Help picking first warband

Lovehatter

Hi everyone! I am trying to pick my first warband and am trying to decide between Beasts of Chaos and the Kharadron Overlords.  Which are easier to learn and start playing with? I found some info on the Beasts of Chaos in Warcry but not much, if any, on the KOs. I am not sure where to even begin with them, to be honest. Any help would be appreciated!

Honestly, Rule of Cool, what do you like better? B.c you'll be painting and playing with them a bit, might as well get what you like.

With that said, Boc is melee focus with a range unit, big and/or small guys running right at the opponent. While KO is more about shooting and having some guys sit back with others flying around. 

So pick that one you like more, it being style of play or looks.

• Like 3

Appreciate the input! I think that’s my problem... lol. I really like how both look, and I’m unsure if I’d like a shootier band or a run up and smash them warband. Lol. Do you think one would be easier to learn with or more forgiving for a newbie? 

Edited by Lovehatter

i think a melee warband would be a little bit better for a new player because your not spending the game running away from your opponents trying to keep them in a position were you can shoot at them. your can throw stuff at the objective and not worry about minimum range at all. just throwing in my little bit, take it if you want wit a grain of salt.

good luck😄

• Like 1

If you're just looking to learn, I reckon either will work and don't worry if you lose - remember, "success isn't a very good teacher".

If you do have trouble picking it up you can always start simple and add rules incrementally. I did this with my kids (6 and 8 years old). First game was a terrain card, each deployed along one short edge of the board, roll-off to decide who goes first then alternate turns, move and attack, last one standing wins. Next game added climbing, jumping, falling, and initiative rules. Then terrain (dangerous, cover, etc), disengage, and wait rules. Then victory and twist rules. Lastly, I'll introduce abilities.

If you're worried about winning against more experienced players with them while you learn, then yeah, as @recoilia said, melee focused might be a tad simpler.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for the replies. Good point about incremental rule additions as I learn that will probably help. These decks are larger and more intimidating than the last ones. I don’t have much time to experiment with a bunch of different warbands but melee does seem to have less to focus on in the beginning. When I build my teams, what should I focus on? Like speed, toughness, attack? I mean I’m trying to figure out how to compare how teams play and how they will play for a beginner. I was thinking speed seems awfully important, but I’m not sure if it is in practice. Sorry for the thousand questions, I just really don’t have a ton of time to customize my band and learn and still have a really bad team. Lol

3 hours ago, Lovehatter said:

Thanks so much for the replies. Good point about incremental rule additions as I learn that will probably help. These decks are larger and more intimidating than the last ones. I don’t have much time to experiment with a bunch of different warbands but melee does seem to have less to focus on in the beginning. When I build my teams, what should I focus on? Like speed, toughness, attack? I mean I’m trying to figure out how to compare how teams play and how they will play for a beginner. I was thinking speed seems awfully important, but I’m not sure if it is in practice. Sorry for the thousand questions, I just really don’t have a ton of time to customize my band and learn and still have a really bad team. Lol

For a starter warband, you want a bit of everything so you can figure out your preferred playstyle. If models are no object, I’d go for something like:

Bestigor hero

Bestigor

Bullgor with 2-hander

dragon ogor with 2 weapons

2 ungors with bows

3 gors with 2 weapons

990 pts

If you don’t have any models yet, however, I’d get a box of Bullgors  (or a box of dragon ogors, if you prefer the look) and a box of ungors (again, or gors)  to start with, will give you a good range of options. The underworlds (beastgrave) BoC warband will also give you some beautiful models that are all useful, although only available in the starter set at the moment I think.

• Like 2

Honestly.... why not both ? :D

I started with one warband. Now I have 4. Now truth is 2 of those I have as a full fledged AoS army as well, so all I needed was the card packs, but I still got two more warbands. 

Corvus cabal > my TRUE Warcry warband, made for warcry, balanced for warcry. 2 boxes so I can play two Shrike talons because they look amazing but so does the whole warband, and are effective for the price tag. Also did I say they look amazing ? :D 

Untamed Beast > Stand in for my BoC, when Warcry launched and nobody was sure if its gonna be a standalone game or if the AoS armies will be included (wish they never were, it broke the games balance horribly). Got the cards pack at a discounted price. Played them 3/4 times. Dont like em, and now hat I got proper BoC cards these guys wont see table at all since I used Beastmen miniatures as proxy for them anyway.

DoK - I have about 1500-2K DoK army for Aos. Just got the cards. Like em for fun matches, despite the warband being pathetically weak as they are in Warcry.

BoC - My TRUE non Warcry warband. Love em. Will play them a lot. Hell maybe even more than my Corvus Cabal, simply because I love Beastmen and now that they have proper cards, I no longer need to use the Untamed Beast one as stand in.

The cards packs are limited one time investment. Limited > yes, there wont be anymore cards once the current batch is fully sold out, this is official info, not my assumption. So honestly, buy both Card Packs if you have the option to do so. You can then buy models for the one you want to start with, and after you`ve had your fill and want to try something new, you are all set and go (you can proxy the miniatures, or maybe buy them second hand for cheaper if money is the issue, since you dont  need that many for Warcry anyway.). 

Edited by Myrdin
  • Like 1

take kharadron as you only need an arkanaut company and maybe a squad of the balloons or the rifle dudes, as long as you dont play hardcore shooting builds and split melee / shooting, everything is fine. and grab the beasts of chaos pack, just in case you like to take an other approach to the game.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Baron Wastelands said:

For a starter warband, you want a bit of everything so you can figure out your preferred playstyle.

Also, from my limited experience, a balanced warband will help you out with all the different types of Victory (and Twist?) cards. Some favour speed, others strength or toughness.

• Like 1

Keep in mind that Warcry allows to have more than one warband and rotate them when you feel like you'd like to change things up a bit. I mean if you feel like you get tired of shooting things, avoiding getting hit and want to jump into the fray and smack faces with a big axe then having both of them is the best way to go. 

Also, you are the only one who knows what you like. You don't need us to tell you what you like :)

• Like 1