, lets put some laspistols for these guys and get them to shelves quickly.

Also, beautiful minis :) the snow adds a lot to the dark bases.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TZAANGORS!!!!

Needless to say I picked up my two boxes of Tzaangors today. I opened them in the shop and was a little disappointed not to find a warscroll... or any instructions on how to assemble to sword and shield variants, the banner, the horn, or the cool head that splits down the middle.

Two built; I'm doing ten with dual axes to start with. Once they're done I'll move onto ten with sword and shield.

They are a lovely kit.  Loads of details, but with an unusual amount of mold lines for such a new kit.

IMG_2200.JPG

IMG_2201.JPG

Those Tzaangor are looking very good, though I am sad to hear about the mould lines.

Are you giving them the regular blue skinned look?

That kit is in such weird situation, I wish there was some kind of comunication from GW. I can't really see what more they could add for an AoS. There's no way I am building a unit blind, particularly when I still have so many Slaves to Darkness to complete first. I am still debating myself on just getting a box to snatch some disposable bits of, though.

There are loads and loads of bits. It is an odd situation. I will build mine blind for now. If they're wrong then they're wrong. Rule of cool and all that. 

Heres a prime example. The horn blower (how do you blow a horn with a beak anyway!!). What I'm taking as the horn arm (it's the next number on the sprue, and the cut in the hand fits it) has this weird right hand situation with no weapon in it. It looks like you'd spot a weapon in there, but there isn't anything on the sprue that would go there. Fortunately there are a few single arm pieces, so it's pretty simple to convert a model up by slicing the horn arm chest and putting the arm and chest on in two pieces instead of one. Still, I shouldn't need to convert the model like this, as there should be instructions available for all the bits in the box.

Anyway, this horn blower will just need a little greenstuff and it'll be great.

Just you watch now, tomorrow (today) GW will release a guide online for the AoS bits, as it's the actual release day!!

IMG_2202.JPG

IMG_2203.JPG

IMG_2204.JPG

IMG_2205.JPG

IMG_2206.JPG

As if your paintjobs weren't good enough you're now giving us the first glimpse of what these guys will look like with their AoS weapon options (pretty great by all standards), thanks.

(and I like to think it's not a horn but a sort of curvy megaphone that the Tzaangor is able to screech especially loudly through)

One of the benefits (!?) of having a one year old is early morning hobby whilst he's watching some cartoons. I've finished assembling the first 5 Tzaangors.

You get 2 of each sprue in the box, which means you've actually got options to assemble 2 double handed axes and 2 double handed swords per box. From the looks of things these options use different arms. I love the axe with its mace-like head. I'm just blu-tacing the arms on this as it seems to cover a lot of details that I'll want to paint when the time comes.

A great thing about this kit is that there are 12 different heads (6 with armour and 6 without) and 8 different styles of horns (2 of which are supposed to be for a twistbray). Think of the different combinations!!

IMG_2207.JPG

IMG_2208.JPG

IMG_2209.JPG

IMG_2210.JPG

IMG_2211.JPG

IMG_2212.JPG

I've finished assembling the rest of the unit now. It's a little bit of a shame but some of the legs don't seem to be the best of casts. The detailing is great on the front but seems very shallow on the sides.

Anyway, I've decided to use my Silver Tower Tzaangors in with my units. It'll leave me with a random number of models but I've been looking for an excuse to use the models. I don't want any duplication on the models, so I've converted one of the ST ones with sword and shield to have dual axes. A little greenstuff and it'll look great.

IMG_2214.JPG

IMG_2215.JPG

IMG_2216.JPG

IMG_2217.JPG

IMG_2218.JPG

Final post for today. I've finished assembling all 20 of the Tzaangors. Overall the kit is fantastic. I've opted to not build a musician for the sword and shield unit, as I'll just wait for the instructions to be released to see how on earth those parts are supposed to go together.

I'm going to have use greenstuff some gaps on some of the Tzaangors, mainly the earlier ones when I didn't have any experience putting them together. You'll also notice I've converted each duplicate from the Silver Tower. I'm really happy that I've been able to convert them so they sit in the opposite unit. Just some greenstuff on these models and all will be good.

As my army plan is going to be based on the arcanites, I'm going to hold my progress on the Screamers and instead focus on the Tzaangors. GW have confirmed the sprues are going to be used in AoS so I'm sure we'all be seeing more models early next year.

