Attacking while flying

Baron Wastelands

So just wanted to check our interpretation.

Had a situation yesterday where I wanted to attack a stormcast judicator in melee with a Kharadron endrinrigger.  The judicator was on a platform, one of the little ones, so with a 40mm base there was nowhere for the endrinrigger to land within 1” of him. Now, in the Errata/FAQ, it says that a model can climb as part of a move action and then make a melee attack action, but then fall.

The way I understand it, and the way we played it, is that the only way to attack the judicator is for the flyer to fly to the bottom of the wall, then climb up the wall until its base is within 1” of the judicator’s base (all with its first action) then make a melee attack action, then fall back to the ground below (though immune to impact damage because flyer).  We therefore agreed that the judicator was not locked in melee, as bases were more than 1” apart, so it could shoot at any visible target in range afterwards.

Did we play this right? I can’t see any way  to make an attack while flying, as such.

I would say so.. But not entirely sure. However I think that Warcry has these situations pop up every now and then that we just have to agree on on the spot.  and Warcry being the fast paced simple game that it is, I much rather figure these situations out in the heat of the moment, than go through endless forums and potential FAQs to make it 100% right. 

Of course this style of play doesn’t work very well in a tournement😉

9 hours ago, Greasygeek said:

I much rather figure these situations out in the heat of the moment

Sure. And that’s exactly what we did 😉

But as this seems likely to happen often with flyers, I checked through the rules more thoroughly after the game, and just thought I’d ask anyone else who might have hit the same issue.

I like your interpretation of the rules even though it might distort imagining reality a bit. It sounds like you played it in a fair way. 

Im guessing “fly” shouldn’t be given more thought than just being able to ignore vertical while moving, until we get an adapted rules set.