Path of the Changer

Changer

Stomach virus going through the entire family followed by my sons 1st Birthday has meant I've not done much as late.  However, last night I was able to sit down and finish the chariot part of the Burning Chariot.

I ended up repainting the pages of the 'criss-cross' book and I'm much happier with the result.  Similarly I seem to have gotten quicker painting both yellow and the feathers to a standard that I'm really happy with.

Not much else to say, except next I'll be moving back onto the Herald himself so enjoy some pictures.

C&C always welcome.

IMG_1997.JPG

IMG_1998.JPG

IMG_2001.JPG

IMG_2002.JPG

IMG_2007.JPG

IMG_2003.JPG

IMG_2004.JPG

IMG_2005.JPG

IMG_2006.JPG

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Managed to spend a little time today working on the Herald. The pictures don't really do the skin tone justice but suffice to say I'm happy so far. Feathers and fire to do before I attach the Herald to the disc, at which point I'll look at the highlights on the purple areas of the skin which I'm not 100% happy with at the moment.

IMG_2016.JPG

IMG_2017.JPG

IMG_2018.JPG

IMG_2019.JPG

Basing (again!)

As I've previously noted, I'm a stickler for basing. With the work almost done on the Herald, I decided to knock up the base so I could visualise how it's going to look as a whole. I want to use my airbrush to get some base coats on the screamers for the Chariot - I've only used it a few times. However, when I get the airbrush out I might as well have a collection of stuff to do. I'm thinking the base for my Chariot, and whilst I'm at it I may as well base coat the unit of screamers... and their bases...

So, with that in mind I've created the base for the Chariot and I've started putting together the bases for the six screamers. Now, I don't like flying stands. There, I said it. I don't know what it is, but I like a model on a more scenic base than a piece of clear plastic.

For my bases, I've basically layered the cork I've used on the rest of the bases, and stuck a couple of paper clips through the cork and into the plastic base underneath. The paper clips are there to attach the screamers to the bases. From past experience with Eldar Jetbikes I've opted to use two pins per screamer, as this not only attaches them nicely but will stop them from spinning on a single pin. After a little too much drilling, which will require a touch of green stuff on a screamer to hide a hole, I've got two bases ready!

Anyway, enough rambling. What do you think??

IMG_2057.JPG

IMG_2051.JPG

IMG_2052.JPG

IMG_2053.JPG

IMG_2054.JPG

IMG_2055.JPG

IMG_2056.JPG

IMG_2058.JPG

Frustratingly, I've run out of the medium oval bases I use for my screamers, so I've had to mock up the bases for two of the unit on some 40mm rounds. I'll then complete the bases next week when my order for new ovals arrives.

Ive finished attaching the screamers to their cork stands and overall I'm fairly happy with the result. I may trim down some of the cork on the 40mm rounds when I know for sure how they'll look on ovals. Drilling into the length of a screamer fin is a pain in the ******, but it works. Just need to greenstuff some of the holes where I've gone all of the way through, and fill the gaps in the models and then they're ready for the airbrush.

im really happy with how the screamers look with the Chariot!!

IMG_2062.JPG

IMG_2063.JPG

IMG_2064.JPG

IMG_2065.JPG

IMG_2066.JPG

IMG_2067.JPG

IMG_2069.JPG

IMG_2070.JPG

IMG_2071.JPG

IMG_2072.JPG

Tonight I've finished the Herald off. I'm quite happy with how the fire turned out, and the feathers have been quite easy this time around. I suppose that's what happens with practise.

I've spent a little time on the screamers this weekend too, adding lots of thin coats of liquid green stuff to the gaps in the models where the pieces have gone together. I had thought about using regular green stuff, but thought the gaps were too small. Turns out regular green stuff might have been easier, as the liquid variety didn't work quite as well as I wanted it too. Maybe I've been thinning down too much.

IMG_2076.JPG

IMG_2077.JPG

IMG_2078.JPG

IMG_2079.JPG

8 hours ago, CoffeeGrunt said:

I'm out of Likes, have an IOU. That Herald is looking gorgeous as is the disk. :)

Thanks for that - I'm really happy with how it's turning out.

Now I can't see any of the photos I've uploaded to this thread - can anyone else see them?

38 minutes ago, CoffeeGrunt said:

Huh, yeah, weird that. I can't see them either. I personally use Photobucket for linking pics so I have a centralised library. :)

Looks like it's affecting other threads too.  Might be something to do with the image hosting being moved last week.  Hopefully it'll get rectified.

Hopefully these images don't disappear into the ether.

Painted two screamers today, and I'm pretty happy with how they've turned out. Just the base, and the fire to go and that's the Chariot finally done. As you can see, I've also base coated the six screamers.

IMG_2085.JPG

IMG_2089.JPG

IMG_2090.JPG

IMG_2091.JPG

IMG_2092.JPG

A small update today. I've assembled the remaining bases for the screamers, and painted all 7 bases. I've just got the fire on the bottom of the Chariot to do and then it's finished.

I'm still thinking of putting snow on the bases. It would tie the daemons in with my inevitable Thousand Sons invasion of Fenris, and the new snow from GW does seem to be very good.

IMG_2102.JPG

IMG_2103.JPG

10 hours ago, Soulsmith said:

These really are incredible. You deserve a best painted award. I would say I'd like to see some more colour maybe on the screamers but your painting is superb.

I agree about the colour on the Screamers.  I'm going to leave these ones as is, and look at adding some colour to the unit of Screamers I'll be working on next.

1 hour ago, Double Misfire said:

Wow, just got caught up on this thread, some truly jawdropping stuff as always. Do you have any plans for the new Tzaangor kit? (it looks like they come with AoS weapon options)

Definitely.  I'm loving the look of the Tzaangor whose head is split in two.  I'm looking forward to looking at the sprues on the GW website on Saturday so we can see exactly what's in there.  Surely it's got to end up as a dual kit - GW have been really coy in WD about showing you images of the basic hand weapons, so I can only assume that we'll be able to use them in AoS.

I'm also of a mind to purchase Magnus and use him as a Lord of Change; although this may have to wait a while.  I don't want to be half way through painting a model that size only for a full Arcanite release to occur.

Just a small update today. I've started painting the unit of screamers. I'm really struggling with these at the moment. Mainly because I'm not sure how to do the skin for the best. Anyway, here's a few pics of the one screamer I'm fairly happy with.

In happier news, I've order two boxes of Tzaangors from my local GW. After seeing the sprues I just had to get them. I'm going to do 10 with dual axes and 10 with swords and shields. Hopefully their warscroll will be in the box!

IMG_2189.JPG

IMG_2190.JPG

IMG_2191.JPG

Archived