IMG_2223.JPG

IMG_2224.JPG

IMG_2225.JPG

IMG_2226.JPG

IMG_2227.JPG

90 minutes, my airbrush (I'm a completed novice so just base coats for me) and the wife's hairdryer and I've got 26 Tzaangors base coated in Fenrusian Grey for their skin.

I'm thinking of batch painting the Tzaangors, maybe in batches of 5. I've tried batch painting in the past but found I got bored of doing the same thing time after time. I was trying to batch paint 20 necrons warriors at the time though. I think 5 is a good number. It should mean that I start seeing results fairly quickly.

IMG_2235.JPG

Batchpainting can be fun and then again it can be such a chore too.

Id say that ten minis is max, atleast for me when batchpaintin, if theres much more than that it gets too repetitive imo or takes ages to actually paint couple colours for a horde of twenty minis at the same time.

One other thing to consider imo is how detailed theyre gonna be, if you paint like your own top standard it can become a real pain just to paint the five at the same time but if theres enough washing and drybrushing involved, ten might not even feel too much of work.

Just something I came to notice with my speedpainted Nurgle minis :) 

I rather liked batchpainting with them and with simple techniques I was really happy to get a lot done and quickly.

Yeah I know what you mean. I'm hoping to go for a high standard with these guys, so I might batch paint 5 with basecoats, and then focus on them one at a time when it comes to layering and detailing. It's a pain when I know I should paint them one at a time but I want all 26 to be painted already!!!

That's a good idea.

I think I'll take a few from each unit and paint them together.  If I keep doing that at least a) I'll have a bit of variety when I'm painting them, and b) if I paint groups of them from different units the same, it may add a bit of variety in the unit if I play about with the skin tones, mutation shading colours etc... between the groups I paint.

Ha! So that's lasted a long time!

After a short break with the family I've started to tackle the Tzaangors this evening. I've opted to start with the armour, then work on the skin once I'm happy as this means I'm less likely to make mistakes. I started to do the gold on the 3 shields of the 5 models I'd picked. Then I did the gold on the two handed mace-axe and then it hit me - holy ****** there is a ton of thin detail on these models!!

Gold banding base coated (2 thin coats!) on two Tzaangors and I've already realised that batch painting is not for me. I just wasn't getting any satisfaction with completing a section of a model. So with that I've now focused my efforts on a single Tzaangor - my conversion of the Silver Tower model with two hand weapons. With the banding base coated, I've then base coated the armour in Kantor Blue, washed it with a 50/50 mix of Kantor Blue and Abadon Black, and then glazed multiple layers on Kantor Blue back over the top to start bringing the colour through. The armour will next be glazed with a 50/50 mix of Kantor Blue and Altdorf Guard Blue, before I move onto finishing it with fine line highlights as I've done on the Herald.

As you can see from the images below I've also the washed the gold with Riekland Fleshshade.

Although the blend isn't very pronounced at the moment, I'm really happy with how it's coming along. I've got to say that even though that armour is a bit of a pain in the ****** due to the tiny details it's actually really enjoyable to paint. Hopefully I'll get some more time tomorrow evening (child dependant) to carry on.

IMG_2465.JPG

IMG_2466.JPG

IMG_2467.JPG

A really nice miniature, I like the tentacles in particular. Progress is looking good so far.   I hate painted more than Two models at once, for te exact same reason you dislike painting batches.

I like how the armour works with the skintone, looking forward to seeing the first one finished. 

Ok, I need some help. I've managed to finish this model except for the damned horns. I've not got much experience painting this type of horns, and when I've tried them tonight I was really unhappy with them. So, I've repainted them black and come here.

What do you guys suggest? Colour, technique...

IMG_2507.JPG

IMG_2508.JPG

IMG_2509.JPG

He looks nice and scary.

Sadly I have no experience with painting horns and in fact completely forgot those in my own plans (not that I will get to paint my own Tzaangor anytime soon).

I took a look at the official ones and the horns on those really lacking, particularly the 40k ones look really bad just in fleshtone.

Only thing I can think of would be making them really vibrant and colorful, propably in a contrasting color. Their horns have always been a point of pride for beastmen, so I would consider it only fair to make them a focal point of the model.

Thinking either a dark brown base turning to a strong red or orange towards the tip, or a red/orange base fading to pale bone at the tip.

Or maybe a somewhat different purple from those you have already introduced, for something simpler and less jarring.

Archived