Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
pbL`

Second Army

Recommended Posts

I've started AoS 2 months ago and I really enjoy the game so far. I started the game with a friend of mine and now want to play with some new people in our local shop. Since my background is boardgaming I've a lot of friends somewhat interested in the AoS. Therefore I'm looking for a second army, preferably with using 1-2 battleboxes. 

I've started Ossiarch Bonereapers, just checked the GW homepage and fell in love with the models. If I would have spend more time in choosing an army I would have chosen Legion of Nagash because I really like the different legions and opportunites. My long term plan is to have a Grand Alliance Death army. I am totally aware of the disadvantages of a Grand Alliance but I just like the idea to choose from different Death armies.

For my second army I'm looking for something which plays different than OB, overall for 1000 -1250 points. I'm really not a big fan of shooting-only armies .  Addtionally I want to have at least one big model in the army - I really love almost all the big models of AoS.

Since I still have not a complete and good overview of all armies I hope you guys can help me.

Thanks in advance,

Chris 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, pbL` said:

I've started AoS 2 months ago and I really enjoy the game so far. I started the game with a friend of mine and now want to play with some new people in our local shop. Since my background is boardgaming I've a lot of friends somewhat interested in the AoS. Therefore I'm looking for a second army, preferably with using 1-2 battleboxes. 

I've started Ossiarch Bonereapers, just checked the GW homepage and fell in love with the models. If I would have spend more time in choosing an army I would have chosen Legion of Nagash because I really like the different legions and opportunites. My long term plan is to have a Grand Alliance Death army. I am totally aware of the disadvantages of a Grand Alliance but I just like the idea to choose from different Death armies.

For my second army I'm looking for something which plays different than OB, overall for 1000 -1250 points. I'm really not a big fan of shooting-only armies .  Addtionally I want to have at least one big model in the army - I really love almost all the big models of AoS.

Since I still have not a complete and good overview of all armies I hope you guys can help me.

Thanks in advance,

Chris 

For an army that’s fun and easy to learn to play why not ogors? 
grt the start collecting and you have 760 points. Add a hunter with some frost sabres and you have great 1K army for friends to play. 
impressive centre piece model, easy to understand as a new player,  good base to build into a bigger army. The hunter adds a fun easy to understand tactical challenge and the army doesn’t depend on cleverly keeping things within synergy range. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would take a look at Ironjawz. They will be a very different play experience and Orruks are always fun.  They have a good set of rules and are a fairly strong army  2 SC boxes will get you 2 Warchanters, 6 Goregruntas and 20 Ardboys, a grand total of 900 points.  All are good units and 2 Warchanter lists are quite common.  The Mawcrusha is a great centrepiece model too.  Then you can add some magic with a Wierdnob.  Check out the Destruction forum for more details.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not the biggest fan of the range as it’s quite limited at the moment but if you want to stay with Death and do it cheaply via SC boxes then Flesh Eater Courts would make sense to me.

otherwise Ogors (beastclaw) is the other obvious big model, SC box driven army.

Edited by JPjr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Goonhammer did a breakdown of the AoS Start Collecting Boxes:

https://www.goonhammer.com/start-collecting-age-of-sigmar/

 

Some of the higher points ones  (500+pts) from a single box were: Beastclaw Raiders; Daemons of Tzeentch; Flesh Eater Courts; Khorne Bloodbound; and Stormcast Eternals. 

 

Tzeentch is out re: no shooting. Stormcast and Khorne might be good re: the amount of cheap models you can pick up on eBay; Flesh Eater Courts and Beastclaw raiders have a bonus of being the two highest points (c.700pts), both also coming with a big centrepiece model. Given you already play dead-boys, Ogors seem a winner. And Ogors are just cool besides.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, TonyH122 said:

Goonhammer did a breakdown of the AoS Start Collecting Boxes:

https://www.goonhammer.com/start-collecting-age-of-sigmar/

 

Some of the higher points ones  (500+pts) from a single box were: Beastclaw Raiders; Daemons of Tzeentch; Flesh Eater Courts; Khorne Bloodbound; and Stormcast Eternals. 

 

Tzeentch is out re: no shooting. Stormcast and Khorne might be good re: the amount of cheap models you can pick up on eBay; Flesh Eater Courts and Beastclaw raiders have a bonus of being the two highest points (c.700pts), both also coming with a big centrepiece model. Given you already play dead-boys, Ogors seem a winner. And Ogors are just cool besides.

You can easily go no shooting to all shooting and everything in between in Tzeentch and still be viable. Its one of the most diverse armies with 40 different models kits (and far more unit choices) to draw from. But for a 100% no shooting base, you would want to start with an StD SC box. Not a bad idea honestly, as it can be played as 5 completely different armies just by swapping books.

Edited by AverageBoss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am in a similar boat and it is driving me nuts. I am looking to create an order army to combat my Slaves to Darkness and I cannot even begin to think of the best army for me. I am interested in Aelvish armies but Stormcast are the most cost efficient particularly with the Battleforce. I am drawn towards Daughters of Khaine but they lack a start collecting box which is a good entry point.  I also can get my hands on an Idoneth Battleforce which is very tempting but I prefer their infantry which are apparently not great (although I am leaning hard in this direction). I tend to prefer 'elite' armies and my friends play Seraphon and Cities of Sigmar (Focus on Dispossessed) and I do not want to step on their toes.

