Regiments of Renown, or AoS Skirmish

All I hear are the opening salvos of hate for AoS: "AoS is really a poorly made skirmish game". I find it hard to argue AoS is (or ever was) a skirmish game.

It also looks like they deleted the rules from the Warhammer World Page, for some reason...

Honestly I think a Warbands size game (200-500 pts) with no unit cost restrictions works better. For RoR you don't get to use the cool heroes that actually make AoS a game.

But wait can you blend non-heroes and various factions into a regiment of awesomeness?

Maybe this just appeals to me from a painting and modelling perspective but I'm thinking of all sorts of cool stuff.

They could be banner bearers or musicians too right? Just for effect. Got to read these rules thoroughly I think.

It seems to me that as long as the rules aren't super pants the feeling of having such a motley crew together and themed is awesome.

IF it was multiple races in the alliance that'd be cool.

/Edit they took the rules down.

1 hour ago, Turragor said:

But wait can you blend non-heroes and various factions into a regiment of awesomeness?

Maybe this just appeals to me from a painting and modelling perspective but I'm thinking of all sorts of cool stuff.

They could be banner bearers or musicians too right? Just for effect. Got to read these rules thoroughly I think.

It seems to me that as long as the rules aren't super pants the feeling of having such a motley crew together and themed is awesome.

IF it was multiple races in the alliance that'd be cool.

/Edit they took the rules down.

Try this link, it appears to be working.

http://warhammerworld.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/Warhammer-Age-of-Sigmar-Regiment-of-Renown-pack-2-FINAL.pdf

If you buy the Mini starter set 'Storm of Sigmar' the first two battleplans are Skirmish battles using 4 or 6 models.

I don't think it would be too hard to make rules for skirmish games. Maybe limit the forces to one hero with a certain number of wounds (8 or 10) and for the model cost take the General's handbook unit cost and divide it up e.g. Liberators are 100 for 5 so they are 20pt each.

Some of the warscrolls would lose unit abilities but that shouldn't be a big issue for a good speedy game. I might give it a shot myself.

4 hours ago, Turragor said:

The regiment of renown rules pack seems like a good start imo, it'd be battleplans you'd need I think.

It says you are supposed to use the Matched Play battleplans, but on a board that is 4x4.  Not sure how I feel about that.  I mean the battleplans.  It was one of the things I was most skeptical about in the event pack.  Mainly because I imagine this sort of skirmish game happening on a ton of terrain.  I mean, I'd personally want the board as packed as possible.  So I'm not sure how the battleplans would interact with that much terrain.  Worth a try though. 

I've been thinking about running an campaign in the winter, with our first game using the regiments of renown rule, and then escalating each game session.  I've always liked the idea of a smaller skirmish game, that plays quickly and makes getting into the game easy.  Which of course, the barrier to AoS isn't all that high to begin with, but I still like the skirmish idea.

14 minutes ago, MechaBriZilla said:

I mean, I'd personally want the board as packed as possible.

I would love it to be the mordheim / necromunda equivalent to AoS/Fantasy/40k in this sense.

Custom boards of awesomeness.

Bustling multilevel towns or dozens of intricate walkways between 2 close mountain peaks kind of thing.

16 minutes ago, MechaBriZilla said:

I've always liked the idea of a smaller skirmish game, that plays quickly and makes getting into the game easy.  Which of course, the barrier to AoS isn't all that high to begin with, but I still like the skirmish idea.

I agree, there's a great appeal there for me. I love the idea of the warband progression in the GHB but it can be, what,  7 units to start? That's a full on army in my eyes.

23 hours ago, Turragor said:

I would love it to be the mordheim / necromunda equivalent to AoS/Fantasy/40k in this sense.

Custom boards of awesomeness.

Bustling multilevel towns or dozens of intricate walkways between 2 close mountain peaks kind of thing.

I agree, there's a great appeal there for me. I love the idea of the warband progression in the GHB but it can be, what,  7 units to start? That's a full on army in my eyes.

Absolutely!  I small single unit tactical combat game would be so easy to implement within AoS.  Wouldn't even need a separate mini line to do it, could easily work within the confines of the existing models.  If they did it right, they could make it a really nice intro game.

And yes, 7 units starting out is quite a bit, if you are trying to show the game off to new players.

Archived