Path of the Changer

Changer

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, M'ygnal_Wyrm_Blessed said:

I love that off white you've given the Gaunt Summoner's tome.  It's a nice change from the slightly flesh colored paper that seems to be standard with GW's painting team.  Mind if I ask how you went about that?

Of course - it's actually from the 'Eavy Metal Masterclass for the Space Marine Librarian.

50:50 Administratum Grey : Ushabti Bone

Karak Stone Wash all over

75:25 Karak Stone : Abaddon Black wash in deepest recesses

50:50 Administratum Grey : Ushabti Bone again, leaving recesses and areas of the paper

50:50 previous mix : White Scar as a blended highlight

White Scar edge highlight

Works a treat - in the past I've done much darker parchment, but I like how these comes out.

I've managed to finish working on the Gaunt Summoner itself over the weekend.

I've ended up doing the fire twice, as the first time around it was far too red.  The staff gave me a good opportunity to practise the pink I'll be using on any Pink Horrors and Heralds in the future - I like to think that the Summoner turned a Horror into his staff because it got in his way.  The skin tones are similar to what I used on Pug, except with more purple glazes towards the top of the face.

Overall I'm really happy with the model as a whole.  However, as is always the way; I'd just finished the model and was (and still am) very happy with it, then I see the European Open Day Slayer Sword Winner...

Next stop, basing.  Once that is sorted, I'm intending to try out a new varnish - the Windsor and Newton Matt rattle can which has come recommended from a mate of mine.

IMG_1776.JPG

IMG_1777.JPG

IMG_1778.JPG

Thanks for the feedback - I really appreciate it.  I'm with you @elfhead, I was a bit unsure when I started doing it myself - I was just sure I wanted yellow robes instead of the standard blue.  I'm really happy with how it came out.

Bases - MkII

I've finally gotten around to sorting out the bases for the force.  In the past when I've used cork on bases I've used really thin stuff.  This was great, but made the rocks really flat and didn't give them enough texture for my liking.  I've picked up some thick cork mats from Ikea, and chopped into them so they're textured across the entire surface.

From there, I decided that I needed to paint up some practise bases.  A Skavenblight Dinge base, a Skavenblight Dinge base with Incubi Darkness rocks, and a Rhinox Hide base with Skavenblight Dinge rocks.  I've opted to go ahead with the Incubi Darkness rocks on the Skavenblight Dinge bases.  The base colour for the rocks is Incubi Darkness, but then it's drybrushed up with the same greys as the rest of the base (Dawnstone, Administratum Grey, Ulthuan Grey).  I think the darker base really suits the bright colours of Tzeentch, and I think it'll be a nice contrast throughout the entire force.

Varnish

I've had terrible trouble with Purity Seal recently.  Since they change the style of the can I've not been able to use it without misting.  It's a horrible experience to have spent so much time painting a model only to have it ruined in 10 seconds because of a rattlecan.

For my Tzeentch force I've been pointed towards the Windsor and Newton General Matt Varnish spray can.  Turns out it's what is used by the guys who make the displays at Warhammer World.  A note to anyone who decides to use this varnish - it goes onto the model quite wet, and I noticed that the rim of the bases looks like it has an eggshell pattern on it.  However, once it dries (and I used a hairdryer to help it along it's way) it has a great finish.

So with that, I've based Slop to see how it all works and how the varnish works on brighter colours.

IMG_1798.JPG

IMG_1800.JPG

IMG_1801.JPG

IMG_1804.JPG

IMG_1809.JPG

Morning all - one final update for the Gaunt Summoner this morning.

Last night I based the warscroll and varnished them.  I'm really happy with how everything has turned out.  I swapped the rim colour from grey to black because I feel that a black rim to a base looks better in a cabinet; which will be where they'll be sitting until I can actually get another game with them.

Anyway, apologies for the bad picture - I'm going to see about borrowing a proper camera over the weekend and see about taking some good pictures on a white background.

IMG_1821.JPG

Awesome painting!

You proved me wrong with the bone shoulder pads - I never imagined that they would work so well - highlighting them up to look so clean was a genius move.

I look forward to seeing what you tackle next. I imagine that heavily armoured models will look impressive in your blue/gold/bone scheme - do you have any planned?