Returning to your situation, I will add another vote for a fun Beastclaw oriented Ogor army. It will, not only be different, but it can let you fill your army with monsters. I like the suggestion of a Gristlegore focused Flesh Eater Court army that is full of dragons/terrorgheists but I feel it may be better to focus on a different alliance. Beasts of Chaos might be a fun alternative if (like me) you are not overly concerned about the competitive viability of the army, and can open you up to more Chaosy-goodness. There are also persistent rumours about Giants getting their own army but I cannot speak to that in any meaningful way.

Edited by Neverchosen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the good advises - now my wife hopped in and pushed me to Nurgle. I've to say - just modelwise - this is really one of my absolute favorite armies. I know the battletome is relatively old - but hopefully they'll receive a new one in the near future. Do you guys think it's possible to play ~1000 points Nurgle and include a Great Unclean One (or even a Glotkin)?

Even it is a little bit more than 1k points, I think about Great Unclean One, one battle box of Maggotkin of Nurgle and maybe an additonal box of  Putrid Blightkings. Is this at least a decent idea?

14 hours ago, AverageBoss said:

You can easily go no shooting to all shooting and everything in between in Tzeentch and still be viable. Its one of the most diverse armies with 40 different models kits (and far more unit choices) to draw from. But for a 100% no shooting base, you would want to start with an StD SC box. Not a bad idea honestly, as it can be played as 5 completely different armies just by swapping books.

@AverageBoss can you explain the issue with 5 different armies? I have no idea what you're talking about.

Thanks in advance

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, pbL` said:

can you explain the issue with 5 different armies? I have no idea what you're talking about.

Slaves to Darkness units can be given a 'mark' of one of the 4 gods and then used in their respective armies too. So yes effectively you can use them in 5 different armies, the new models in the SC box are great too.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pbL` said:

Thanks for all the good advises - now my wife hopped in and pushed me to Nurgle. I've to say - just modelwise - this is really one of my absolute favorite armies. I know the battletome is relatively old - but hopefully they'll receive a new one in the near future. Do you guys think it's possible to play ~1000 points Nurgle and include a Great Unclean One (or even a Glotkin)?

Even it is a little bit more than 1k points, I think about Great Unclean One, one battle box of Maggotkin of Nurgle and maybe an additonal box of  Putrid Blightkings. Is this at least a decent idea?

@AverageBoss can you explain the issue with 5 different armies? I have no idea what you're talking about.

Thanks in advance

As JPjr said.
Specifically you can use them as:
Slaves to Darkness
Disciples of Tzeentch
Maggotkin of Nurgle
Blades of Khorne
or Hedonites of Slaneesh

This requires no modifications, alternate building, or anything. Just change books, and you have a pretty different experience using the same models. This holds trues for a large portion of the StD range due to their marks, not just the SC box.

Edited by AverageBoss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thats really good to know - thanks a lot! So I just have to buy the Slaves of Darkness book aswell?

Are there any opinions on the Great Unclean issue?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say that Nurgle and Ossiarch have a lot if similarities at a glance. Both high in survivability and otherwise rounded. Ossiarch might feel as "Nurgle, but better" in play 

Not an expert though, I neither have, nor like, both armies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pbL` said:

Thats really good to know - thanks a lot! So I just have to buy the Slaves of Darkness book aswell?

Are there any opinions on the Great Unclean issue?

If you are interested in running the StD models with the StD allegiance rules, then you will want the StD book. 1D4chan gives a quick rundown of roughly what the allegiance abilities do for each army, if you want a glance. And running them as Nurgle, you could use the Great Unclean One with them.

That said, running big expensive centerpiece models in small armies is doable, but can be rough (some of them are nearly or actually impossible to fit). At 1K, a GUO is 34% of your points on its own. Glotkin is 42% of your points. So doable, but you wont have many options left.

StD SC box is 630 points btw, so it and a GUO would be a 970 point Nurgle list.
Nurgle mortal box is roughly 500.
Nurgle Daemon box is 540.

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Age_of_Sigmar/Tactics#Army_Tactics

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going for one of army from each grand alliance, have death and order left to do

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get the Souls War set and model your Stormcasts and Nighthaunts after Maximo and Grim from the Ghosts to Glory series. :D

220px-Maximo_vs._Army_of_Zin.jpg

(Plus you know, both are powerful armies that you can easily build off of)

6 hours ago, Neverchosen said:

I also can get my hands on an Idoneth Battleforce which is very tempting but I prefer their infantry which are apparently not great (although I am leaning hard in this direction)

Ah man, I got that set and it's sooo good I gotta say dive in ( ;) ).

The eel knights are definitely the better force but the army can focus on infantry too. You can always ally in Khainites, Sylvaneth and Stormcasts too to buff up your infantry front lines as well plus make some cool themes like Melusai seasnakes, coral sylvans or Stormcasts from the Dawnblades host made up of coastal tribes and sailors.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Baron Klatz thank you for the advice. I will take the plunge :D but I am very busy this week and I am not sure if I can grab it until the following week, hopefully it doesn't get sold in that time.  I will report back if I am able to purchase it, but I am getting excited about the thought of getting some nautical themed elves.

They will also help fill the hole from of my old Dark Elf army, that I regret selling many years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haha, nothing worse than those regrets. You can always ally in some scourge privateers for memory sake at least. ;)

Best of luck with the battleforce box. Let no hunters collect that sunken treasure before you do. :D

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Baron Klatz I was able to find some free time and swing by the hobby-shop and got my hands on the battleforce. Thanks for the encouragement, and I am excited to get to work on my sea elves. Although, I promised my partner I would finish my painting my Chaos first. 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...