Orruk Brute and Gore-Grunta Weapon Choices?

Koula

Hey guys, I have 2 boxes of Brutes to assemble (and 6 partially assembled gore-gruntas).  With the Brutes, I've put 5 together so far (1 with boss-smasha/claw, 1 with the massive gore-choppa and the other 3 with choppas).

I'm sort of stuck umming and ahhing about whether to make the next box of 5 the same way, or kit them out with the 2H jagged gore-hackas. (and one having the massive gore-choppa).   I'm guessing its best to stick with choppas in units of 5 but switch to gore-hackas in units of 10+?

I'm also deciding on what the gore-gruntas should be riding with, choppas or spears/hackas (though it seems good ol choppas are the popular choice).

Just looking for some advice/recommendations on how to best equip them. (I should probably mention I'm an AoS noobie and just starting out with Orruks)

1500 points is the standard army size at the FLGS/club and my Ironjawz collection/arsenal so far consists of:

1 Maw-krusha

1 Megaboss on foot

1 Weirdnob

2 Warchanters

2 x 10 'Ardboyz (mixed weapons, full command)

2 x 5 Brutes (?)

2 x 3 Gore-Gruntas (partially assembled, probably give them all choppas?)

I think on Gore-Gruntas from a gaming point of view choppa's are really the best choice, especially in units of 3 models.  

Aesthetically I think the gore hacka's look better but the extra reach is of limited use on models on such large bases as unless you have the model side on (maximizing the amount of attackers your opponent can make against you) you wont be able to reach over your own models anyway.

I would also refer you to the gargant-like thread in this section of the destruction forum called "competitive ironjawz" there has been loads of great discussions and ideas thrashed out in those 13 or so pages that should be the first stop for  all new megaboss's 

on pigs I'd always take choppas but if your takings units of 6 or more may want to change that 

for brutes in 10s  if you are happy to have a more strung out formation 2 Choppas but if you want a tight unit jagged Hackas. I think of the 7 models (so 2 gorehackas and boss who should in front anyway) that can fight in a 10 if 2 can't get in with 2 Choppas then you would have been better to go with jagged hackas 

Y

On ‎19‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 4:41 PM, Sangfroid said:

I would also refer you to the gargant-like thread in this section of the destruction forum called "competitive ironjawz" there has been loads of great discussions and ideas thrashed out in those 13 or so pages that should be the first stop for  all new megaboss's 

Yeh as Kieran says it's well worth having a good read through this one...

But in short, my rule of thumb is Choppas on units of 5 Brutes and Jagged-hackas on units of 10. Whilst I would say that's a reasonably common outlook, there's certainly potential in other configurations.

Likewise, Choppas are the most efficient option on Gore-gruntas, but the Jagged-hackas look so much cooler!

Archived