MGP

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm glad my work is going down so well. Nothing heavily armoured planned as yet. I suppose it all depends what GW release for the Arcanites. Although we'll have to see what the new Magnus model looks like in the flesh. He may become a daemon prince for AoS.

Anyway, next up is going to be two Heralds of Tzeentch. One on foot and the other on Burning Chariot. I'm hoping to start tomorrow.

I've managed to complete the Herald on foot this week. There's a tiny conversion where I've taken the feather that goes on the staff and added it to his wrist. I like the feather theme throughout Tzeentch, and as the Herald is a hero it was apt that he should have one.

I'm much happier with the blend and highlight on this feather than I was on the Gaunt Summoner. This one looks a lot more vibrant and the edge highlights of Screaming Skull and White are much clearer.

The overall colour of the Herald could probably be worked on next time. There are areas of the skin where I think I've not highlighted enough, and the purple areas aren't a vivid as I'd ideally like. However, that's something that I can look at with the Herald on Burning Chariot, and the Pink Horrors further down the line. Overall I'm extremely happy with how this model has turned out.

I've started working on the base of the chariot for the next Herald. The plan is to get that done, then the Herald, then I'll look at getting the airbrush out to tackle the screamers en-masse.

C&C welcome as always.

IMG_1880.JPG

IMG_1881.JPG

IMG_1882.JPG

IMG_1883.JPG

IMG_1884.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Work continues on the Burning Chariot.  I've painted the books and scrolls, and the blades coming from the disc.  I'm not completely happy with the book with the crisscross text effect.  I think I'll repaint that one tonight.  Left to do on the disc are the arms that the books sit on, apart from the Screamer book, which is done.  Then it's the yellow bookmarks coming from the spiral text book, and finally the feathers.  Then it's onto the Herald himself.

I've been playing about with an old digital camera and a sheet of paper to take better pictures of the models I've completed.  I've even bought a second daylight lamp to ensure I don't get too many shadows.  The background on the pictures isn't as pure white as I'd hoped for, but I'm sure with a little practise I'll be able to create much better images.  I've posted them here for prosperity.

C&C welcome as usual.

IMG_1913.JPG

IMG_1914.JPG

IMG_1915.JPG

IMG_1916.JPG

14797551_10154630458709268_1589155288_n.jpg

14805433_10154630458719268_579704499_n.jpg

14813529_10154630458714268_944513325_n.jpg

14800958_10154630458704268_2030064404_n.jpg

14753907_10154630458389268_4419518906093528255_o.jpg

I'm contemplating adding some snow to my bases.  I'm a little unsure how some of the daemons will look on the dark bases, such as the screamers and flamers.  I'm aiming to have my blues dark light the Gaunt Summoners armour, and I'm not sure the models themselves will stand out enough from the bases.

Also, I'm looking to use this force as a basis for the Tzeentch force for 40k too, with some of the new plastic Thousand Sons once they're released.  They will also probably end up having the dark armour of the Gaunt Summoner to ensure the force looks cohesive.

What do you think?

12 hours ago, Mengel Miniatures said:

All of this is amazing, so clean and bright, I love it! 

I wouldn't put snow on the base personally, it will distract from the bright colors of the models themselves.

Thanks for that!

Yeah, I'm not 100% sold on putting snow on the bases yet.  I think I'm going to wait to see how the Screamers come out on the Burning Chariot.

In the meanwhile I've tested what the snow would look like using the test base I made a few weeks ago.  I popped into my local GW and got the opportunity to try out the new Valhallan Blizzard textured paint.  I must say I'm very impressed.  It's quick and easy to use and the end result is very realistic.  In the past I've used Woodland Scenic Snow Flock with some water effect to make snow, which is also great; but I think any snow in the future I'll just use this product instead!

IMG_1920.JPG

9 hours ago, Aaron Schmidt said:

Great work on these Tzeentch models! I'm excited to see how these go. 

What did you do the feather highlighting with?  Simply white, or was it watered down or something? You really give those feathers some dimension without making them look chalky or washed out. 

They're actually highlighted with screaming skull, and then spot highlights of white.

Archived