DRYCHA HAMADRETH starting off the table - enraged ?

Keith

Question

3 answers to this question

On 2/3/2020 at 2:58 AM, Keith said:

If Drycha starts off the table hidden , can  you declare that she is enraged or embittered ?

I say yeah ? as she is never neither , she must be enraged or embittered ?

Sorry for the late answer. Yes, you can use Mercurial Aspect when Drycha is in reserves:

"Q: Can models set up in reserve (in the Celestial Realm, for example) cast spells, or use abilities or command abilities to affect other units? A: No. Only models deployed on the battlefield can cast spells, or use abilities or command abilities to affect other units."

(https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/8f9bd00c.pdf, page 4)

As you can see, wether you can or can not use an ability from "outside" the table depends on wether it affects other units. Mercurial Aspect does not damage or otherwise influence another unit in any way, so you are fine to use it.

Also remember: You have to declare the  Mercurial Aspect mode before your opponent and you roll off for initiative (start of the battle round).

10 hours ago, Isotop said:

As you can see, wether you can or can not use an ability from "outside" the table depends on wether it affects other units.

Oof. I think it's a big stretch to say that "No, you cannot use abilities to affect other units while off the board" automatically means "Yes, you can use abilities that don't affect other units while off the board." That's a really dodgy inference. It's pretty typical of GW to clarify only the exact question asked, while failing to elaborate on corollary questions.

I'd suggest talking it over with your opponent, TO, or whatever before the game. Most people will probably be fine to let Drycha do her thing.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Kadeton said:

Oof. I think it's a big stretch to say that "No, you cannot use abilities to affect other units while off the board" automatically means "Yes, you can use abilities that don't affect other units while off the board." That's a really dodgy inference. It's pretty typical of GW to clarify only the exact question asked, while failing to elaborate on corollary questions.

I'd suggest talking it over with your opponent, TO, or whatever before the game. Most people will probably be fine to let Drycha do her thing.

Sorry, I might have been a bit unclear.

There is no rule that stops models in reserves from using abilities in the first place. I did not mean to present a false conclusion - the Designer´s Commentary quotation was meant to show that there are indeed restricitons to some abilities (Mercurial Aspect or If I Cannot Rule, None Shall Rule! from Kurdoss are not amongst them).

Edited by Isotop
  • Like 1