Just bought Warcry, have questions!

PiotrW

Hello there, guys!

A few days ago, I gave in and got myself a Warcry starter, along with the Cypher Lords box. Now, I have a few quick questions related to this game... Can you help?

1. What's up with the terrain sets for this game? I looked at the Warcry terrains sold separately (like Souldrain Forest etc.) and they seem to include the terrain from the starter in some of their configurations. But... the starter isn't available anymore, at least not from GW (I got mine from a retailer who had some stock left). Is GW planning on releasing the starter terrain separately?

2. I've heard that the assembly instructions for the terrain included in the starter are somewhat wrong and tell you to glue stuff that shouldn't be glued together.... Is there some sort of resource with the corrected assembly instructions?

3. From your experience, is it possible to play Warcry on your own terrain?

4. The warband creation rules say that a warband should have total value up to 1000 points. But I did some calculations and, for example, the Cypher Lords from the box sum up to way below 1000 points. So, what to do with the remaining points? Hire Allies? Buy another box of Cypher Lords..?

5. Why is there a 28mm base? I thought that WG used 25mm and 32mm bases for small models. Why do we need 28mm now??? This is madness! Heresy! Agh!  🥶 😵 🤪

(okay, maybe the last question isn't completely serious... )

Can you help, guys? I'd appreciate your input.

1. Not that they’ve said, though similar bits are available in the azyrite ruins sets.

2. Main thing is don’t glue the stairs onto anything. Keep them loose, as if you want to field the scenery as in the terrain cards, these can go anywhere. Second thing is that often the statue head is pictured without the platform on top, so you might not want to glue that; but tbh I ended up gluing mine anyway, just for stability, so anytime I put the head down it has a platform on top. Not been a big deal; and you are not asked to put the platform down without the head ever.

3. Absolutely. Either by substituting similar pieces for what is pictured on the cards, or just by ignoring the terrain cards and putting down a custom, random, or mutually constructed configuration before victory conditions are drawn.

4. Not sure what you mean - the cypherlords as built on the box come to 965 points, I think? Are you mistaking mirrorblades for mindbounds?  I don’t play them personally. But if you want to grow your warband as part of a campaign, or give you more build options, then yes, a second box is advisable; or, as you say, looking at allies and monsters.

5. Hadn’t really noticed!

Edited by Baron Wastelands
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Baron Wastelands said:

1. Not that they’ve said, though similar bits are available in the azyrite ruins sets.

It's a bit strange, isn't it? One of the sets they are selling is relatively similar, but doesn't feature the wooden bridges and ladders... And these are useful.

2. Main thing is don’t glue the stairs onto anything. Keep them loose, as if you want to field the scenery as in the terrain cards, these can go anywhere. Second thing is that often the statue head is pictured without the platform on top, so you might not want to glue that; but tbh I ended up gluing mine anyway, just for stability, so anytime I put the head down it has a platform on top. Not been a big deal; and you are not asked to put the platform down without the head ever.

What about the bell? I seem to recall that the bell could be placed in various locations, too - but maybe I'm mistaken?

3. Absolutely. Either by substituting similar pieces for what is pictured on the cards, or just by ignoring the terrain cards and putting down a custom, random, or mutually constructed configuration before victory conditions are drawn.

Cool! I have some scenery already and I'd like to use it.

4. Not sure what you mean - the cypherlords as built on the box come to 965 points, I think?

Ah, yes. Sorry, I miscalculated... Disregard this question, then :)

5. Hadn’t really noticed!

Heh. It really jumped at me...

Oh, and another question:

6. If I assemble the whole scenery set, will it fit into the box the starter came in? I'm running out of shelf space and containers...

Thanks!

One more question: what's the status of the Warcry-related monsters? Are they going to permanently available or are they one-off releases? I ordered a Chimera at my retailer on Black Friday and it still has not arrived - GW seems to be out of stock. I'm wondering whether they are planning on making more Chimeras or whether they are all gone forever...

On 2/9/2020 at 7:11 AM, Ahriman said:

And yes, all the terrain fits perfectly in the box it came with.

I actually had quite a hard time fitting the terrain in with the cards, dice, board, and books. I finally managed though and here's the configuration:

1729972628_WarcryStarterTerrainFit.jpg.ba52cf85fad0b4d31eec0559297e5599.jpg

I think at some stage I'll get some foam sheeting and cut the shapes in so that everything goes in nicely and doesn't bump against each other when painted. Note: the loose little bits on top of things will go in the gaps beneath.

43 minutes ago, Luca said:

i have one question also, if i have 2 wepaons in my fighter card  can i attack whit both in the same activation?

Erm, technically yes. You have to choose One per action, but two actions per activation, so you can use one then the next. Note that you must attack an enemy fighter that is within 1” if you can, so you can’t shoot at something else unless you take them down first.

For terrain building i would just build some medium and small structures that you think look good and roll with it. Definitely keep the stairs separate so you can place them where you want but i dont think its important to make the board layouts exactly as pictured. I just made 5 or so different ruins and i can pretty closely replicate the layouts on the cards. There are so many different deployments, victory conditions and terrain layouts that randomly selecting them as the rules are written often leads to imbalanced games anyway, so i dont think you need to worry about it too much.

On 2/17/2020 at 9:44 PM, Baron Wastelands said:

Erm, technically yes. You have to choose One per action, but two actions per activation, so you can use one then the next. Note that you must attack an enemy fighter that is within 1” if you can, so you can’t shoot at something else unless you take them down first.

Wäre is this described in the rules? i did not find this.

26 minutes ago, SerialMoM said:

Wäre is this described in the rules? i did not find this.

Page 44 of the core rule book, under 1. PICK A WEAPON AND TARGET. Second paragraph says “If there are any enemy fighters within 1” of the fighter making the attack action, one of those enemy fighters must be picked to be the target, and the weapon used cannot have a minimum range”.